why is it?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Horax, May 16, 2017.

1. Horax

Horax Active Member

It seems like if you're going to get into the vintage collecting game, SG's are the way to go.

Set aside their good looks and awesome tone, but why are SG's generally less expensive than say, Teles or Les Paul single cuts?

I don't get it. You can get a jr for about 1000 if you look hard enough, and that's less than several standard models of today.

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

There are only really two factors at play: Demand & Supply.

Demand = desirability
    Supply = rarity

Of course, they can influence each other: It's really really rare, so I really really want it, or everyone wants one, so they're hard to find. When it coms to a specific model, such as a Junior, perhaps most people who desire them do so to play them, rather than put them on display. Now if you're going to play a guitar, it's a good idea to get one that's not too valuable (e.g. rare), but instead pick up a bargain you can take to a gig without too much fear of damage, theft, etc. Thus, they're not so desirable to a lot of collectors, so less demand. (Just a thought).

If you're going to get into the vintage collecting game, I'd say buy what you want to own. Unless you're very shrewd/lucky you'll probably not make much financial profit, so you might as well profit from the pleasure of ownership.

3. DCCable

DCCable Active Member

I have to say that at least some of the desirability I understand and some I just don't get.

Growing up in the 60s I had a friend who owned a 1961 Les Paul (SG) and one who owned a Les Paul gold top with P90s I understand why those guitars are in demand today. Even in the 60s they produced the sound of Rock-N-Roll and were far better sounding instruments than the product Gibson was turning out in the mid to late 60s.

I owned a 1963 Stratocaster and while it was an okay guitar it was not something handed down from the hand of the guitar gods tone wise, or any other way, for that matter. And for that matter it sounded very much like another friends 1954 Strat, and he preferred to play his 1968 ES330 over the 1954 Strat.

So go figure!

Logan likes this.
  4. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Supply and demand. SGs got a bad rap for tunability for a long time and as a result not as many people consider them as a go to choice. You will see 60s JRs going for attractive prices and we each should buy one or two. Many of them were made with rather shallow neck angles that limit how they can be set up. A buyer of a 1K 60s special is weighing all of that against any of a number of great newer models with humbuckers etc. at a lower price point so that keeps the price down as well.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  5. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

I don't know where you're seeing all these sweet deals on Ahs, but in Memphis, Gibson's Memphis, you'll wagon up over $1,000 for a low end SG Standard, and an SG Custom non-issue trades even for a used BMW 5-series with low miles and original tires in good Nick. $5,000 gets you a 1964 SG Junior as well. Same with any Gibson with the least bit of notoriety.

6. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Ahs=SGs. Bunk spell check courtesy of Android.

Raiyn likes this.
  7. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Selling off an SG is like going to the proctologist, however. Its all about the Boo-Yay, and not a sellers market.

8. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

Hey don't even question it.Be thankful you are "in the know" ......;)

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Well, SGs have always been cheaper to begin with because they are less production intensive. Les Pauls have maple caps, bound bodies, carved tops, and often bookmatched flame caps, sunburst finishes, and now chambered bodies. But also, they never gained the mystique of LPs, and the vintage market is all about nostalgic mystique.

cerebral gasket, kiko and DCCable like this.
  10. Dickey001

Dickey001 Member

"But also, they never gained the mystique of LPs,"

Where I grew up (NYC) SGs were THE guitar all of us aspired to own back in the late 60s. LPs & Teles were considered ugly, 335s were not "rock guitars" (well, not until Alvin Lee's "I'm Goin' Home" performance in Woodstock swept the country) Strats were just, well, THERE & OK if you couldn't get a "SIG" (what we called SGs back then). Part of the reason I have one is sound, and part of it is the nostalgia factor which harkens back to a happier time in my life.
    Now, If I could only find a good deal on a Dual Showman or Bandmaster Reverb! There's REAL nostalgia factor. A wall of those babies (remember the inside cover of "Cheap Thrills"? )

drown likes this.
  11. PermissionToLand

I don't believe you can speak for all 8.5 Million NYC residents... sales numbers and residual values certainly suggest that Les Pauls are the most popular.

12. drown

drown Active Member

I certainly didn't read it that way.

13. PermissionToLand

How else would you read that?

14. drown

drown Active Member

Just seemed like a figure of speech referring to all the people he knew when they were kids, 50 years ago, his entourage. I did not occur to me that he meant the entire population of NYC. It was a recollection and not a statement of fact. An interesting one at that, but def. not worth arguing over.

LDS likes this.
  15. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The Juniors & Specials were originally introduced as affordable models.

Those same guitars from the 1960’s can be found today used with asking prices that are higher than a new Standard model.

16. drown

drown Active Member

10X more in fact. Many SG Juniors in pelham blue listed for over $9000