Wife just noticed new Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Paul G., Jan 10, 2018.

1. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

She wants to "talk".

Sure. Bring it on.

My damn money. My damn life.

She can deal with it.

Hah!

BTW: I should have checked where her shotgun is. Ehh -- still worth it!

kiko, Bullfrog, plankton and 3 others like this.
  2. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Haha...those words...they never made it past the thought stage, did they? :D

Good luck, though.

kiko, michaelinokc and Paul G. like this.
  3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Oops. Hopefully me and my girlfriend stay together - we're both gear heads, so I won't have to deal with that.

Currently, our only rules we have currently is if we stay together, we have to be even in numbers - she has to get a new piece of gear before I get one.

Keep us updated :D

PermissionToLand and Paul G. like this.
  4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Ha ha...
    That reminds me of this avatar from a member of another forum:

5732254822_26ebcf9a0a_t.jpg

rotorhead likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

If my missus ever tries to turn on the SG floor lamp in the bedroom, she'll be in for a surprise.

drown, dexspeed, syscokid and 3 others like this.
  6. hraffe

hraffe New Member

Haha, I had such a relationship a year ago. No wonder it ended. I would get it if we had shared economy, but she still wanted us to save for something... I never got for what though. Strangely enough she didn't complain when I bought her stuff. Ahh well, I guess you can't please everyone.

7. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

Oh that guitar, it's an old one that I traded some pedals for. I've had it so long, I forgot about it.

LIE like a rug!!!!

rotorhead likes this.
  8. Paul G.

There was no long, tortured discussion in the height of the recession when I had to sell these.

Flabat.jpg

PermissionToLand and rotorhead like this.
  9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Whenever my ex got like that when I got home with new guitars or amps or guns or grills or whatever that cost more than a dollar or so, she would try to get revenge on me by buying a new shirt or couch or something.

I'd be like...good! Looks nice and you deserve a treat!

That just made it worse usually lol.

Paul G. likes this.
  10. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Oh Sh!t... :wow:

11. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

Loving the single life - and my six Gibson SG's. :smile:

Paul G. likes this.
  12. Paul G.

30 years together, plus all our friends, all her ex-boyfriends are/were musicians. She knows what a sunburst Les Paul is. She's won't mistake a sunburst Les Paul for anything else.

13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

ya, here's the ETSG approved method of getting guitars into the house:
    Thanks Bid, for the concept...
    Guitar Camo 2@100.jpg

Biddlin, kiko, Sp8ctre and 3 others like this.
  14. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

My wife is really cheap and if I buy some sort of pricey gear item her idea of equity is to buy say a potted plant. Being the generous sort I will tell her to go ahead and buy 2. "Hey, it's only money and if buying 2 makes you happy darling, I'm all for it".

Recently I got around to getting out my shred guitar that had been hibernating under the bed for 25 or so years and in all that time she never so much as mentioned or complained about it.

Equity and generosity should be the cornerstone of a loving relationship. Sounds like guys like us have found the keys to to kingdom. :thumb:

Paul G. likes this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

When I read the comments above to my wife she said, "Yeah, you'd better find out where that shotgun is before you open your mouth! Hahaha!"

Now that the kids are out of the house, my wife and I have a system: We give each other a no-questions-asked allowance. We can do whatever we want with it. She likes the ability to impulse buy when she sees something she likes. I like the ability to save for guitar stuff. She cheats... for me. Once I get near my goal she'll often chip in from the family budget to push me over the edge. I cheat... for her. For example, just before Christmas she lost her 20th anniversary band with six diamonds. For Christmas I combined her solitaire with her mother's and had a new ring built that was better than the first.

Frankly, most of my best guitars have been bought for me by her. In November we went on vacation (stay-cation) and visited some stores in the area that each of us wanted to visit. She went with me to a local guitar store where I tried a 12-fret short-scale Taylor. She said, "Wow, I can tell you are really comfortable on this guitar." I asked a few questions and we left to do other business. As soon as we got in the car she said, "I think you ought to get this guitar. We will just make it happen from the family budget." In the end I was able to work an even trade for some older guitars and didn't have to use the family budget. But knowing that the offer was there made trading very, very comfortable. It was a good thing we had the money in the bank a few weeks later when the ring disappeared!

But this is one of those marriage issues that has to be worked out over time with each couple and is developed as you develop trust in each other. Over the years as our little family faced financial challenges I offered to sell my prized Les Paul more times than I can count. My lovely wife always refused to take me up on it. But instances like that, back and forth, are what build up trust and plant the seeds of these solutions. There's nothing like time and the investment of self.

Bob

16. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

I've never had an issue with my beloved over a guitar. Like, I was in a shop, trying out an amp I wanted, Roland JC120 of course, and pulled a used Ric 330 from the wall to check it. Screw the amp, I feel in love with the guitar. And my wife saw that, and as I was playing, she told the salesguy to bring out the case for the guitar since it was coming home with us!
    Another time, we were in a shop, and I was thiking...."blahhhh... crap..." when I get the infamous elbow in the rips, and she goes, "ooooh, that's pretty..." A nice 81 Ibanez AR100! Of course that came home too.

syscokid likes this.
  17. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

18. kiko

kiko Active Member

We are MEN right? Why are we so worried.... :)

Paul G. likes this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I don't know about you, but my hand gets tired and she cooks better than I do.

Voxman and Paul G. like this.
  20. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Start "flipping" I move so many in and out she lost track years ago--- doesnt even pay attention anymore--- 1 in 2 out 3 in 1 out --- she could care less......then I also have a rotation system between the cases--- the closet and whATS ON THE WALLS .....hard to hit a moving target .......and I have started buying only brown --or brown burst----- Camo in numbers...... ;)
    grabber1.jpg

syscokid, Paul G. and Raiyn like this.