Will EMG pickups fit in an SG?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Kabrijj, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Has anyone here put EMGs into an SG?

I'm very tempted to do so, but I'm having a hard time imagining the battery will fit into that small cavity of an SG.

Google has not been a huge help... except a few images of the back of guitars, which show a battery box, I cannot seem to find any gut shots of an SG cavity with the battery. Some people say it can be done, others claim not without routing.

So: has anyone here done it? The pots EMG uses are smaller in size than Gibson's, but still... that's a darn small cavity to fit everything into!

I'd prefer not to have to do any routing if at all possible. In fact, if routing is required I'll probably just stick with passives :shock:

2. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Definitely seen them in there, usually in Epis.

You might need to rout for a battery box unless you have an older model with a bigger cavity, like this one:

Personally I don't see the appeal of EMGs, and have always preferred high-output passives like BKPs. No routing required with those. Miracle Man and Warpig models both work in SGs. The other passives I would consider are Di Marzio Super Distortions or Seymour Duncan Black Winters.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. Kabrijj

Found this pic:
    odrghzjjnrhsqt22ia8e.jpg

...but it's a custom made guitar, not a Gibson.

As far as EMGs appeal, to me:
    1) I've already got 'em (that's a BIG factor).
    2) Bareknuckles look awesome, and are highly recommended, but expensive as hell (see #1 above)
    3) I've already got an SG with passive pickups (gotta diversify, right? :naughty:)
    4) Devin:

5) There's a few others, but I'm gonna go watch some move Devin videos now... (and yeah, I know he's got new Fishman signature pups coming out, but you get my drift...)

4. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

EMGs are very bright. If I had some laying around I would try them in my Explorer, but that would definitely need routing unless I could squeeze the battery under the pickguard somehow

Gibsg likes this.
  5. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the battery (or batteries for 18V) can be remote from the guitar. I've never used actives but I think the go is that a stereo jack is fitted to the guitar & a stereo lead is used from the guitar to whatever the power source is housed in. So one conductor carries the output signal while the other conductor carries the + power. The shield is obviously ground & - (power). The signal out from whatever houses your power source is normal mono. Obviously the guitar would need to be correctly wired. I'm sure EMG would have info on their site about. Hope this helps. Cheers

6. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

Gibson made SG with active EMGs. On the Gibson SG Showcase the battery is Under the pickguard

Image temp 1892.jpg

lcw likes this.
  7. Kabrijj

Well, I can hereby state in no uncertain terms that yes, you can fit a 9 volt battery in the SG cavity.

27888984726_984ff60755_z.jpg

I opted to go old school and solder this rig up myself, as I'm pretty sure the quick connects and busses will add a lot more mass inside that there's just no room for. You gotta use small pots, for sure. It fits, just barely. The width of the battery is just a hair smaller than the depth of the cavity, but the back plate goes on without bulging outward.

As far as side-to-side room goes, there's a good bit of it. I even had room to stuff some foam between the battery and the pots (which keeps it from bouncing around, and keeps it from touching any lugs and possibly bridging a ground/circuit).

At first I was going to try laying the battery horizontally on top of the pots, which might work... but between the pots vertically seemed like a better solution, ultimately.

lcw and Dave_Death like this.