Will Grover 102 Rotomatics drop into an SG standard? Replacing Grover Vintage Deluxes..

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by multiplexer, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. flognoth

flognoth Member

I don't recall saying anyone here "irritates" me. Those are assumptions you've made.

Like a lot of other people I call it like I see it. Seems like what I've said hit a bit close to home ? The point I was making, in case it was somehow lost, is there is offering an opinion, even a strong one, and then stating opinion as fact. There is a very big difference between the two.

If you want to know what someone thinks -ask them.

2. JMon

JMon Member

The Grover 102 Rotomatics do drop in nicely without having to ream the holes. Using a toothpick and glue to fill the holes works like a charm, you can cut them flush after they've dried with a fresh razor blade. On a black SG, a little dab of paint or some black magic marker makes them disappear. The screws provided with the Grovers are wood screws, there is no need to drill a pilot hole unless you have a very shaky hand. First, position the Grover level, tighten the nut on the front, check level and then, using the right size Phillips screwdriver, firmly turn the screw slowly and it will tap in without the need for a drill.

On the neck dive thing, I have a 2017 Firebird with no neck dive issues whatsoever. I have Grover 102s on my SG and it has a very slight dive with a 2" nylon strap on a t-shirt. My right arm almost always rests on the body so, it never really moves unless i let go completely and move around a lot. My 2.5" leather strap solves that problem. Like someone else said, I prefer the functionality of the Grovers, plus they look better to me than tulips or beans.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to pilot holes for wood screws.
    Driving a wood screw into wood without a pilot hole is going to create a wedge and possibly split the wood.

If you don't have a drill, a pin vise with small bits is not expensive.
    It's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    syscokid likes this.
  4. JMon

JMon Member

This is a true statement and you have a very good point, I've just never had a bad experience with very small screws like the ones Grover provides. Considering I always pilot hole larger wood screws, I should probably do the same with the smaller ones. Like you say, better safe than sorry.

syscokid and cerebral gasket like this.
  5. flognoth

flognoth Member

I agree, with using pilot holes. My preference is not to split or otherwise damage the headstock. They can be delicate.

6. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

As you've noticed, Grovers will drop right in without reaming in every Gibson with hex style bushings (the big ones). In my experience, the screw hole lines up too.

Grover now makes a more historically correct looking Rotomatic that, besides looking better (IMO) is a bit lighter than standard Rotos. Might be a good call for those who like Grovers in their SG. They call it "milkbottle", or something like that. I've got 'em in an ES335 and they're great.

[​IMG]

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I have replaced the tuners on my SG Standard with Kluson Revolution locking tuners. I highly recommend them. No drilling. Holes line right up. Lighter than Grovers and look a lot like the original tuners.