Wolftone ?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by DrBGood, Nov 25, 2018.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Around 2016, they came out with this ingenious prototype to fit a P90 bobbin into a humbcker route, without having to get the chisel out. Any idea if they ever put it on the market ?

I'm tempted to make some out of wood or gluing plastic parts together.

P90HB2.jpg

cerebral gasket likes this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

A P-90 will not fit into a humbucker route without removing wood because a P-90 is longer than a humbucker. But the idea of the rings is great once you get the cavity sorted out to fit P-90's when there is no large guard to hide the modifications.

You could always measure the dimensions required, create a vector file (.AI or .EPS) and find a sign shop or other facility that has a laser engraver/cutter to fabricate ones for you out of wood or plastic.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Post more pictures !

4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

There's is no mentioning of the project on their website anymore. I also thought that it was an interesting and useful idea. Wonder what happened? I guess you can always contact Wolfe Macleod and ask.

Funny you should mention Wolfetone Pickups. I've been contemplating trying a set of their P90s and compare them to the Gibson P90s in one of my SGs. Wolfetone is offering their first Black Friday sale: 20% OFF!

5. cerebral gasket

I remember you mentioning the Kinman zero-hum P-90's in the past. I installed one at the bridge position on one of my SG Classics and could not be any happier. I recently acquired a second SG Classic, but plan to keep the stock P-90's in it so that I always have a reference for what a stock P-90 sounds like.

6. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I have 2 guitars loaded with Kinmans. The Kinman P90s are my favorite pickups, period. That includes hummers and Strat-style single coils, too. Another one of my guitars is loaded with Seymour Duncan P90s: "Vintage"/Neck and "Custom"/Bridge, which I like a lot too. I have a humbucker equipped guitar with a set of Wolfetone pickups, and have always been very impressed with those. All this has led my curiosity with Wolfetone P90s. The SG with the stock Gibson P90s sounds really good. But.... What if? Hmmmmm… :hmm:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

I also installed a Kinman Woodstock set in my Strat, but I agree the P-90 sounds the best to my ears over all other types of pickups.

syscokid likes this.