Woodgrain and the myth of the Gibson Standard 2013

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Vall, May 6, 2019.

1. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

2013 with cool upgrades ...

[​IMG]

2. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

This grain is amazing!! Maybe most beautiful Sg grain I've ever seen.

Wow! Nice SG!! I am also interested in Bigsby tremolos. But I hear some negative urban legends about the stability of Bigsby tremolos. For now, I think to stick with classical tailpiece and stop bar.

koaguilds likes this.
  3. ToyTitan2k16

ToyTitan2k16 New Member

My 2013 Sg standard (built in late 2012) is the most resonate guitar I have. It is absolutely the loudest guitar I have unplugged. Mine has a 3 piece body.

koaguilds and arcticsg like this.
  4. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

Mine's really resonant as well. I don't think there are any one piece bodies although they can appear to be just that because they really matched the wood up nicely. I've had mine for almost 7 years and I'm still not sure where the seam is. I thought they were all 2 piece, but apparently that's not the case.

ToyTitan2k16 likes this.
  5. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Gibson has always produced SG's with one piece bodies all the way from the custom shop down to faded specials. It just depends on what timber stock is on hand that given day. The guys in Nashville told me that on a visit. The way to tell how many pieces the body has is by looking at the bottom side of the body under a bright light. But as stated here many,many times....it doesn't matter if it's a one piece or 5...it has no effect on tone or quality.

6. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member

I think my Faded is 3 pieces and I love that inanimate object more than is healthy, I'm sure.

Col Mustard likes this.
  7. JESUSG

JESUSG Member

A Bigsby is fine if you know how to use it. If you want to dive bomb then a Bigsby is not for you.

HackeIommi likes this.
  8. ToyTitan2k16

ToyTitan2k16 New Member

My Gary Clark SG is two piece. I think they do it like they do Les Pauls. If the top is to be painted, they may use multiple pieces. I have seen cherry SG’s with one and two piece bodies mostly.

Sootio likes this.