Work/Band balance

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Dadou, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

Hi all,

How do (or did) you manage to play in a band while working?

I live in the centre of Paris and would like to put together/join a band. My job involves long working hours and a lot of travelling. Factor in the struggle of commuting around Europe's second largest city and I'm left with very little spare time available. This is particularly true when I am on projects which require me to travel across France/Europe for up to 5 days a week.

I was in a non-gigging band a few years ago while in college but things were obviously much easier: access to a lot of people our age, to a free university rehearsal room and lots of time on our hands to play and practice.

Now, finding people to play with in Paris, particularly in the social media age we live in, is not a big deal. Nor is finding a rehearsal room.
    It's mostly dealing with each member's availabilities and finding the time required to travel between home, the office, the rehearsal room etc. which I find hard to do.

How do you tackle this?

Layne Matz and ventura like this.
  2. ventura

ventura Member

What I did when I was in a similar situation-

Go play solo acoustic at open mics. You’ll meet people who are out ‘doing it’ (as opposed to people who are texting back and forth forever talking about it, but not actually doing it). Start a band with the real ‘do-ers’. You don’t have time to mess around with dreamers.

Layne Matz and DrBGood like this.