Worth new caps?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by beefyburt, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

"Fc = 1 / (2 * pi * R * C)"

Science: It doesn't suck

plankton and cerebral gasket like this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

√(-1) 2^3 ∑π

3. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

mmm pie
    Me gusta pie

Raiyn likes this.
  4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

5. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I'm going to repeat a bit of what others have said, and offer a couple of additional thoughts.

There are some sensible complaints about them.

Ceramic caps (those small orange circular caps) have been around for a very long time. They are relatively easy to make. But, the generic type of cap we encounter in our guitars generally cannot be made to as precise a tolerance as more modern caps. That is one reason they have been replaced to a large degree by more precise poly caps or something else. However, in our guitar circuits precision is less important (it's not like the guitar is gonna blow up!) and more depends on your taste. There are other varieties of ceramic caps that can be made more precise, but the cost isn't justified by the application.

Also, over a period of years the run-of-the-mill ceramic disc can absorb moisture from the atmosphere which could change its operational characteristics. Again, we're not talking precision electronics here...it's a guitar tone circuit!

Having said that, I still have the original ceramic disc capacitors in my 1974 SG (that means they're 43 years old) and they're fine. I have no intention of replacing them. Also, when I rewired my Jackson Dinky last year, I specifically selected a ceramic disc capacitor just to be rebellious against the Magic Tone Beans crowd (I love that saying...big credit to @Raiyn !)

So, to get to your question...would you notice a difference if you changed them? Maybe, but that would be due to them being a different value due to manufacturing tolerances.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    beefyburt and syscokid like this.
  6. syscokid

I've heard of this, too. Maybe we should wax-pot our ceramic caps... :D

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

:D. Whatever floats yer boat there Smitty!:cheers:. Stay away from Magic Tone Beans, and whatever you do, don't eat that yellow snow.

I find the axial poly ones easier to work with and theoretically, the tighter the tolerance the better the quality.
    I had a horrifying thought.

New from Stewed Macaroni!
    Classique Era Vintage Series Ultra Mojochord Nitro Glazed Earthenware Hypertone Capacitors!
    $29.99

8. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

They use ceramic caps in these guitars because they are the absolute cheepest option, but I personally dont care about paying the difference (which should be less then 10 cents for caps in this range).

Ceramic caps do cause noise, and it can be a real problem if they are used in things like microphones or high fidelity studio gear. But one cap, in a circuit with a signal as strong as a guitar pickup puts out, it really isnt going to be notable.

As to the idea they can drift in value under the right corcumstance(which was confermend to me by a professor of electronics) Its important to remember that leo fender designed his circuitry with a +/-20% tolerence on all listed values. In fact the parts tolerences he spec'd in the 50s are worse then the lowest quality parts that you can buy through mouser or other electronics wholesalers now.

9. syscokid

I'm sold... Put me down for 15 of them, please... :squint:

beefyburt likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Hang on, lemme email Donny Laterbeer. I'll getcha a 20% discount, which oughta just cover s&h.