WOW......disapointed 2014 and 2015 SGJ AND SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Nitrox, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Nitrox

Nitrox Active Member

well I just checked out our new local music store and they sell Gibsons and fenders and I found the 2014 sgj 120 anniversary flat sunburst on the wall and the thing looked nice from a far but far from good the body was good "ish" looked clean and well built but that neck was total sh!t balls waves and dips in the fret work razor sharp fret ends and and NOT from shrinkage and a piss poor neck glue in with a bad paint seam just a crap load of cheep and lazy........so I saw the 2015 sg with the brass and robos and it was of an equal amount of LAME and I do not dig the wide neck, 750.00 got the 2014 and 1000.00 for the 2015

for sh!ts and giggles I picked up a 250.00 epiphone SG bolt on neck and it kicked the crap out of the two Gibsons PERFECT necks an fret work, im really disappointed by this fact.....SAD

Sp8ctre likes this.
  2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I try not to judge too harshly based on store floor models that have never been really set up. Rough fret ends are certainly an issue though.

Westernrider, 58pit and smitty_p like this.
  3. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. It was the opposite for me. I have an SGJ and it is one of my favourite guitars. Doesn't sound like you played it, The pups on the 2014 I have are awesome. As far as the neck goes, its slim, lets you play fast and has a minimal amount of crap on it..very smooth. I would recommend you go to another guitar store and give it another go and play them this time before you rush to judgement

58pit and DoodoaXD like this.
  4. DoodoaXD

DoodoaXD Well-Known Member

What both of the users above me said, you probably tried a bad model. I own a 2014 SGJ and I'm starting to like it more than my Special a tiny bit. But we cant escape the fact that the sharp frets are an issue I have seen on many SGJ complaints here...

Try out a good properly set up one, believe me you'll change your mind.

58pit likes this.
  5. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Many of the lower end 2014 Gibbys did suffer from sharp fret ends. If that's the only thing bothering you, it is a cheap and easy fix to have a tech round them. I agree it shouldn't be that way but what can you do? If you're ambitious and good with your hands get one of these:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...ping_and_crowning/Fret_End_Dressing_File.html

some masking tape and clean them up yourself, I do. Two or three strokes with the file and you're slick as snot.

Every Gibson SGJ, LPJ, LP Special, LPMM, SG Special I have played had very good, level and well crowned frets (plek?) and properly cut nut, so they could be made to play fantastically well. Frets aren't polished but they're smooth enough.

If I had some money I'd be buying up all the 2013 and 2014 leftovers I could, pick out the best for myself, then flip the rest in a year or two when you guys will be clamoring for them!!!

P.

Westernrider, 58pit and Biddlin like this.
  6. Nitrox

Nitrox Active Member

This is Gibson and there should be NO bad models....... 2 guitars from 2 different years!!! come on really, these were worse than 100 dolor walmat guitars, With a brand like Gibson one should not have to depart on an african safari to find an SG that's built to playable standards..... I should also NOT have to do any setup work pifft never mind setup this is production work and would be finishing some one else's job and the 2014 was so bad I think it needs a total refret!!! is that not one of the reasons I pay so much for a Gibson in the first place.....Craftsmanship? hand made? Only a Gibson is good enough and all that Jazz, no you see I wont make excuses for a company based on brand Value, this is just not cool

7. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

"Every Gibson SGJ, LPJ, LP Special, LPMM, SG Special I have played had very good, level and well crowned frets (plek?) "

That's been my experience, too. The fret work is great in terms of level and crown. But yes, the ends have not been smoothed enough on a couple of them. Actually the SGJ is better in that respect than my LP Classic. I wouldn't call any of them "razor sharp" as the OP experienced but "noticeable" and "uncomfortable" for sure.

That being said, the SGJ is the best playing guitar overall.

58pit likes this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

First off, I've seen some badly abused guitars on shop walls, but I ain't never seen a First Act I'd trade my sh*ttiest Epiphone for. I will pay your airfare to any destination on this planet if you can produce two First Act guitars that are better than two USA Gibsons. I have been around awhile, played untold numbers of guitars for half of a century and don't believe you. Second, if you have ever manufactured anything in numbers higher than dozens, you know that there is no way to make every one "perfect." However, I have never unpacked a factory sealed Gibson box with a lemon inside. The five new Gibsons I've purchased since 2013 have arrived setup and ready to play. I noticed some fret ends on my LPJ, but they wore down from playing, before I got around to filing them, so they must not have been that bad.
    I notice you say you "played" the Epi, but no mention of talking to the shop owner about the condition or setup or overpricing of the Gibsons and you don't seem to have bought the $250 Epi, either, so is it fair to assume you just went in the shop to bitch about guitars you can't afford and to ding up their Epiphone? I am weary of guitar reviews that sound like my snooty English cousins, who videotape all the low points of their vacations to show relatives what rotten times they've had in Hawaii and Jamaica.
    Here's where I call, "Pics, or it didn't happen."

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  9. Nitrox

Nitrox Active Member

so your what assuming I don't know anything about guitars.....or set up or value, I know good from bad and these Gibsons were bad[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And ya man I went there to flat out buy and I would have left with the SGJ but it was F'ed up in a bad way and pointed it out issue by issue and it mattered not to the owner at all

58pit and Biddlin like this.
  10. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Also remember, depending on where you live and the temperature control in the multiple storage facilities, trucks and showrooms the guitars have been in, fret sprout can vary wildly. It isn't always due to the frets not being properly dressed at the factory.

11. Nitrox

Nitrox Active Member

No this was just terrible workmanship......flat out, believe it or not I do know some of these things as im not new to this world of guitar....I find it funny that people just assume I don't know what im talking about and that clearly im confused as Gibson would never have these issues with QC

12. Biddlin

Ah, the whole story. OK, well your experience is your experience.
    I recommend finding another dealer and playing a proper SGJ, because thousands of others have found them golden.
    Now where is the HD video of those remarkable First Acts?
    ;>)/

13. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    Off-topic, but does that high E have enough room?
    ;>)/
    edit: I see now that there is an extra string on that one, causing the overcrowding.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  14. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I agree with both Nitrox and everyone else that posted. I live in a small town. About once a month I hit the city and go to several music stores to browse and try out guitars. I sometimes even buy one. Over the past year I have noticed the Gibsons on display in most stores almost always have setup problems. This is not limited to lower end Gibsons. I have seen this with Fenders and other brands but to nowhere near the same extent. Strangely enough the Epiphones and Squiers don't seem to suffer from this as much. Maybe the Chinese factories have better quality control even though they may be using slightly inferior components. It amazes me that the stores don't at least do a minimal setup on the display models. I do agree with everyone else though that once I've made a decision and bought a guitar it is easy enough to remedy the problem. Once a minimal setup is done they are mostly decent guitars. They are well made, just need a bit of tweaking. Gibson (and others) could do themselves a big favour with a little better quality control and last check before a guitar leaves the factory.

58pit likes this.
  15. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

sharp fret ends, yep, you get them.. when i shopped for my faded over 10 years ago, i had to rifle through to find one, the one i bought, that didnt have them..it that one store..other stores later on, i found all of them were good...theres bad apples in every bunch it seems..

16. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

the only thing i can complain about my 2013 model, is that the fret wire is a joke. One and a half year later, and the frets are worn as if i'm playing her 5 years..grooves start to shape on the lower frets..the guitar is being played a lot,but too much wear and too quick. and my grip is not the <<grip of death>> ;)

can't tell you something about fret ends,she has nibs

other than that, when i took her to my arms for the first time quality was there, and the guitar was set-up and ready to scream (though, after 6 months of usage she needed a set up, but don't all new guitars do after constan use?)

58pit likes this.
  17. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

Guitar stores used to set up their stock before they went out on the floor, now you're lucky if anyone in the store knows what you're talking about.

dampsneaker, Biddlin and JohnnyGoo like this.
  18. Biddlin

I don't know any production line staff working for Henry, atm, but I know if I was the one filling out the checklist/packing list card, I'd be pretty thorough, right up to the point that some Opie lookin' bazillionaire
    [​IMG]
    told me I had to work through my scheduled vacation and no Christmas bonus this year.
    I saw a video of the final inspection at Epiphone, Shenzen, CN. The girl doing the evaluation did exactly what I do when I take one out of the box: played every note on every string, making small adjustments as needed, until acceptable and then filled out the evaluation card. That is the reason the Epi's and Squiers from China are so uniformly "perfect" if seeming to lack "personality."
    Overall, from my clients' and my own experiences, Gibsons' quality has come up markedly from the Norlin years, with most complaints coming from Custom Shop-VOS owners.
    Fender seems to have about the same owner responses.
    At some point, we get into a class of guitars, bought for kvetching rights, much like my old Jaguar XJ12.
    jgv12.jpg
    After joining an owner's club, I discovered that I was the only one driving the bejeezous out of my car. Apparently everyone else spent their lease hounding the shop mechanics about "noises" and paint drips and badly sealing boot lids and the faux wood dash getting shiny. they were horrified to learn that I had driven mine to Montana and "opened her up" on a long stretch of hwy 80. "My God, man, what were you thinking? These aren't racing cars, you know?" Well, that's a lot of cheddar for a slow rolling sculpture.
    Having actually lived in the "Golden Age of Gibson," the fact is that overall quality of Gibson (or any other brand) guitars has never been better. Much as you technophobes hate it, lasers, CNC machines and modern materials have made high quality guitars available to the masses. Do I love an old ES-225? You bet. Is my 2013 N-225 a better instrument, by any objective measure? Yup, really did slip my high E off the fretboard of the old ES-225, ran out of frets before I did ideas and learned to use feedback for atmospheric verisimilitude. Frets were less than optimal, stuff inside the body was always buzzing.
    I know I'm just an old fogey and don't know sh*t, and I'm not tryin' to bust anybody's bongos, but I know hyperbole when I smell it. Now where are those Walmart guitars?
    ;>)/

19. gball

gball Well-Known Member

In total agreement with Biddlin. I have been very impressed with Gibson's QC on the 2014-2015 guitars in particular (I found some issues with some 2013 SG's, but most other '13 models were perfect).

My personal experience is that current Gibbys are the best quality they have made since before the Norlin days (and I have owned guitars from every era from the 50's on), and are coming from the factory set up perfectly. I honestly believe any perceived issues are the result of the shops not caring enough to maintain their stock. I see guys dicking with the bridge height in particular all the time in shops.

I have not played a single Gibson in the last 10 years that had what I would consider to have sharp fret ends, and I concede that they were pretty notorious for this issue for a long while there. Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe my fingers are especially leathery, but I don't think so. I do somewhat agree with the paint seam at the fingerboard, but this seam wears flat very quickly and ultimately is not an issue for me.

Paul G. likes this.
  20. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I used to have a lot of work doing just that, setting up instruments for the retail stores.

I was amazed at how many instruments of ALL price categories needed further shop adjustment before I considered them playable. Of course many makers did a fine job, but it was a bit surprising to see how many even mid and upper price point items needed set ups. I'd have never let them past me if I was running QC at those factories.

PermissionToLand and Biddlin like this.