Wrap round bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by peter taft, Nov 12, 2012.

1. peter taft

peter taft Member

I have listened to the advice given here, and now i am seeking some further advice. OK, i am not going to be doing anything to change the CMI for obvious reasons now, BUT, the wrap round bridge is so badly scared it is more likely to damage any new strings that i will put on. If i were to take measurements of all the string slot guides and grind/file them out, then redo them, would this devalue the guitar in any way ? or perhaps replace the wrap round bridge with one similar :dunno: How would you guys tackle this one. All suggestions greatly accepted. Thanks in advance. Pete. See link for pictures.

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/welcome-wagon/19234-hello.html#post248826

2. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I don't know if it would devalue the guitar, per se, but it may be a good selling point later on to be able to provide the unmolested bridge when/if you decide to sell it.

Personally, I would get another bridge and modify it.

peter taft likes this.
  3. peter taft

peter taft Member

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

As a working tech, I recommend replacing the bridge with a new Badass, for which I'm gonna charge you $100 and another $50 for labour to set up . If it were my guitar, I'd buy the 5 cent screw and use the oem . It looks worn, but the saddle surface appears serviceable . If it ain't tearin' up your strings now, and after all these years I'm guessing it's worn pretty smooth, then why mess with it ? The beauty of these, and I say that because I've got a Rick 12 string to intonate later today, is that to adjust intonation, you set the low E and the high E and you're done . I know several west coast blues players using that same type bridge, in even worse cosmetic condition on their vintage LP juniors and Melody Makers . Biddlin ;>)/
    PS "... i have been looking at some wrap over bridge combo's on ebay, found a few with the individual saddles {they include the posts too} around the £10 mark,..."
    Ya get what ya pay for. If you're dead set on replacing it, why buy crap ? A good used Leo Quan Badass is gonna cost around £70 in Old Blighty, I'd reckon .

peter taft likes this.
  5. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Peter, if this is of any use to you, you can have it,

[​IMG]

6. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Wraparounds are very solid for the most part. As Biddlin stated, it appears smooth in the pic I saw. If you do have concerns about it being defective, by all means get a replacement and keep the original if you ever intend to resell. Much like anything else, this type of part exchange depends on proper measurement of the post spacing and such. Measure carefully the center to center of the posts and buy a quality bridge rather than an inexpensive one. The low cost items are often of low quality alloy and will not fuction well for long. Again, measure, and measure again!

EDIT: There ya go! sgtbeefheart's got your back. Thanks sarge! Nice Lightening Bar you have there. You two should get togethier on this and see it they're the same spacing. If so, problem solved!

Wade

peter taft and Biddlin like this.
  7. peter taft

peter taft Member

Firstly... let me thank you all for the great input regarding this topic - You guys rock :dude: and to say a HUGE THANK YOU for your very kind offer Sarge, to which i will say yes pllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllease :) The measurements i have here are: 81.7mm c to c on posts - overall width of bridge = 100.5mm. The real issue with the original bridge is that it is very badly worn, and has become sharp in some areas. I was gifted this guitar - i saved it from being thrown into a skip {yeah i know... some people :laugh2: } I will gladly pay the postage. I will pm you with my address. So what did i expect from a site devoted to our savior "The SG" - put it this way, exactly this, good guys - big hearts and great personalities... i wasn't disappointed ! :applause:

8. Biddlin

:thumbs:Bravo , Sarge !:thumbs:

9. sgtbeefheart

My pleasure.

I just hope it's not as worn as the one that's on there.

peter taft likes this.
  10. peter taft

peter taft Member

It looks in excellent condition, i will take another picture of the original REALLY close up :ohno: Thanks again :dude:

11. Tobacco Worm

See, here on this forum we take care of our own. I know of a few other forums that most would gladly sell you an item you need, and they'd not even bat an eye thinking of going at or near retail to boot!

Our sgtbeefheart is a true gentleman of the old school. And a splendid example of our forum!:applause: We got good folks here I must say...

Yes, a good bunch....

Wade

Col Mustard and peter taft like this.
  12. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Active Member

I'd recommend that you try setting the high E (1st string) and the D (4th string) so that they both intonate correctly. No matter how you set up this bridge it will be a compromise, but in my experience doing it this way gets the overall compensation closer to being correct. :)

peter taft likes this.
  13. Biddlin

I use your method with heavier gauge string sets and on some post 1985 wraparounds . I find mine works best with Ernie Ball Super Slinkys and lighter gauges . Biddlin ;>)/

14. Tobacco Worm

Try setting up one made in the early 60's when they were designed for a wound G! That fun with modern strings huh?:naughty:

Wade

15. peter taft

peter taft Member

I use these also - the 8's are my usual gauge, get a great sound from these and they're kinder on my fingers too :thumb:

Biddlin likes this.
  16. peter taft

peter taft Member

Hi Guys. Well the bridge arrived this morning "THANKS JOHN" :wow: I have put some pictures to show the difference in 1... Condition 2... Quality. My rubbish camera really doesn't work too well, but you will get the idea. I also cleaned up the bridge pu, the black coating was wrecked anyways, so i cleared that off and got to the metal, i have clear coated it so it wont tarnish.

Attached Files:

17. peter taft

peter taft Member

OK.. The guitar is back together adorning its new bridge/tail combo and no problems thus far ! I gave her a bit of a clean and some eb 08s. Playing through a Marshall combo she has lots of power with good control. I started to think she sounded like my long gone SG {had to sell her to get the Gas and Electric topped up :( } not too sure if this was "Wishful Listening" but i must say she sounds pretty nice. Great sustain and a warm sound from the NPU - awesome power and easy squeals from the BPU. Beggars cant be choosers, and i intend restoring her when i have had some fun with her. Thanks again to John for his generosity for which i will always be grateful, also thanks to the guys who showed interest and gave advice here. One day the SG will be back - but for now i will live with what i've got - Keep on Rockin' :dude:

Attached Files:

Col Mustard likes this.
  18. Tobacco Worm

I just love happy endings!

Well done on both ends I think!

Wade

peter taft and Biddlin like this.
  19. sgtbeefheart

Dontcha love it when a plan comes together?

Col Mustard and peter taft like this.
  20. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Great stuff! Nice one, Sarge :applause:

Congratulations Peter!

peter taft likes this.