Wrapping strings around tailpiece??

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Pepol, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Pepol

Pepol Member

Hey all,
    Just wondering: What exactly does wrapping the strings around the stopbar-tailpiece do?
    I've seen this done many times, just wondering what are the pros/cons of doing this, and why do it at all?

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Mostly screws up the finish. Some people think the stop bar has to be low to get good done (FALSE!) So they lower the bar, and then wrap to keep a better string angle.

3. lagger

lagger Member

allows a less severe break angle between the bridge and the stop making the strings play "slinkier" in bends and down pressure required.. putatively increases sustain by allowing the stopbar to be lowered right down to the wood

4. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

"allows a less severe break angle between the bridge and the stop " You can also just raise the stop tail piece and it would do the same thing no?

..Lou

5. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

other than the mass of the metal touching the body instead of just the threads i think lou...

6. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

does it really make a noticable differance? seems to me the differances would probably be quite subtle but i have never tried it.

7. ess

ess Guest

what lags said.

makes for easier bending.i top wrap my LP copy, extremely noticable with that.

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Well... there's about 110 lbs or so (maybe more) pulling on that stop bar. Considering the size of the studs the lbs per in*2 is gonna be pretty high. Any difference would mean that the studs/bridge are resonating seperately from the wood at that point... and I really dont see that.

9. dcooper

dcooper Member

I've had to replace bushings and even seen a bent stud on guitars wraping over that we not meant to. I tried it on a 84 LP Custom and you can see the stop bar has pivoted up in back. it doesn't sit flush anymore. if anyone would like a picture of that let me know and I'll post one. It dose seem easier to play?

10. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Post that pic!~

11. dcooper

dcooper Member

Charlie heres two pictures I took they are hard to see . I don't have anything here at home to make them better. I also included a sketch of the condition I'm seeing. I put a .026" feller gage between the bottom of the tailpiece and the lower boss of the stud. hard to see. sorry. the feeler gage is sitting just abovr the guitar body, looks like a string

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Are those pictures blurry or do i need a stronger Rx for my glasses? :lol:

Sorry Coop,,couldn't resist ! :lol:

...Lou

13. dcooper

dcooper Member

No Batman the pics are rotten I can't fix em I have no software here at home to do it. The sketch shows what is happening. I had replace a bent stud on a guitar with real heavy strings. And have to remount a couple bushings that I think were caused from a condition like this. I tried it on this guitar last month as we have had a big discussion on the les paul forum about the pros and cons of over wrapping strings. I'm putting mine back as it was next string change.

14. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Coop... I dont see a problem. Not from your pics, but from the drawing.

There is quite a bit of slop in the way the tail fits the studs. Slop one way... from one sort of stringing, slop the other way with over the top.

My point is... either way... the whole thing is tight when string pressure is on it.

15. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

it WOULD be cool to have a good pic of that particular problem tho coop, cuz it's bound to come up again, back up a bit and see if it'll come into into fucus? maybe the forground is throwing off your auto-focus?

16. tpa

tpa Active Member

Anybody having a owners manual for these guitars ? Normally I take both screws holding the stop bar right down to the bottom, thread the strings from below through the stop bar and that's it. I believe that this will give a good angle over the saddles providing a firm support force between the bridge and body but not so sharp that the strings tend to break. I do what I believe is best for sustain and tuning stability (and looks cleaner).

17. dcooper

dcooper Member

I'll try again tomorrow. Charlie I agree but normal way it's trying to rotate
    the bushing to the back, over the top it's trying to rotate to the front. I think the bushing can loosen ans start to move in the hole. I wish 59 burst were here he gave a good post on this a month or two ago on another forum. All I know for sure is when I string normal the tail piece doesn't seem to tilt, it seems to move up the stud and stay horizontal. I'll try to get some better pics somehow soon. by the way I tried it with a Nashville bridge because I have to have it up higher to clear the strings at the back of the bridge. this topic is going on at 3 or 4 different forums. PS the pressure on the stud going thru up and over may be pulling straight up vertical. we need a fea done on a model and see where the forces really are. I may be able to do this at work time permitting. any other cad designers with this ability could be of help. sorry so long

18. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I agree with Charlie. The string tension (100 lbs.+) is gonna insure solid contact whether the stopbar is all the way down or not. I string the "normal" way and leave about 1/4 - 3/8" between the stopbar and the top of the guitar, and all my guitars sustain just fine.

19. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

I'll add , that I just do the setup, and adjust the stop last, so there's about 1/16 inch space clearing the back of the bridge on the low and high E's