Yamaha SGs. Has anyone been experienced with one?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by sazista, Jan 18, 2017.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I owned a yamaha SG700 from about '79 until the late '80s. They were beautifully made, in fact I believe they were discontinued because the cost of production in Japan became so high they were uncompetitive on price; although they are available again with three versions of the SG1820 in production - but hard to track down & about twice the price of a Gibson SG Standard. I believe Santana was very closely involved with the Yamaha SG's development, and much was made of his endorsement during the early 80s.

I'd say you get what you see: A perfect blend of LP & SG, heavy, but with great access to higher frets. Over the years they did make a lot of variations in terms of materials, pickups, body thickness, bindings, etc., so I'd recommend doing some research & not rushing to buy the first one you see.

Ultimately, I sold mine as I'd decided the neck was too thick for my tastes at the time & by then I had several other guitars that I was playing a lot more. Now, I'd be quite happy to have it back! I did see a gold top P90 SG1820 on sale as an ex-demo item about a year ago - I hesitated & it was gone. :( I wish they had chosen to develop a 'budget' version of the SG rather than the Revstar, which seems like an update on their SF 'Super Flighter' with Reverend inspired styling.

3. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Unbelievably wonderful guitars, but way too heavy for me. Big neck, full fretboard access, beautifully made, solid and gorgeously finished.

Good tone, great sustain.

For me, it's the weight that did me in. As heavy as a 70s Les Paul. Maybe heavier. Like slinging an armoire around your neck.

P.

4. sazista

sazista Active Member

wow. thanks for the input.