Yamaha THR10 - reviews and suggestions.

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Bettyboo, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

So, I just got this amp (actually, I wanted the 10C but it's not in stock until May and I couldn't wait).

prs12.JPG

prs14.JPG

My setup, working abroad in a small apartment, is one guitar, one bass and (soon to be) one amp to do everything - thus, the Yamaha seemed like the best option.

Other posters are interested in this amp too, some posters have owned it for a good while, thus how about we just offer feedback and chat about it?

It's new to me, so any suggestions from owners will be gratefully received. I'not adding any comments on the amp sound/quality as yet because I've had it less than 24 hours.

dexspeed, syscokid and guidothepimmp like this.
  2. Bettyboo

In this video, it says the amps are:

Fender Twin.
    AC30.
    Marshall Plexi.
    Marshall DCM800.
    Messa Boogie.

I really like all of these; Change the Fender Twin for a Princeton and that would be close to my perfect amp selection. Also, we have a flat input, bass input and acoustic input. I hope the bass input is good then I'll sell my baby Laney bass amp (which I rate as great value for money, and I doubt the Yamaha will sound as good - we will see).

I played around a bit with the delays and reverbs and the chorus, all of which sounded decent (better than some pedals I've owned) - and that's a really nice feature: all the effects work well with every amp simulation; this is not the case when matching amps with pedals - that is a big positive, imho. Put together, $300 isn't a lot of money.

First impression: far better sounding than the Fender 20w Mustang in every area (excluding the Bassman and Princeton which I really liked on the Mustang).

3. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

Excellent, i have the sme model. Great little amps. so versatile.

Also very handy when i want to jam and my 3 yr old wants to sleep!

20170107_141851_zpsbupj2gcv_edit_1485674518175.jpg

syscokid and Bettyboo like this.
  4. Bettyboo

How do you set the amp? What sounds do you find in it? Any secrets to spare?

5. guidothepimmp

Well theres a tough question. I dont really chase tones. I spend most of my time on Brit Hi,

Dial in a sound somewhere between acdc and airbourne which fits nicely for when i jam along to my tunes on the tablet. Gain is normally around 11oclock, master i crank to about 3oclock, bass 10 oclock, mids to noon, treble around 1 oclock. No effects, and tiny bit of spring reverb. Guitar volume around noon,

There are infinite tweaking options via the software and with the amp hooked up to the pc, but to be honest, thats all too fiddly for me.

For a bluesy vibe, i hit the crunch with gain at around 2oclock, master to 3 oclock, bass up to around 1oclock, mids and treb as above, i add a wee bit of chorus, and mess about from there.

1 helluva handy trick, you might find your amp sounds hissy on the brit hi and the other gain channel, a right annoying hiss, if it does that, there is a 5 minute fix that needs you to open th old amp up, and secure a wire that runs over the pcb with a cable tie.

If you need this, lemme know, il dig out the link for it.

Good luck and rock out.. oh, if you find any cool tones, do share

Bettyboo likes this.
  6. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

I've been considering getting one of these myself. But then GAS takes over pulling me towards other, bigger things. If I got one of these my Yamaha fan boy'ism would be pretty close to complete lol.

Bettyboo likes this.
  7. guidothepimmp

Its a cool piece of kit in that you can use it as a recording interface, comes with cubase, there is a downloadable software to tweak your patches ad nauseum, save patches,

Sounds huuuge and you can get proper cranked tones at low volumes..

This little box became my daily home noodler. I use the bigger ones for my weekend warrior jams

Bettyboo likes this.
  8. Bettyboo

Great reply, thanks.
    This is kinda where I am at now; AC30 not too overdriven. :dude:

The amp I got is the v.2, so I think the PSU and other hiss issues have been solved. No problems so far, but really only touched the surface.

Tomorrow's 'job' is to work out how decent the bass amp; is it equal to my 15w Laney practice amp? If so, I'll sell the Laney (I've already sold my portable Blackstar Bass Fly, so that has knocked $40 off the $260 price of this amp...). :io:

p.s. I love the look of your Les Paul Custom - I never used to like inlays and binding and gold, but I've turned 180 degrees for Les Pauls.

guidothepimmp likes this.
  9. guidothepimmp

So how is it going with the Yamaha?

Thanks on LP, i never liked LPs, now i cant get enough of them.. strange.

10. Bettyboo

The Yamaha is good. I'm still finding stuff out though, so all that I've really used is:

AC30 setting (crunch) which is nice. I haven't played around with settings much because I've been mostly working on technique when playing righthanded on the guitar, but each amp reacts differently to the gain/master/bass/middle/treble knobs, so there's a lot of ground covered and nuances to learn. Clearly, the amp is designed to sound like big tube amps at low and very low volumes which suits my current living situation perfectly.

Effects & delay/reverb: I like the fact that they all work well with any of the five amp settings which isn't the case with pedals and individual amps.

Bass input and tuner - not sure about these; might be a negatives or just brain lapses on my part - I need more time on the amp before trashing these functions, but my initial impressions were mehhhh.

11. guidothepimmp

I find the tuner to be adequate, not great but not bad. Nice for a quick tune up without having to stress about plugging in a tuner. I guess its the convenience i like.

Didnt even realise there was a bass input. Definitely checking that out. Shows how much attention i paid..

Bettyboo likes this.
  12. Bettyboo

Yeah, the tuner isn't as accurate as my TC polytune2, but it is decent for quick approximations so it's nice to have. Just seems a bit strange that on a quality product like this the tuner is only average. Having said that, I'll hold back judgement until I've gotten used to the guitar, amp and tuning the wrong way around! :shock:

guidothepimmp likes this.
  13. Bettyboo

Update:

1) Even though I'm English, I've always loved the Messa sound rather than the Marshall sound, and thus I've started using the "Modern" setting with the gain at 9am and the master a bit past midday; it's cleanish with a tad of crunch - quite a lot more girth on the wound strings. I like it, so that's at least two settings (along with the AC30 "Crunch" setting with plenty of gain) I like a lot.

2) The tuner is fine. Before, I messed around tuning the bass and guitar and it struggled (it did both, but not brilliantly). Now, just using the guitar to tune, it's much better.

syscokid likes this.
  14. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Can you get a good Fender Blackface clean-sound with the Fender Twin selection?

15. guidothepimmp

Cool update mate

16. syscokid

I just sold my 9 year old Vox DA-5 to make room for what might be the THR10. I also just found out, the Yamaha can be powered with 8 x AA batteries. The DA-5 could be powered with 6 X C's. Even though I've used the battery feature only a couple times in 9 years, I still think it's a cool feature to have.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I want the regular THR10 or the THR10C. I've been comparing the amp voices that's on description and some demo videos. @Bettyboo: do you miss not having the "Classic"?

Bettyboo likes this.
  17. Bettyboo

I am not sure; I'm not really a Fender man - when I had a 20w Mustang I thought the sounds were horrible except for the Princeton and Bassman (which at least one of if not both were accessed through the excellent Fuse software). I don't play much crystal clean.

A friend came around, stuck it on the Fender Twin setting and the PRS sounded pretty nice, pretty clean.

When playing the SG, AC30 setting, I find I like it best when the gain is dimmed and the master volume as loud as I can get away with; gives very nice bluesy tones at lowish volumes.

Also, the spring reverb is really nice. Did I say that already?

syscokid likes this.
  18. Bettyboo

That'll be an interesting choice, both amps seem very good. I have the standard although I wanted the C because I fancied an echoplex, Matchless and generally some more Bluesy sounds, but ended up with the only one I could find in stock and I'm very happy with it. It may come down to what amps you prefer, here are a list of the two:

THR10

Fender Twin.
    AC30.
    Marshall Plexi.
    Marshall DCM800.
    Messa Boogie.

The five main THR10C emulations are based on real-world amp circuitry as follows:
    From: http://newatlas.com/yamaha-thr10c-amp-review/26617/

I like a driven blues sound, so probably the C would have been better for me because I'd use (probably) all of those amp sims, but in no way am I disappointed with the standard model it's great; good amp sims, good modulation, great delay/reverb and very nice sounds at low volumes, light, portable, great for recording. It's quite pricey, but miles ahead of the standard $50-$150 practice amps. I've had VOX pathfinders, Marshall MGs, Blackstar Fly, Randall ss Kirk Hammett 15w, and others - the Yamaha is a different beast entirely.

I'll be very interested to find out which model you end up with and how you like it.

syscokid likes this.
  19. syscokid

Thanks Boo... in my perfect world, I would like the Classic, but replace the US Blues sim with the Mesa Boogie sim... that would be the ticket for me. I'm trying to keep my business local. There's a Yamaha dealer about 20 minutes away. I called them yesterday, and the employee said that they have only one, and he thinks it's the regular one. Next closest dealer is about 2 hours away... too far for me. Maybe the local dealer can order the C, and therefore try them both and promise to buy one... :hmm:

20. Bettyboo

^ I had the same problem; everyone loves the C, so they are sold out in Korea until May (according to the Yamaha rep). But, the standard is really good. The Twin is a nice sound, there's a nice chorus and vibrato, and the spring reverb is very nice - what more could a Fender player want?