Yamaha THR10 - reviews and suggestions.

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Bettyboo, Mar 24, 2017.

1. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

When i got mine, i tried the c, the standard and the x.

I opted for the standard in the end.. it is a preference thing though. Im chuffed with mine

syscokid likes this.
  2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

@Bettyboo
    @guidothepimmp
    Or whomever else...
    I got the THR10 two days ago. Only a couple of hours on it so far. Been operating it without looking into the manual yet. Also, downloaded the Steinberg and Cubase software but haven't accessed it yet.

The THR10 is a keeper. Thanks for the extra motivating GAS gentlemen. So what I noticed on the Clean (F Twin) and to a lesser extent, the Crunch (AC30): with my Strat with single coils, the gain needs to be maxed out for decent volume and more fulness. Otherwise, the clean tone sounds too pristine or too digitally. Got to back off the gain with humbuckers, though.

Reverb: I think it was on the Spring Reverb setting, but at first there was this annoying and lingering trail of a high frequency single tone that would just hang there while the rest of the reverb effect had decayed away. Almost like a feedback type of sound, but it was happening at all volume levels, effect levels, and, amp & gain settings. After an hour of operating the amp, I couldn't replicate that situation anymore. Not convinced that it's gone. Will see what happens next time.

Another head-scratching moment is when using the Brit Hi (JCM800) and Modern (Mesa) amp sims. With no effects selected at all, and quickly striking all the strings but muting them so none of them ring out (chaka chaka...!), I'm hearing very unnatural artifacts, like a very very short crashing reverb. Like the extra gain on these two sims is affecting in how the amp responds to this type of technique. This never went away like the reverb situation did.

Anything similar with ya'll?

3. guidothepimmp

Hey bud

Yeh mine also made that noise. Some say its only on older models, others say it was a gammy power supply. Curious then that mine was a new model with new software.

Turns out it is a stray wire causing interference on some settings. Good news! Its a 5 minute fix with a small cable tie.
    Check out this link

http://pickroar.com/1203/yamaha-thr10-squealing-noise-fix/

Hope this helps, certainly sorted mine out

ratsalad likes this.
  4. syscokid

Appreciate the info and the video link. But that that's not the noise that I'm trying to describe. Another way to describe the "very short crashing reverb" sound, and it has nothing to do with the reverb because it is turned off, is almost like there's a "Noise Gate" that is kicking in and kind of sounds like breaking glass for about a 1/4 of a second following the strike of the strings. I opened up the amp, and it must be the newer version because those wires have been properly separated at the factory. Plus, this amp is not getting the whistling feedback like the amp in that video.

I took a pic showing the properly separated wires (Red arrows). And a few extra pics, too for anyone's entertainment:

Yamaha THR10 (3).JPG

Yamaha THR10 (1).JPG

Yamaha THR10 (2).JPG

Yamaha THR10 (4).JPG

guidothepimmp and Bettyboo like this.
  5. syscokid

Found out what's going on. I connected the amp to the PC, and opened up the THR Editor. Sure enough, the Brit Hi and Modern amp sims has a Noise Gate activated by default. The Noise Gate can be adjusted or turned off. Once it's turned off that subtle crashing sound disappears. But now you hear the slight natural hiss of a high gain amp. There's a whole other world to these amps once you open it up on the PC. Amazing stuff... :dude:

Bettyboo and guidothepimmp like this.
  6. guidothepimmp

Haha, good stuff man..

I should connect mine then. Had it for a year and never connected it to pc

syscokid and Bettyboo like this.
  7. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

^ connect it up! The sw looks good. When I had a Fender Mustang, the best amp settings were only available through the excellent Fender Fuse sw.

Good stuff - I hope you like the amp.

Read through just now, so was too late to offer suggestions, sorry. I was gonna say: check the online sw noisegate. :D

Also, picking all that up then you have excellent ears and understanding of amp dynamics.

Yeah, the way they modeled components then 'created' the amps in sw does mean that ever amp reacts differently to setting changes/different guitars, etc - that effectively means we've 5 amps to learn, not just one modelling amp.

How are you finder the Fender Twin, to your liking? &, how have you gotten the best sounds from the Fender Twin settings?

I agree that diming the gain on the AC30 gives best results - it doesn't rawk-up as quickly as the real amp...

syscokid likes this.
  8. syscokid

There's at least 15 more amp sims in there. Every effect can be fine tuned with multiple parameters for each effect. Besides the hidden Noise Gate, there's also a hidden Compressor that you can fully control on the PC/MAC/Smartphone. You also get to download a free version of CUBASE... which I don't know a thing about recording software. Hell, I don't know anything about recording hardware... :facepalm:

Oh yes... that's a no brainer. Very happy with this purchase... :yesway:

Excellent observation!

First thing I did was max-out the gain when playing Strat/single coils. But I haven't experimented with the default Fender Twin sim thru the software yet... :naughty:

So far, this thread is between us three nerds. Hopefully some of this Nerd-GAS will permeate into the pores of other potential THR10-minites... :cheers:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  9. guidothepimmp

Im going to quit fiddling on here and hook it up right now..

Bettyboo and syscokid like this.
  10. syscokid

That's the Spirit... :cheers:

11. Bettyboo

I'm gonna do the same - I haven't hooked up any sw either... I did download a THR HD_H utility, but I am not sure what that is; looks like cab sims, reverb, gain, booster? I'll see what else I can download and plug it in!

12. Bettyboo

I'm struggling with this... Did you get some kind of card or code with your Thr10?

The Editor is pretty average, imho. The amp is good, and now I can use the amp speakers instead of my PC speakers (which is usful for guitar lessons, etc, especially when late at night and using the Thr headphone socket. But, the actual editor is meh... Fender Fuse is much better.

guidothepimmp likes this.
  13. guidothepimmp

Betty,

Yes, got a cd with mine that had some cubase platform on it, from there it installs a bunch of cubase files. The end step is a registration step where it asks for a code. My code was on an info slip explaining the steps.

Once the code is in, it then opens up the possibility of actually downloading the actual licensed cubase. Bit of schlep, but its fine in the end. 5 blimmin gigs is a bit heavy to download though.

Played around the sw for thd.. its ok, opens up a shartload of possibikities for tweaking. Exactly the kind of thing that irritates me. I hate tinkering.. so it is cool to mess around with, but i am sufficiently happy with the 3 base sounds i have been using, basically the crunch with gain for bluesy stuff, the jcm for old school rock, every now nd then the mesa to revisit my youth and hit up pantera style stuff, and the clean..

Ok, so thats 4 sounds ..

14. guidothepimmp

I got a bit side tracked yesterday due to my excitement of finding a krank 1x12 cab to go with my rev jr head. Good laawd it sound cool.
    But that said, it also reiterated how good this little thr amp is, tonally, it cdrtainly is no slouch, and its properly versatile.

The longer i have, th more im convinced it will stay with me a long time. Also, going away camping for easter, so guess what, jumbo pack of aa's, guitfiddle, and im gonna be jammin. Haha, try that with the boootik valve amp

15. Bettyboo

Hmmm, looks like I missed out on the Cubebase then. Not to worry, probably would never have used it.

The amp is decent; just does what it says on the box - good sounds at low volumes.

16. guidothepimmp

did you buy new? If yes id ask about it..

I can see how folks would miss out on these when picking them up 2nd hand. Truth be told, i didnt know about the cubase being in the bundle until i opened the box. So it was a bit like the moment you put on pants you hadnt worn in years and 1, it fits! And 2, theres a tenner in the pocket! :D

syscokid likes this.
  17. syscokid

Yes sir. It came in the same plastic bag as the Owner's Manual. Here's mine:

2017-04-14 07.15.01.jpg

And FWIW, this one, too:

2017-04-14 07.15.40.jpg

This all new territory for me, and I wouldn't know any better. This is as good as my fascination with the Great Kate...

3c7bb9e6916fa3365c8fecc2a04f460c.jpg

18. syscokid

Oh yeah... the CUBASE software is pretty hefty at around 5 GB's.

guidothepimmp likes this.
  19. guidothepimmp

Yup, my papers looked just like yours

I didnt get a great Kate though

20. syscokid

I slightly changed the parameters for Preset #10 (CLEAN Lead). And this is now "USER MEMORY" #1. The biggest factor is cranking the Mids and switching the CABINET from American 2x12 to British 2x12. Now I can back off on the Gain to between 3 and 5 and still have spectacular and full cleans. And... a splash of Hall Reverb. YHMV (Your Hearing May Vary) ...!

CLEAN Lead a la Greg.png