Younger Generation?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Six String, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Just heard this AM the there are three new CD's that top the charts and these are for ages 10 - 14..... Is this a warning of what's to come? Marketing is now at the younger age with things like the Be-Bop series and others. I'm afraid this means that our younger folks (14-17) will be made to feel old when their younger brothers and sisters come up and ask about some of the lastest Top 10 Hits off their CD's................ ;D :o ;D

It's kind of scary if you think about it. Is this because the demand is there or because the music industry wants to cultivate the younger generation to the music trends in their future? Are we possibly looking at final Grammy nominees of Metal and Romper Room Rock? Then this being the possibility, the next step has to be the development of "Putal Rock". The fusion of Punk/ Metal/ Rock for senior citizens that are loosing their eyesight (due to years of use) and their hearing (due to all the concerts in younger years) that will incorporate visual flashes of light (to aid the visual impairment) and literal "music with feelin" (vibration oriented music) that shakes the body............................

(Wait a minute....... Maybe we already have it. Windows Media Player let's you set the visual and I can already feel some of the music from some of the cars 2 blocks away......................... Never mind............ :roll:)

2. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Don't forget Fetal Rock............Remember the band "Little Fetal" with Lowell George? :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: (I'll stop now )

3. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

But to be serious for a moment (can I do that?) It's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$ :cry:

4. Six String

....... true, and making sure they get more of it........ earlier............... :roll:

5. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

in germany, novartis, a big pharma corporation, the makers of ritalin , is distributing comics in school

http://www1.uni-hamburg.de/psych-3/...nbilder03/renate/aktueltexte/0512hippihop.jpg

directed to children, in which hippihop, a nice octopus, being a quicksilver octopus finds himself alone and desperate

since a little fish (a shrink fish) convince him to ASK HIS PARENTS to let him take pills to be ok again.

at the end of the story you see 4 happy octopusses , BIG SMILES ;hangin novartis pills in their tentacles.

they do this to convince normal children that they have "antisocial" tendencies and that is good to have pills to be "happy" and "integrated" again.

in usa, they're contented to threaten parents...

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2000/09/25/medicate/

6. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

classy, "say yes to ritalin! can you imagine this people?

Mommy mommy can I have some ritalin? bobby next door gets it from his mom!

7. Six String

....... scares me & I'm almost fearless.......................... :roll:

8. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

if you want i can post the whole comic, it's in german though

9. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Wow thats really scary.

10. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

Hey, the way I see it is this: the more music, the better. Between the ages of 10 and 13, a lot of kids miss out on music. I'm glad that the interests of younger people are being taken seriously -- even if it is from niche marketers. Like hearing Be-Bop or electronica or funk at the age of 10 would have been a bad thing! Give me a break. Not everyone has a cooler older brother to learn about music from, right? Besides, I think part of the appeal of music to young people is that it is a commodity, because it allows them to feel as if this meager purchase goes toward the support of some part of the culture they identify with or enjoy. That's an important ritual for most people to experience in modern culture. Buying stuff, especially impractical stuff (like music and art), is significant precisely because you get to express your sense of its value in buying it! That's something I'm sure most of the members here will understand.  :coolsmiley: The important part is that young people learn about music as soon as they are ready -- it's the gift that keeps on giving. The younger you are when you start listening and practising, the more you stand to learn in a lifetime.

11. takkun

takkun Member

hey, as long as it isnt G-rap about violence and drugs, I am more than happy.
    Happy, that is, until I think about analogies between it and the tobacco industry.

12. Six String

With all the pros and cons of the music industry, tobacco industry, drugs, sex, etc, etc............. why don't we focus on teaching self control........................... :coolsmiley:

13. takkun

takkun Member

That would be an EXCELLENT idea. I am one of very few people my age who actually appreciate[/i their parents...I have no inclination towards drugs or crime, unlike many of my peers. People need to turn off the TV and spend family time. What greater way than music? my brother and I are best of friends and we play together. (and I get to drool over his Washburn ES335 copy..)

14. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

six string: this is really zenlike!!!! :)

and an excellent idea too

15. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

But I agree too...

You don't have to be in that destructive lifestyle to ROCK.
    Ted Nugent and a few others never did drugs.

You don't have to drink cleaning products, kill your parents, do wacky drugs,
    drive your car off a cliff, or bite the heads off rodents even! It's the MUSIC that counts!

(Zen, eh? wax on, wax off......)

16. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

hehehe

Daniel-san, must talk. Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished

17. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

thanks fotr the advice barbas :p

but I totally agree!

18. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

nono, daniel san is daniel san, as in "the karate kid"

as daniel san and master miyagi.

no reference with you, Daniel san ;D

19. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

I know barbas, I was only joking. shame that the guy who played Miyagi died recently...

20. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member