Your bass

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Dave_Death, Jun 10, 2015.

1. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

My Peavey is a Forum, from the mid-90s. I imagine the older ones were even heavier.

My Gibby EB13 is less than 8 pounds, and lining it up against the Peavey I can't see why it's so much lighter.

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Dave....I have sciatica and 2 bad discs lower back......i can tell you ----stretching--- can make a huge difference ESPECIALLY your hamstrings....

hey it can't hurt

Dave_Death likes this.
  3. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Body wood, neck joint ... bolt-on neck joints and maple bodies tend to be heavy

4. Dave_Death

Col Mustard and eS.G. like this.
  5. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

sadly i don't currently have a bass, but i do enjoy playing them. i had an epi thunderbird for a while

i wouldn't mind getting my hands on a cabronita p bass
    [​IMG]

eS.G. likes this.
  6. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Get 2 send me 1

zisme likes this.
  7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I hate when my pickle stays swollen to long lol

8. Dave_Death

You've got to use your Badass before your Swollen Pickle for it to sound good

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

:cool:well played Mr. Death.....well played:naughty:

10. Dave_Death

Just don't let your Rottweiler anywhere near your Cry Baby

Or your Badass or your Swollen Pickle, for that matter. Whole lot of screeching will happen.

eS.G. likes this.
  11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Where's the pedal for the pissed off Soviet Tank? I imagine the Rotweiler comes somewhere into that territory,
    but still... I'd like a pedal that gives the ripping sound of 4 23mm AA guns firing at the same time, with the diesel undertone
    and somewhat scooped mid range.
    ZSU-23-4-Camp-Pendleton.jpg

Madmatt and Dave_Death like this.
  12. Dave_Death

Ha ha I don't have any photos but I loaned by bass rig - including the pedalboard - to the bassist in this new band project I am putting together at a jam last night and he was like a kid in a lolly shop with that pedalboard, especially the wah. He also really seemed to enjoy the Rottweiler and the Swollen Pickle used with the LS-2 for wet/dry mix.

He also compared my Squier to his Fender USA Precision and was kind of blown away by how BRIGHT my bass is. His bass sounds great, it has a nice, warm, clear heavy tone but mine just sounds kind of nuts. Great for punk and funk but I am starting to realize that eventually I will need to get a bass with a Precision type pickup and a rosewood board to cover those times when I want warmer, darker sounds. My Squier can sound like a Rickenbacker though, which his Precision cannot. His bass does sound much better through the distortion circuit on the MXR M-80 DI+ though. I think my bass is too bright and scoopy for that to sound right.

I should say that I have the gain pedals all going INTO the wah, and then into the LS-2, which gives some interesting outcomes. The LS-2 gives something like the sound of a stereo rig without the expense.

13. Col Mustard

After playing my old Jazz bass for literally decades and saying I didn't need anything
    else, I also have been blown away by the tone of my formerly Squier but now custom
    Precision Bass. The P-Bass sound seems like it's been perfected decades ago, and
    can't be "improved." It doesn't need to be. The Jazz bass was designed to offer more
    tones back in the day before bassists had any pedals or built-in f/x, and the P-bass seemed
    like a one trick pony. (but it does the one trick you need, and does it soooo well...)

And when you have all these effects to put to use, the difference between
    a J-Bass and a P-Bass can become obscured, and maybe is no longer so important.

You've got an EQ pedal on your board. If your bass seems bright, there's complete
    control, or nearly complete. The tone controls on all my basses seem quite responsive,
    and give more range than I usually use. IMHO, in many bands, if everyone is using f/x
    without consulting each other or the 'leader,' then SOMEBODY has to play clean or the
    mix turns to mush. Guess who that might be? If the bass and the drums are tight and
    clean, then keys and guitar and that weird emo girl singer with the Theramin can get
    as far out in the galaxy as possible, and the mix will rock on.
    Raven and me.jpg

Dave_Death likes this.
  14. Dave_Death

Oh I can dial the brightness back using the Audere Pro JZ3 4-band active preamp, the EQs on the board, and the EQ on my amp but it was striking how different the base tone (all pots right up on his passive bass or all pots at centre detent on my active bass) wwas between the two. I think my bass is the brightest one he's ever heard.

One thing I do notice with it being a bright Jazz with SD QP pickups is that the 'scooped' character of the sound makes the low string sound quite different from the others. Have you noticed this? Does your Jazz have a maple fretboard?

Also theramin is banned on pain of death in any band I am in! The recent Black Flag tour when Greg Ginn inflicted the theramin on the audience all the way through made me thoroughly detest that 'instrument'!

http://fasterlouder.junkee.com/an-open-letter-to-black-flag/834647

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  15. Col Mustard

my basses all have rosewood, and the wiring is all very straightforward traditional
    and the strings are 45-105, and my tuning is standard... I sound sooooooo
    conventional. I use roundwound strings on both my fretted basses because I really love
    the sound this makes. On the P-Bass, I've lowered the pickup under the E string AND under the G string. So it slopes up in the middle, trying to match the radius crudely. That DOES
    make a difference to the sound of each string. With my J-Bass, I think I've set the pickups to be level.

My J-Bass can get A LOT brighter than my P-Bass for sure, that's what
    I was talking about, I believe it was designed to be able to present a wider range right
    out of the instrument with no pedals. Mine is wired to be a humbucker with both p'ups full on, but there's a sweet spot (for me) with the bridge pickup dialed back maybe a quarter turn.
    Other bassists have said the same.

16. Dave_Death

It's funny I usually have my bridge up on full with my neck pickup wound back

I think I like the bright sound, especially when practicing alone. It's probably easier for me to hear and sounds more natural to me, being a guitarist. I even have the high Z switch on most of the time.

This is the model that I have. I don't think any of the mods I've made have really reduced the brightness of it at all. The mods have mainly improved sustain, tuning stability, clarity, and output with the exception of the EQ in the preamp, which has added more range of sounds, especially the ability to fine-tune the low and high mids.

17. Dave_Death

Not my rig, just posting it because I figure some of you might find it entertaining. Belongs to Chris in Stardrifter, a local doom metal band that tunes to G# or something ludicrous like that. 175 gauge low string on a Thunderbird!

[​IMG]

Madmatt likes this.
  18. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

:dude::dude::dude: yes!:dude::dude: THUNDIRBIRD!!!!

19. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Holy crap!!! .175" for a low E? What's he tuning to? It can't be to E. Is he tuned down to D, or lower?

20. Dave_Death

WAY LOWER. I can't remember exactly, but it was something stupid like F# standard, i.e., F#-B-E-A

That's only one step shy of a full octave down

SG John likes this.