Your favorite modelling amps.......and recommendations?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by living room rocker, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Any one tried or have experience with the Boss Katana Artist Combo? Just curious if it is worth the extra $$$.

2. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

This sounded impressive when I heard one a couple of weeks ago, seriously considering one as it goes :D

E1945CC2-9666-4BF3-94D9-0FEAE5BEC22B.jpeg

022F876C-31C9-49BF-9E73-C0EFDA944C6F.jpeg

Boss Nextone, no less than 4 class A/B amps in them! And some clever analogue circuitry to give 4 classic valve emulations - and it responds like a valve amp too :cool:

40watts for around £450:thumb:

Bob

3. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Wow, I never heard of that one...I haven't been paying attention. I really like the looks of that one, and liked what I heard in the video. I will keep this in the back of my mind, until I decide to pull the trigger.

4. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

They only launched a couple of weeks ago! The one I saw was one of the first in the UK, at a local music shop event where the Boss folks had brought one along :D

Bob

jtees4 likes this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Boss's latest amps are all very good. If you're going to buy new, go for the latest, Nextone that is.

jtees4 likes this.
  6. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

I loooove my Boss Katana 50 and gig with it no worries.
    This is an interesting video though and makes me think there may be another option for those in the market. I have played one but these guys seem to like it!

fos1 likes this.
  7. fos1

fos1 Active Member

Incredible music. Such a joy! I could listen to them all night.

83 Blazer likes this.
  8. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

Chappers on youtube has said "buy a BOSS katana 2x12 and you'll never sell it as long as you live", paraphrased. He plays amps constantly, and can pick out a Gibson SG just by the smell of it. Seems like he knows what he's talking about, and others on this thread also recommend the katana. I bought a Vox VT20+ over 3 years ago based on a few song settings I tried out at the shop several times, and based on the fact that I needed an amp of some kind, and don't regret that in the slightest. It has 33 different amp models on there, of which I like about a third.

For effects, I'm sorry to say but there really is no substitute for the real thing. If you want good reverb and don't own a Fender amp or something similar, it's gonna cost you a pedal. If you want a decent TS9 type OD for boosts, it's gonna cost ya. A good chorus, delay, or wah? Pony up that money.

Personally, I don't need anything but a decent amp, reverb, and OD pedal, and even those two pedals are negotiable depending on the amp. I have Mesa Mark IV combo and it's basically all I need, not that I don't still get things that are cool and fun.

[EDIT] Chappers recommended a katana ARTIST iirc, not just a katana. Memory's a bit iffy, but I'm pretty sure he said the artist version.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Lunacy the Faded and DrBGood like this.
  9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

PEAVEY Transtube 212, very good sound, 3D sound.

[​IMG]

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  10. DrBGood

They're great, aren't they ? I had one for a little while, but it was making a strange clicking noise I couldn't get rid of, so I sold it. I've had several versions of the Valvetronix over the years and I like them all. I just sold them because of gas. If I was in a pinch for a new great sounding cheap amp, I'd go for the AD30VT anytime. They go around for $100.

Beery Swine likes this.
  11. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

Cant go wrong with any of em, fender mustang V.2 is the most versatile, vox valvetronix amps punch like full tube amps :h5:

12. DrBGood

Just bought and sold a Mustang II V2. Two weeks ... Not my cup of tea.

13. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

I haven't tried the ADs, but on the VT+s the Roland JC120, Marshall JTM45, JCM800, and Plexi all sound great, not to mention all the Vox models on there, which damn well better sound great.
    I'm sure the Fender models on there sound good, too, but I just don't know what to play using a Bassman or a Twin Reverb.

14. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I'm not doubting you at all....but just a fact. I had a II and a III at the same time. The II sounds nothing like the III. I hated it. But I love my III to this day. In fact I transferred all my own presets from my III into my II just to make sure....and they didn't even sound close to each other. I'd guess it has a lot to do with the open back and better speaker in the III. I also did not like the controls on the II itself, it was very awkward to me without using the software. The III can control 95% of everything from the amp itslef, easily. No comparison IMHO.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. DrBGood

I'm not doubting you at all either :h5:

I don't need one, but if I stumble onto a "can't refuse" deal on a III, I might get it.

jtees4 likes this.
  16. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Yamaha THR10

plankton likes this.
  17. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

It really is a great sounding amp (I think I recommended it earlier in this thread). I hadn't played mine in about a month as I got the Nextone and was busy getting to know it, but the other night I plugged into the THR10 while sitting on the couch watching TV and was in love all over again.

Truth be told, while I ended up buying a Nextone, it was the THR100 that I truly lusted after, unfortunately it's a bit of stretch economically for me right now when you add the cost of the cab. So when the Nextone came out I saw the opportunity to get something with similar functionality at a price I could afford. I don't know if the THR100 sounds better than the Nextone because I avoided trying one knowing I couldn't afford it. Maybe someday I'll find out.

But yeah, the THR10 is awesome!

living room rocker and drown like this.
  18. UTGrad

UTGrad Member

I have the Vox VtX100w Valvetronix and has several amp models and effects pedals. Great amp and sounds good turned up or down.

19. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

I can not recommend the Vox Valvetronix enough! I have the VT20X and I am very pleased with it. I must say, I don't have much to compare it to as it was my first proper Amp which I bought over a year ago and its still my one and only.

I play it at very low volumes. The Power level knob which acts as an attenuator is very useful! I never move it past 9 o'clock with a lot of gain dialed in and never past 12 o'clock on clean settings. So even the 20 Watts version has enough potential to get loud.
    I mainly play the Marshall and Orange models most of the time, so I can't really say how good the clean amp models are. I love the clean tone I get from the orange amp model in combination with P90s though!

20. DrBGood

I'm happy to see much Valvetronix love here. Those amps are really not appreciated at their just value. But it's OK, their used prices stay fair with that :)

Lunacy the Faded and Beery Swine like this.