Your First Gibby.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Logan, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

So how long has everyone here been playing, and at what age did you get your first Gibson? Was it your first guitar, inherited, your parents give it to you, or did you work your rear end off to finally get it?

For me, I started playing at 10 and played for 1 and a half years on a Jackson Dinky before I got into it. When I did, my parents rewarded me with an Epi Wildkat for Christmas, and for my birthday we got it rewired by JonesyBlues. Then I worked over the summer for my parents and got my Nashville Tele. For the upcoming christmas we gutted it and made it my own.

After all of that I decided that I wanted my next guitar to be the real-deal, full blown U.S.A. made Gibson Les Paul. So I did research, and decided I wanted a Les Paul Recording. That went out the window when the 2013 that my music store had was sold. Then I wanted a 2015 Classic in Seafoam Green. Then that sold. And finally, after working for my parents for a while and making some money, I was going to wait for a good Les Paul.

Then in 2016 my Dad made me take some time to sit down with the 2015 SG Standard that they had there. I wasn't interested at first, because she was a burst and didn't stand out from the crowd to me. Eventually, though, he got me to sit down with her and I strummed a G Chord. I decided I was going to get her and then put her in layaway. I worked for my parents over the summer, and I wouldn't be where I am today without them. They are the coolest and most supportive people of my "hobby" which I hope to turn into a career someday. But, my SG was my first real Gibby, and I'm proud of her :D
    [​IMG]
    Here's all of the Guitars I have now.

Gahr, Plan Zero and ratsalad like this.
  2. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Took me about 27 years to finally buy a real vintage Gibson. I went through periods of years without any guitars, many cheap guitars (epiphone, squier, etc) and recently found a 71 eb-0 husk for $200 which I restomodded (pictured). Now about to go look at a 68 melody maker tomorrow I may have to get if I can negotiate the price. That one will be the "investment". I'm an avid antique hunter so vintage is the way to go for me; I justify purchases by thinking about future values.
    20180212_123317.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    DrBGood likes this.
  3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Started playing at age 10, that was 1976. Got my first Gibson in 1977, at age 11, it was a brand-new '77 Les Paul Custom.
    I had that guitar for 22 years before selling it, and I've owned many other Gibsons, and I honestly can't count the number I have owned over the 41 years since I got that first one.

4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Started playing guitar at 12 in 1985. I first only had a nylon string, bought my frist electric in 1988. I never had any money when I was young, so I couldn't afford much in the way of equipment. My first Gibson was this "beauty", a 1975 SG-II, bought in 1993. I still have it.

[​IMG]

grausch likes this.
  5. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

My first Gibson's were a couple Gibson acoustics.. A 70's Hummingbird, and I forget what the other one was. These were also the first guitars I owned (given to me by my grandfather).. No pictures, and really wish I still had them. I got into electric, and the assumption was made that I no longer had any interest in the acoustic guitars and had abandoned them, so they were sold :facepalm:

6. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I started playing wheb I was 8. I hated it and quit until I was 13 (1978) when I got a cheap electric (SG copy, pics coming soon). I got my first Gibson 1980, a Sonex 180. I was a dumb kid, and never liked it. It was too heavy and the neck felt like a baseball bat.

7. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I just turned 60 and have been playing for at least 50 years (damn...I feel old). My first electric was a Kay and then I bought a cheap LP Black Beauty knockoff (bolt on neck). In 1974 I finally bought a real Gibson. It was '66 non reverse Firebird. I bought it off Andy Shernoff from The Dictators, he worked at a music store across from my high school. It was well used and had a few mods, though without the internet I wasn't really sure what was what. It originally had a vibrato which had been swapped for a Badass bridge. I added mini Schaller tuners and off I went. It played and sounded great (P-90's)....and it became my main gigging guitar for the next bunch of years (through a Marshall Major) when I was in a semi serious originals band in and around NYC. It felt so good just to hold a Gibson finally, and actually owning one was a real big deal back then for me. My red '02 Firebird in my Avatar was bought because I missed my old Bird....but it did not feel anything like it and I sold it. Can't bring back the past. If I could I'd be 21 and have a hot 18 year old girlfriend....and be playing my '66 Firebird through my Earth amplifier.

8. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

My first Gibson was a 1964 Cherry red ES 335 with a factory Bigsby.
    I bought it brand new from the original Sam Ash Music store in Brooklyn
    when it was the only Sam Ash and the Ash family actually ran it and worked there.

9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

My first Gibson was an 84 LP Deluxe tobacco burst. I got it for 300 bucks from a pawnshop that didn't know what they had :)

10. Tiboy

Tiboy Member

My first Gibson came at age 50. I had been away from guitar for close to 30 years. I crashed my bicycle and broke my hip. My wonderful wife bought me a LP Tradional Pro as a combination 50th Birthday present and for something to do while enduring a long recuperation. We both thought that when I was up and about the guitar would end up in a closet. The TP is gone but I now have an R9, SG VOS and a few other non-Gibson to keep me busy.

11. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

When I started playing bass, my first Gibson was a 67 EB3L. Fantastic playing bass that could do Cream and Beatles well. Everything else was a bit beyond the limited tones.
    First Gibson guitar...... mid late 60's Melody Maker SG, followed by a 67 ES330, then a 72 Paul Custom.

12. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

I worked my ass off to buy a Les Paul BFG. Played it for a while, but didn't get a long with it, so sold it on (lost some money on that one).

The next one was a Gibson Les Paul Standard. Same story.

Then I bought my SGJ (and joined this insane asylum). I've now have 2 SGs :cheers:

13. Markaria

Markaria Member

I started to mess with the guitar when i was 6 or so... but didnt really get into seriously playing until i was starting high school. My first electric was a yamaha se112 my parents got me for Christmas... anywho fast forward a few years and in the late 80s i walked into a guitar shop and saw a 76 lp custom for sale... with ohsc... for 400... needless to say it was mine. The guitar had some belt buckle rash and some small dings and smelled like cigarettes lol... but it was MINE!!! also made me realize my crappy practice amp at the time wasnt worth a darn lol. 20180309_073917.jpg

SG standard and Logan like this.
  14. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

I started playing guitar in 1970 at the age of 13. My parents bought me a Silvertone acoustic, which I still have. At that point no-one thought there was any future in electric guitar so I had to buy my own. I saved and bought an Epiphone ET270 (like Curt Cobain started with) in '73 that I used in several bands. I started saving in '74 for a serious electric guitar. I saved every penny I could and was determined to get a Les Paul. It was an inflationary period. I'd go to the stores and they'd say, "A used Les Paul is $200." I saved up the $200 but by that time the price had risen to $225. I'd go away and save the difference and it would have gone up again. This went on for three years.

Finally in the Fall of '77 I was twenty and was invited to join a pretty hot band. I had to get that serious guitar. I sold the Epi, added the money I'd saved, and went shopping. I found a used Les Paul but I was just short of the price they wanted. By this time the store manager had seen me trying to get an LP for years and had mercy on me. Here is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a '74 Kalamazoo Small Script Standard in dark wineburst, a guitar built with full-sized humbuckers in response to customer demand before the official "Standard" line started up in Nashville. Its got lots of miles and smiles on it, first traveling with that band starting in '77 and other bands, and then doing sessions. I still use it to this day.

[​IMG]

Bob

jtees4, SG standard and Markaria like this.