Your "Go-to" Practice Songs or Bands

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by rotorhead, Dec 4, 2017.

1. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

For me, I'm always going back to the basics to stay fresh, the kinds of simple boogie songs or Bands to keep me limber. Bands such as AC/ DC, Status Quo, Chuck Berry, the Stones, etc. I'll even add harder rock stuff like old Krokus, JP, Saxon, etc.

I'm not all that great of a player in the first place so warming up with the basics keeps me fresh. What are some of your go to styles to stay on the ball?

2. LDS

LDS Member

ZZ Top, Montrose

3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

For me? I practice Jazz, Alt stuff (such as Mr. Brightside by The Killers), and shred (such as Crazy Train by Ozzy Ozzborne).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I might warm up with some Sabbath occasionally but I really don't get off on playing other people's music. It kind of bores the crap out of me. I almost never play known songs unless I have agreed to do it for some reason, i.e. a gig or party jam or something. I usually insist on doing more interesting songs in those cases too, I won't play the "standards" any more as I just don't get any reward from doing it. I use my playing time to work on my own ideas and write my own stuff.

drown and Logan like this.
  5. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Neil Young. A couple of The Who. Same with ELP. And just some stuff I’ve made up over time.

6. Didds

Didds Active Member

It's always AccaDacca for me, or at the very least just riffing in the style of them. Sometimes Chuck Berry, bit of Creedence Clearwater, Black Keys and SRV. I'd like to start learning some Beatles tunes but some of their stuff is proving to be harder than it sounds. I like to dedicate a fraction of time to writing too, not that said time lasts very long but I try. For the most part though, it's just AC/DC and noodling around on lead. I don't exactly have the most productive practice schedule :rofl:

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

8. xland

xland Member

You can pretty well bet on me playing the opening to The Who's Live at Leeds version of Summertime Blues anytime I pick up the guitar. Another would be CCR's version of Proud Mary or Allman Bros/Warren Haynes Soulshine on the neck pu.

In general my go-to play/practice songs are from The Who, ZZ Top, AC/DC, LZ, Cream, Bad Company...classic rock.

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

For a while I was stuck on the Sparks part of My Generation on Live At Leeds. P90s will lead you to believe you're at Woodstock with John Entwistle and Keith Moon, really ... they'll do that !

But I mostly make up my own. https://soundcloud.com/drbgood

rotorhead and xland like this.
  10. xland

xland Member

At the risk of making an absolute fool of myself, here is my weak attempt at playing Sparks (mind you, I have only been playing for just over 3 years - -started at the advanced age of 45)...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    DrBGood likes this.
  11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You're getting there. Try to play it with the real tune now, it'll help your timing.

xland likes this.
  12. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Warmup? B. B. King. Always B. B. King. And some Fleetwood Mac and a little bit of AC/DC.

rotorhead likes this.
  13. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

Man...Sparks. idk how many times I used to jam on that one lol. Good stuff.

Which brings me to another angle of practicing: finally learning songs correctly after years of playing them fairly close to how they go but not quite....

When I was starting out back in the late 70s/ early 80s, there was no tablature, no computers (at least none that we could afford), no internet, etc. Every once in a while a magazine like Guitar Player would include sheet music for a song, but I never learned how to read music. It was all Chinese to me.

The only way to learn songs was to copy what I heard in records (or tapes or 8-tracks) or learn from someone else. It's amazing still for me these days to look up lessons on YouTube to see just how bad I've been playing a song lol.

xland, DrBGood and Plan Zero like this.