Your "Go-to" Practice Songs or Bands

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by rotorhead, Dec 4, 2017.

1. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

For me, I'm always going back to the basics to stay fresh, the kinds of simple boogie songs or Bands to keep me limber. Bands such as AC/ DC, Status Quo, Chuck Berry, the Stones, etc. I'll even add harder rock stuff like old Krokus, JP, Saxon, etc.

I'm not all that great of a player in the first place so warming up with the basics keeps me fresh. What are some of your go to styles to stay on the ball?

2. LDS

LDS Member

ZZ Top, Montrose

3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

For me? I practice Jazz, Alt stuff (such as Mr. Brightside by The Killers), and shred (such as Crazy Train by Ozzy Ozzborne).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I might warm up with some Sabbath occasionally but I really don't get off on playing other people's music. It kind of bores the crap out of me. I almost never play known songs unless I have agreed to do it for some reason, i.e. a gig or party jam or something. I usually insist on doing more interesting songs in those cases too, I won't play the "standards" any more as I just don't get any reward from doing it. I use my playing time to work on my own ideas and write my own stuff.

drown and Logan like this.
  5. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Neil Young. A couple of The Who. Same with ELP. And just some stuff I’ve made up over time.

6. Didds

Didds Active Member

It's always AccaDacca for me, or at the very least just riffing in the style of them. Sometimes Chuck Berry, bit of Creedence Clearwater, Black Keys and SRV. I'd like to start learning some Beatles tunes but some of their stuff is proving to be harder than it sounds. I like to dedicate a fraction of time to writing too, not that said time lasts very long but I try. For the most part though, it's just AC/DC and noodling around on lead. I don't exactly have the most productive practice schedule :rofl:

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member