Your Thoughts - 2017 Pelham Blue SG Standard T

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by lawrev, May 26, 2018.

1. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Yeah still likely to turn. It's the clear that turns yellow.
    It's like with most headlight plastics these days, you'll see if they're exposed to a lot of sun they'll haze.

2. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

I love Pelham Blue. Mine's not a newer one, but I'd go ahead and snag one if I were you. IMG_8430.JPG

Demon Dave and papagayo like this.
  3. Sparky84

Sparky84 New Member

The wood grain does not show through mine. But I absolutely love the color. I think it was the 2019s where they came out with "Aged Pelham Blue", which was a bit darker and which I did not like as much as the original PB. Great guitar.

[​IMG]

Demon Dave and Gahr like this.
  4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

What humbuckers did you mount on your SG?

Sometimes 2017 models has finish problem, they came from Chicago Music Exchange (limited run) .

5. Sparky84

Sparky84 New Member

Ha! Don't get me started. I think there is a thread on here somewhere about my adventures with this guitar and a Reverb seller. I bought it and it arrived as promised, looked beautiful, sounded great. I excitedly posted some pics on either this or the MLP forum. Some sharp-eyed knucklehead replied "check the pickups," as he spotted that the pickup cover screws were not black, as they should have been.

Problem is, I had the guitar delivered to my mom's house, because I live overseas, so while I've seen it and played it unplugged, I have no idea what the pickups sound like, or if they are original.

So I go back to the seller and gently asked a few questions about the pickups, not accusing him of anything. He proceeds to completely fly off the handle. Basically he acted all offended that I had the temerity to question him when he had "outstanding ratings" on Reverb, etc., without really answering my specific questions about where he got it and why it was not the exact same guitar as in the photos in his ad. His overreaction did not increase my confidence in this purchase.

My biggest complaint was not the color of the screws, it was that the guitar you see above was not the exact guitar in the photos, which he should have disclosed. Other sellers on Reverb do disclose that. He claimed he got the photos mixed up on his computer (really? how many Pelham Blue SGs has he sold? He's not a retailer.)

In the end, I satisfied myself that it wasn't a fake (which was my main concern), but honestly I have no idea what if anything was done with the pickups. I suppose they should have the 490T/Rs stock? But until I have a chance to either take it apart or plug it in, I have no idea.

I do know, however, that it looks cool and sounds and feels great unplugged, so that's the good news. I do get a bit of neck dive, I noticed, but that is manageable. Chalk it up to experience buying things online, it's always a bit of a crapshoot. But I do recommend the guitar.

Dale likes this.
  6. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Member

I’ve had one of these on two different occasions.. great color.. reminds me of a classic car color from the 50s or 60s.

arcticsg likes this.
  7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Well-Known Member

IMG_0021.jpg

Updated since last time.

(Posting for sale soon.)

Tom

8. OldDog

OldDog Member

In case Excellent(edit).JPG My knowledge of the SG is pretty limited, but I gather these are not very common in PB, no? That doesn't seem to make much sense since gloss PB is a stunning color for this guitar shape. When I saw it in this white-lining case, I knew it was a keeper. And what's the significance of being able to see the wood grain in the finish? I can clearly see the grain in mine - a 2011. Is that good or bad and in what way?

papagayo likes this.
  9. JackStraw

JackStraw New Member

If you haven't already do so. My tech who dosen't get blown away by anything new & doesn't pay lip service to placate your need to believe your guitar is aces quietly said after playing it " that's a beautiful instrument." 20180117_153125.jpg 20180117_153125.jpg 20180117_153125.jpg 20180117_153125.jpg 20180117_153125.jpg

Demon Dave and jonnyfez like this.
  10. semka

semka New Member

The 2017I
    If this 2017 Pelham Blue Standard was from AMS exclusive run, it should come with '57 pickups.

arcticsg likes this.
  11. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada New Member

Let's see if I get any likes...I find Pelham Blue to get boring after a short time. Had a strat in that colour....boring, dull colour.

12. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

I’ve always liked mine 548A45F0-4F38-4C50-B0AA-F0C1B9B5F12C.jpeg

Satellitedog and Demon Dave like this.
  13. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

This is correct. AMS exclusive run SG Standard in Pelham Blue pups. They are the same pups as the corresponding SG Standard of that year.

2017 '57 Classics

2018 '61R/'61T

2019 '61R/'61T

14. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Gibson don' t use big chrome screws with black plastic and pole spacing are not the same on neck and bbridge humbuckers.