Your three must have pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects' started by DFLCC, Mar 4, 2018.

1. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

For playing in a band: Archer, Black Zendrive, and a Reverb (Digitech Polaris is on the board, atm).

Playing alone / practicing, I would add a looper (Boss RC-2) and loose the Zendrive.

I switch around all the time, though. I try to keep no more than 5-6 pedals on the board, including here the tuner and the looper. BJFE Honey Bee is another one is often stacked with the Archer and works exceptionally well with SGs.

19sixty3 likes this.
  2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

Polytune, dod looking glass, ehx 720 looper.

3. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Member

Tuner, channel switcher and a clean boost for solos (Using a Marshall 2525H Mini Jubilee and matching 2x12 cab).

I'll swap the channel switcher for an Xotic SL drive if I'm using my Fender '64 Custom Deluxe reverb.

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

I guess it would have to be my Harley Benton American Sound, which is really just a relabeled Joyo, their clone of the Tech 21 Blonde Fender like preamp, and my Artec SE-EQ8, which is an 8 band graphic equalizer.

And then the plate reverb in my Zoom G1Xon, since it works as my main reverb.

What helps shape my clean tone, which is what I use most, and the pedals that are always on, though I would have a hard time being without my Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo, Boss TR-2 clone, and my Berhringer UT300 Ultra Tremolo, Boss TR-2 clone, which I have hooked up to a Boss LS-2, for blending in some cleans and turning it into a deep lush chorus effect.

The tremolo and vibrato, that I use as a chorus with blended in cleans, gives a really lush modulation, that in some aspects sounds a bit like a harmonic tremolo, just with a bit more deep chorushish flavor, and the tremolo alone I use a lot too.

5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

My electric pedal board now:
    electric pedal board 2017.jpg
    It's pretty simple: Tuner, EQ, Overdrive, Reverb, DI box which sends the signal to the P.A. and the
    amp, so the amp is just a stage monitor. These four are essential to my tone, but I could pare them
    down to three... Tuner stays, overdrive stays, now what... Chorus might be nice, or delay.
    I don't use both at the same time.

Since one of my amps has a good reverb unit, I could get rid of the TC electronics HOF (hall of fame)
    reverb pedal, but I hate to, because it's the best reverb I've ever used.

I could replace the EQ pedal with a MXR Dyna Comp on the end of the signal chain... they do
    different things, but I know how to make that function. Sometimes I use either of those as a clean
    boost. The EQ pedal is useful as a clean boost and also when playing two different guitars through
    the same amp and pedal board. I could remove the EQ pedal, and use the Blues Driver as a dirty boost
    and that is fine

So maybe that's it: Tuner, Overdrive, Delay... I could play with that minimal board.

6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Here's my acoustic pedal board:
    Zelda Pedalboard 2018@100.jpg
    Once again, this is a lot simpler than it looks... Tuner, Body Rez, Reverb, Chorus, Pre-amp D.I...
    Does the pre-amp D.I.count as a pedal? It's actually technology from the early oughts, but it's still
    useful. My newest instrument could probably play without the pre-amp, and the Body Rez is so new
    that I'm not totally sure how to use it. yet, so if I was faced with sudden death if I came onstage with
    more than three pedals, I'd keep Tuner, Reverb and the Afterglow Chorus.

If the judges ruled that my Fishman Pro-EQ pre-amp D.I. counts as a "pedal" (even though I don't stomp
    it), I'd give up the chorus but not the reverb. So that's my 'backed into a corner" acoustic-electric rig:
    Tuner, Reverb, EQ...

Let's go on with the show...

19sixty3 likes this.
  7. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Since the amp has reverb I'd say delay and fuzz (if the SG has P90's) . To bump the pedal count to three I'd add a wah-wah.

19sixty3 likes this.
  8. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Great question as I usually try to keep the pedals down to 3 for gigs . The two 'must-haves' are -

OD - currently a Voodoo Lab Sparkledrive
    Echo - currently TC Electronics Flashback II (but thinking of getting back to the Danelectro DanEcho, the Flashback has way more bells and whistles than what I need, which is just a nice crisp slapback.)

Also sometimes add in -

Wah - Dunlop Crybaby
    Compressor - Keeley
    Fuzz - Fulltone '70
    Chorus - Ibanez, used pretty much only for the dual outputs to two amps, if needed.

Wondering if anyone here has experience with the Dunlop EP103 Echoplex pedal? and with the Wampler Tumnus or clones? Both are pricey, but have been curious about both.

19sixty3 likes this.
  9. 19sixty3

19sixty3 New Member

With just three pedals it is all down to shape / to get the desired tone. My take would be:
    1. Small Sound Big Sound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine
    2. Revv G3
    3. Boss Heavy Metal HM 2

10. Goyoes

Goyoes New Member

1. Friedman Dirty Shirley
    2. Rumble FX Marvel Drive
    2. ISP Decimator G-string II