your top 10 led zep tracks

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by TheKingOfPeng, Aug 3, 2011.

1. TheKingOfPeng

TheKingOfPeng Member

another idea i had. fave led zep tracks, number 1 being most favorite. Heres mine...

1. Tangerine
    2. in the light
    3 . black mountain side
    4. stairway to heaven
    5. battle of evermore
    6. dazed and confused
    7. babe im gonna leave ya
    8. no quarter
    9. kashmir
    10. immigrant song

2. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I've been a Zeppelin fan for most of my life but my personal list of favorite songs has changed over the years, namely because I can no longer include the songs that they blatantly stole (and the list is long). But still they did write some great songs and my faves are:

1. Kashmir
    2. Good Times, Bad Times
    3. Rain Song
    4. Living Loving Maid
    5. Ten Years Gone
    6. In The Light
    7. Heartbreaker
    8. Black Dog
    9. Thank You
    10. No Quarter

3. TheKingOfPeng

TheKingOfPeng Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=21781.msg260996#msg260996 date=1312403531]
    I've been a Zeppelin fan for most of my life but my personal list of favorite songs has changed over the years, namely because I can no longer include the songs that they blatantly stole (and the list is long). But still they did write some great songs and my fags are:

1. Kashmir
    2. Good Times, Bad Times
    3. Rain Song
    4. Living Loving Maid
    5. Ten Years Gone
    6. In The Light
    7. Heartbreaker
    8. Black Dog
    9. Thank You
    10. No Quarter
    [/quote]

Ive been a fan for most of my life to. Ive also met robert plant many times in my local pub. he only lives 5 miles down the road from me :) Ahh i totally forgot about rain song lol oh well

4. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

1. Whole Lotta Love

2. erm...

5. TheKingOfPeng

TheKingOfPeng Member

cheers for the answers guys. keep em comin :coolsmiley:

6. Kevy Nova

I just realized that I forgot The Ocean!

7. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

All of them 10 times, start to finish, as one single track!

8. Kevy Nova

Haha, I just noticed that my stupid computer auto-corrected "faves" to "fags!" I gotta figure out how to turn that feature off, it's already gotten me in trouble before!

9. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I'm another big led fan. It would be hard to pick a favorite because they had so many great songs. I'd agree with all the songs posted. I think my favorite might be a live version of whole lotta love. Course who doesn't love the immigrant song and then kashmir of course rocks really hard and heartbreaker has an amazing guitar riff.

Regarding stealing songs... I have to agree that what they did to those other bands was not cool at all. Kinda tarnished their image imho but no denying that they were an amazing band. Now the real question is will they ever do a reunion tour? I know Page would be a no go since he has totally lost his playing mojo over the years but we could always get a sub to fill in on guitar. I'd vote for slash to do it. I've heard him do led and he does a fantastic job with it. For drums, should not be too hard to find a good replacement. If led did do a reunion tour, I would want tickets if they weren't crazy expensive.

10. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there IS a Zep without Page - there could be no substitute; besides, Plant deems more interested in the rather old-fashioned boring music he makes with Allison Kraus, there is no Bonzo, etc.

And I agree that the plagiarism of old blues material sucked!

11. oldrockfan

hey dbb, I liked page as much as anyone back in the day but have you heard him lately??? I want want to be mean so will just say I think Slash would be a good sub if Page wasn't up to the challenge. You should check youtube, there may be some vids of slash doing led... the stuff I saw was really good.

12. Kevy Nova

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=21781.msg261171#msg261171 date=1313021472]
    hey dbb, I liked page as much as anyone back in the day but have you heard him lately???
    [/quote]

Lately? Page was one of the greats in his prime but in all honesty, his playing started to take a nosedive after 1973. By the time Bonham died (RIP), Page's chops were already dead. I bet it was related to the amount of drugs he was taking. Really sad and unfortunate.

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Kevy and Orf, I do get that Pagey has not played really been on top of his game in years (although I have not seen him play now) - my point is that even if you have a "better" guitarist (more Page than Page) like Slash, will it be still be Zep? Would it be the Who without Pete? Plus Plant is obviously reluctant to leave his happy Grammy-warm-fuzzy-country cocoon and become a butterfly again..plus can he sing any more like classic Plant than Page can play like he used to? Plus I understand John Paul Jones is less than enthusiastic to do a Zep reunion anyway.

I'm just saying, at what point would it no longer be Zep?

As you pointed out what the hell DID happen to Page? Too much coke? Too many Satanic rituals? Underage groupies?Lack of practice?

14. Kevy Nova

I actually hope that they do not do a reunion tour. Every single reunion show they've played since 1980 has ranged from mediocre to downright awful. Page can't play anymore, Plant can't sing like he used to (which is why I think he's moved on to easy listening country) and no one can replace Bonham. John Paul Jones is the only one who still has it and he can't carry the band alone. I'd like to remember them sounding as they did on Houses Of The Holy.

15. oldrockfan

I guess my age has made me more accepting of less than perfect music in a way. I'd love to hear them again and would pay good money to see it. I do agree without Page, it would not be the same just like the who without keith was not the same. I know it would be hard to make it happen but still wish it would. I think Plant would be the key thing... if he can still rock the vocals, it would feel like led to me. I don't know if he could still do it but like to think he could since he does regularly sing albeit a different genre.

So here is how it could happen... plant gets a hotshot young vocalist to help out with the more challenging parts and page gets a second guitarist to help out with the challenging guitar licks.

as for old rockers still performing: I've seen some that I think are way past time to retire but some still put on darned good shows. Three examples of older rock acts that still put on a good show are: Paul McCartney, Rush, Eagles, I could go on.

one more thing about led zeppelin songs... I got the mothership remastered combo dvd and cd pack a while back and pretty much like all the stuff on that one. A great traveling listen for in the car or play at the house. Great band and no doubt in their day they were all superstar caliber.

16. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

It would be easier to nominate a favourite album rather than a top 10.

That would be LZ II. They were still a blues/rock band then, just before stadium rock took over.

1. When the levee breaks
    2. Living loving Maid
    3. Good Times, Bad Times
    4. What is and what should never be
    5. Tangerine
    6. The Lemon Song (killing floor)
    7. Night flight
    8. Whole lotta love
    9. Heartbreaker
    10. Communication Breakdown

17. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=21781.msg261152#msg261152 date=1312986058]
    Regarding stealing songs... I have to agree that what they did to those other bands was not cool at all. Kinda tarnished their image imho but no denying that they were an amazing band. Now the real question is will they ever do a reunion tour? I know Page would be a no go since he has totally lost his playing mojo over the years but we could always get a sub to fill in on guitar. I'd vote for slash to do it. I've heard him do led and he does a fantastic job with it. For drums, should not be too hard to find a good replacement. If led did do a reunion tour, I would want tickets if they weren't crazy expensive.
    [/quote]

Great band but claiming covers as their own is not cool.

I can understand there initial need to shore up any source of payment (after all when the New Yardbirds started out, there was no guaranty they would be any more enduring then the old Yardbirds). While reuse is a blues tradition LZ weren't poor boys from Mississippi. Beatles, Rolling Stones, John Mayall & Cream all gave credit were it was due.

So I can understand but it doesn't do their legacy any credit.

This site give a bit of info on their sources http://www.warr.org/zep.html

18. TheKingOfPeng

TheKingOfPeng Member

[quote author=Moose link=topic=21781.msg261195#msg261195 date=1313111918]
    Great band but claiming covers as their own is not cool.

I can understand there initial need to shore up any source of payment (after all when the New Yardbirds started out, there was no guaranty they would be any more enduring then the old Yardbirds). While reuse is a blues tradition LZ weren't poor boys from Mississippi. Beatles, Rolling Stones, John Mayall & Cream all gave credit were it was due.

So I can understand but it doesn't do their legacy any credit.

This site give a bit of info on their sources http://www.warr.org/zep.html
    [/quote]

a great example of a band claiming cover for there own is oasis. but since there global superstars now and f'ing loaded ill let it pass lol.
    There one of my favorite bands though. not slagging them off at all.