Youtube is NOT a good resource for gear demos.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by The_Sentry, Feb 25, 2012.

1. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Member

I know this firsthand. :laugh2:

OK, seriously....I've done demos on youtube. Some of them have quite a few views. (I think the one I did on Tony Iommi's pickups has over 12000 views. If only that many people would check out one of my songs! :laugh2: )

I mean...you MIGHT get a gist. But people do amps, guitars, pickups...problem is that sound quality is rarely fantastic unless it was done in a studio, and even then...as soon as the video is uploaded compression is applied to the audio.

So no. I think it's kind of cool just to see what people DO with the gear, but youtube isn't a good resource at all as far as "this is what this piece of gear sounds like."

What's your take on this?

2. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I agree totally. And I also agree about how cover videos get thousands more plays than original videos. I have a few cover videos with ten of thousands of plays but my original songs don't even come close. Tom Petty said "It's a shame that people would rather hear Stairway to Heaven for the 1,000th time than a song they never heard before." Sad, but true.

The_Sentry likes this.
  3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Well, supposedly people "like what they know, they don't know what they like", so covers of songs they know may well draw better than originals. I have only posted originals, so I can't compare.

About gear demos:

Yes, it's hard to tell with the varying sound quality of the recordings and the sonic limitations of youtube. Still I can sometimes learn what I need to know, like when comparing Fender's Strat pickups, even though I had to wade through lots of beginners and bedroom players showing off their blues licks to find out which sound was best for me.

That said, I plan to make a bunch of demos soon. Oh well.:dunno:

4. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Same goes for "jam" sessions: same old songs week after week. Why can't people stretch their horizons a bit? :dunno:

Kevy Nova likes this.
  5. telebutcher

telebutcher Member

Agreed to both sentiments. Too many factors and limitations to make a decision about what gear sounds good or better than other gear. People do seem to confuse popularity and good well written music. I guess its because most of them just are not musicians, they are consumers looking for product they know.

6. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I watch alot of gear videos on youtube just because I really enjoy hearing different equipment but agree they can be very misleading. Some vids sound great and then the equipment is crap in person.

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Consumers of a heavily marketed product! It's amazing how much money is spent to tell people what artists, songs, styles, etc. they like. Or are supposed to like.

8. telebutcher

telebutcher Member

Big money brings big marketing and lots of other undesirable stuff. Like the old adage says, the best way to ruin anything is to throw a bunch of money at it.

9. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

like politics!:thumb::laugh2:

10. John J

John J Active Member

I think that pretty much applies to anything. I wish that just once somebody would try to ruin me by throwing a bunch of money at me.

11. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Exactly. For many people it's easy to mistake quantity for quality. As the old saying goes, "Eat ****, 50 million, billion flies can't be wrong"! :laugh2:

12. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Some Youtube demos are helpful in that I get a sense of a product, but I agree, its very limiting and you have to wade through a lot to get a good demo.

Some are just entertaining. I watch a lot of gearmanndude's demos even if its nothing I'm interested in buying.

13. telebutcher

telebutcher Member

Kipkay's hacks are entertaining. Its not gear demos, but the stuff he comes up with to make is great.