YouTube question

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by TheSandman, Mar 29, 2020.

1. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

Is it a form of online piracy, to watch YouTube videos, from people that’s uploaded music from the artist, without authorized permission?

Same for TV shows or movies, without permission from the TV company or movie company?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Yes. Plenty of them are pulled by Youtube at the request of the original artists. There is a fair use clause to cover reactions and reviews, but that normally falls well short of playing the entire video without pauses.

3. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

That’s what I have wondered. I figured it was. I’ve noticed a bunch of channels that has TV or movie clips from 10 years or longer that’s still on the site. Same with songs from albums. Some have the whole album uploaded. I’m surprised they haven’t gotten in trouble. I’ve been telling my friend that it’s wrong, to watch videos that someone uploads of artists or tv clips or movie scenes without permission, but he doesn’t think it is.

4. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

That’s basically condoning online piracy. Same as if someone gives you money to buy a car, and you knew it was illegal money, but you didn’t do the illegal activity, to get the money.

5. donepearce

Yes, but plenty of smaller acts regard it as free marketing. It really is more complicated than straight theft. Even some UK TV channels like Channel 4 have a Youtube channel where non-UK people can wath their programmes. I know they have made several syndication deals on the strength of demand from Youtube audeinces.

http://www.youtube.com/user/channel4

TheSandman likes this.
  6. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

Some companies like CD Baby upload artists' music to YouTube to add to revenue streams.

TheSandman likes this.
  7. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

It depends. I use youtube to preview albums, if I want to listen to it more than once, I buy it. If the album is out of print, I have no problem, listening to it repeatedly. The grateful Dead long allowed tradingof audience recordings, with the understanding, if it ever became an official release it was no lomger tradeable. Then they started doing limited releases, took shows out of circulation, and did not reissue, or make downloads available when the shows sold out. I have qualms about listening to those shows on youtube over and over, although most of them aren't worth it.

If the only way a TV show is available is on youtube, I have no problems. There's a lot of old shows that I've missed, that aren't for sale.

How different is watching on youtube from buying second hand?

8. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

I guess the ones I’m referring to, are the ones that you don’t have to pay to watch. The ones where everyday people upload it from their computer without authorized permission, as opposed to a company having the rights, or the company’s YouTube account uploading it.

9. donepearce

Very different. A physical recording like a CD is licensed at the point of sale. After that it is the property of whoever bought it, and they are free to pass that title on as they choose. Even if someone else now owns it, there is still only that one copy out there and it is already licensed. With software, when the new copy is created, the old one still remains, and there should now be two licenses. So the artists is denied the fee for one of them.

But most artists are wise to the fact that it is unlikely that many of the new listeners would have paid for a copy, so the best they can do is trust that the increased listenership will pay dividends in the future, either through monetized Youtube plays or even physical purchase.

TheSandman likes this.
  10. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

Pretty much summed it up right there. Question though, what if the video that a user uploads isn’t monetized?

11. donepearce

It's up to the artist to stay on top of that. If he makes a valid copyright claim to Youtube the video will be taken down.

TheSandman likes this.
  12. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

I’ve wondered how some tv clips, or movie clips, that have been uploaded by users, are still on there years and years later. It looks like the film company would’ve seen it by now.

13. donepearce

Presumably they weren't bothered. TV programmes are slightly different to music in that they are not generally for sale in the market.

TheSandman likes this.
  14. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

I’ve seen a lot of tv programs for sale, at stores and online like Amazon for example. Assuming those are the ones that would be bothered?

15. donepearce

I would imagine so.