You've been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, May 22, 2020.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

All of us here. Every SG owner on Earth - myself included - has been took, bamboozled, had, hoodwinked!

No doubt my SG is a beautiful guitar. The design, build, craftsmanship is impeccable. Worth every penny.

[​IMG]

But when we bought our SGs we all thought we would sound like Angus. Well, I don't sound like Angus and I bet you don't either. I thought when I laid my money down and bought an SG I would instantly become a rock God. My hair would grow long, I would wear denim, and killer power chords that the old folks hate would come from my SG. That didn't happen!

Our SGs with their humbuckers and demon horns were supposed to be killer rock guitars. They are not. We've been had, bamboozled, took. Led astray.

2. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Nope. Not the most remote interest in Angus. I like a few AC/DC songs, ones that feature Bon Scott, but nothing magical about Angus' tone.

I bought my SG's to sound like Tony Iommi. And don't :(

dan_vacant, hhog, Robert Nunn and 6 others like this.
  4. RW59

RW59 Member

I'm old. I grew up listening to Clapton play an SG as his primary guitar in Cream. Santana playing SG's. Allman and Betts taking turns playing their SG. Heck, I saw Hendrix play his white SG on the Dick Cavett show.

It wasn't any single one of them that made me want to play guitar -- it was all of them.

Mid '70s was a time of androgynous glam rock. Lots of bands/artists flirted and teased with hints of bisexuality.

So when I first saw a promo pic for a new band called "AC/DC" with a guitar player wearing a velvet schoolboy outfit, I kinda giggled.

When I heard them, I thought they were kinda ok. A 3 chord bar band with simple but strong guitars, a terrible singer, and juvenile senses of humor. Pretty much dismissed them until Back In Black, still not my fave band. Just my personal taste -- just saying Angus didn't inspire my love for SG's.

SG standard likes this.
  5. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Back in the mid 80s I played the part of Angus in an AC/DC tribute band in Los Angeles. It was billed as an AC/DC Tribute to Bon Scott.
    I played a 1968 SG plugged straight into a Marshall JMP 50 watt full stack.
    Guess what - I sounded like Angus!

Played to packed clubs. What blast it was!

6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

you got some photos Dave ?

Dave likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

8. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Well first off your guitar is the wrong color so small wonder you don't sound like Angus. Personally I just wanted to sound like myself. Almost there! And sometimes, when I'm on a stage, when the lights turn on and when I strike the first chord, I'm a fcking rock god.

9. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I bought an SG because I liked the shape, the feel, the position of the controls, the neck, etc. Angus had nothing to do with it. I bought a Marshall DSL because it was on sale for a ridiculously low price, and with a speaker swap I knew it would be a phenomenal and versatile amp. Angus had nothing to do with it.

Big shocker, I sound nothing like Angus. Never bothered me.

I’m not sure why the myth persists that SG players all idolize Angus, especially from users of this forum.

10. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

Everyone knows color affects tone!

dan_vacant, Westernrider and Bbr6704 like this.
  11. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Are there are any killer power chords that old folks hate? I doubt it. I think it's mostly old folks (like Angus) that play power chords these days.

Until now I thought I was the only forum member who didn't idolise Angus. Glad to hear I'm not... :)

I think part of the problem is our favourite guitar is closely associated with so few guitarists, at least in terms of career long associations. As a result, if you're into SGs, other people tend to assume you're a fan of Angus or Tony - of course, it's often a poor assumption to make. For me it was More Micky, Deke, John and a different Tony.

12. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I bought my SG to find my tone. Some days it's there. Some days it's not.

Jebuscrebus and Demon Dave like this.
  13. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Never gave a hairy rat's rear end about Angus nor his tone. Nor anyone else's tone who played an SG. (With the notable exceptions of Zappa and Oldfield.) I have an SG (1973 Standard) to sound like me, and guess what? I sound like me!!

Demon Dave and Kerry Brown like this.
  14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I wish there were a way to prove this, but I would say that Angus is responsible for more sales of SGs (or SG style guitars) than any other artist.

Folks, AC/DC is HUGE. Angus was the best thing to happen for Gibson. He's a living advertisement for the SG.

15. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

That's a very good point.

It is Angus that would be the go-to association for the SG. Sure, we all know other guys played one, but it is the length of Angus's career and he and his band's ubiquitous visual presence throughout the years that will always lead the general public to associate an SG with Angus...and thus associate the SG with hard rock.

16. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Angus, Angus, Angus....

Folks, my point for this thread really has little to do with Angus. The point is we've been had -- the SG is not the Angus rock guitar machine we had been led to believe. We have been led astray!

17. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

My association with the SG has nothing to do with Angus - I'm not an AC/DC fan and I think Angus looks effing ridiculous. It was the guitar I watched Clapton playing in the middle '60s.

Demon Dave and koaguilds like this.
  18. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Well-Known Member

ehhhh?

19. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I think I have some in the attic. Haven't seen them in decades but I'll take a look and see if I can post a couple.

20. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I agree with that statement. There’s something inextricable about the SG and Angus Young and I’m sure tons of AC/DC fans were inspired to buy one and play because of Angus.

But there are plenty of other people playing many different styles on SGs, not because they wanted to sound like Angus but because they liked the guitar. I imagine that Angus himself used the guitar because he liked it, not because he wanted to sound like someone in particular. Players of all backgrounds, from the mother of rhythm and blues, Sister Rosetta Tharpe to guitarist and vocalist Josh Scoggins of noise metal outfit “‘68” have chosen the SG as their axe of choice. Just because Les Paul didn’t like it doesn’t mean it’s not a million others’ cup of tea. :thumb: