You've been had! Ya been took! Ya been hoodwinked! Bamboozled! Led astray!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, May 22, 2020.

1. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

I have an Angus Thunderstruck SG . Don't sound like angus, don't aspire to. Also have a 61 RI. Tony is the one who initiated me to the SG. Don't really aspire to sound like him either. What it did do for me though, like all my guitars is. Make me sound like me.

Dave and koaguilds like this.
  2. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  3. DangerousD

DangerousD Member

You have been led astray. not me. Plenty of SG players that blow Angus out of the water.

SG standard likes this.
  4. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Reason I picked up an SG? Being completely honest, the Les Paul Classic in Sea Foam Green. The Classic sold (probably for the best), and then I found Gary Clark Jr. I had wanted to get my first U.S. built guitar, and my dad pointed me to a Fireburst SG. Resistant at first, I picked it up, strummed a G chord, and was blown away how resonant the guitar was. After I had gotten the SG, through a twist of fate Gary Clark Jr. started using the red ‘61 Reissue, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. And I came here, met my now good friend Didds, and learned about rock ‘n roll like church playing wouldn’t teach me.

SGs are cool guitars, no matter who played ‘em. From playing guitar for years now and having played hundreds of SGs that came through the shop, it’s up to the player to coax the sounds they want out of an SG. And, to a larger extent, all guitars. If anyone picks up a guitar thinking it will make them sound like a particular person, then they have been led astray. And that’s the truth.

Slick George, Didds and SG standard like this.
  5. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Member

When I got my first SG Standard back in 1967, I wasn't aware that Angus Young existed. I was looking for a guitar with powerful humbuckers, good high end fret access and light weight enough to wear comfortably for five or six hours a night. The Gibson SG seemed like a great combination of those requirements. Besides, i thought it looked sexy with it's long virile neck and dangerous pointy cutaways. A true rock and roll design. Not like that cumbersome heavy (old Fashion) guitar shaped Les Paul. No offense Les Paul guy's. It was just the way I thought back in the sixty's. But Jimmy Page seemed to like it so what do I know?

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Demon Dave likes this.
  6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Jimmy Page's guitar back then was a Tele

NMA likes this.
  7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

By the time I bought my first SG, in 2008
    I had heard of ACDC, but never listened to any of their music.
    I had heard of Black Sabbath but never listened to any of their
    music.

Metal isn't my thing either. So I never paid any attention to any of
    the Metallica/Judas Priest/Dimebag kind of music either.

The first artist I associated the SG with was a guy in a band that played a
    party I went to, sometime in the sixties. At that time, Les Paul guitars were
    discontinued due to lack of interest. So if a guy in a band wanted to play
    hum buckers, he could buy an SG, or an ES-335. Or a big Jazz box.
    I walked into the party and listened to the band... I wanted to be in a band
    really bad, but wasn't good enough yet. The guitarist was playing this red
    devil of a guitar, it was the coolest guitar I'd ever seen. (And the first SG I'd
    ever seen).

The band took a break, and he set his guitar on a stand, and flipped his Fender
    Deluxe to standby. I wanted that guitar, and I wanted that amp, and I wanted to
    be in a band and learn to play as well as that guy did. Standard tunes for a party
    band in those days was like: Mustang Sally, Shake yer Tail Feather, Louie louie,
    Gloria, Walk don't Run, anything by the Beatles or Stones or Animals...

The SG sounded great playing all those styles... soul, rock an roll, surf, British Invasion,
    anything. I thought that SG was the coolest. I was probably 16. I haven't changed my
    mind. Angus had nothing to do with it.

Artists I associated the SG with in the Sixties were the Doors, The Who, Big Brother and the
    Holding Company, Cream and the Grateful Dead...

Artists I associated the SG with in the Seventies were Buck Dharma, The Who, Eric Clapton
    Frank Zappa...

I still thought the SG was the coolest, because of these artists. I never listened to ACDC or
    Black Sabbath. And I still haven't changed my mind.

By the eighties & nineties I was busy gigging with my acoustic guitar and my Fender Bass. We played "singer-songwriter venues..."
    So I kind of quit paying attention to which artists played which guitars. We were developing
    our own sound, the kind that would get us gigs that we wanted,
    and the kind that would get us invited back. Angus was never a factor.

I noticed when Clapton and Pete Townshend switched to Strats. But I didn't think it mattered.
    Those guys knew what they wanted to sound like, and they can do it on any guitar they
    happen to plug in. I think that's true for any of us.

So the idea that buying a guitar like somebody
    else's will help me sound like that artist is foreign to me. I think it's a weird idea.
    My bullshit meter jumps into the red zone. So even if somebody said that to me,
    I would pay no attention.

So I was never misled. I've always known what I wanted to sound like, and I've always
    been excited to try a different guitar, and add whatever that guitar can do... to my
    repertoire of tones. That probably makes me a guitar slut. Love the one yer with, eh?
    Get intimate with multiple instruments, often in the same evening.

I bought my first SG as a gift to myself for turning 60 in 2008. Angus had nothing to do with it.
    I was restless and feeling like a fossil. That thing about getting set in your ways when
    you're older is no joke. But I thought of getting an electric guitar as a possible remedy.
    The SG was a natural choice for me. So much great music that I loved has been played
    on them. I looked at a rack full of them, and bonded instantly with the second one I
    touched. It happened to be my SG special, faded brown. By 2018 I owned 11 guitars and
    basses, but that one SG was still the Queen of my music room.

When all my dreams and plans came apart in 2019, I sold off lots of everything... I sold
    all my 'vintage" (valuable) instruments, I sold guns, I sold my boat, I sold my house, I sold
    books, tools, furniture, anything I couldn't haul across the Great Divide. But I kept my
    two SGs, and a couple excellent acoustics and one bass. I never sounded like Angus when
    I played any guitar. Don't know how. But I love the tone of both of them.
    SGs_2@100.jpg
    I own them and keep them because they are great guitars.
    There it is.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    TChalms, Corporal Scratchy and Logan like this.
  8. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Actually, it was a few weeks after seeing these guys in '78 that I bought my first SG.

BOC.jpg

9. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

You have not been had... or Hoddwinked.
    No, not even banboozled. You have been given the opportunity!

marketing work like this, and let’s assume it’s in its purest form.

Hey! Do YOU like the way Angus sounds? I thought you did! Well... did you know angus plays a Gibson SG!?

it’s not necessarily a lie. They provide you Fact and create opportunity. Are you saying Angus on your guitar would not sound like ACDC? Of course he would! And you could too!!!!

mall you are missing is:

Knowing how to play ACDC
    Angus amp
    Dedication
    Determination
    Tenacity
    Playing style
    Skill
    Capability...
    And so on...

The guitar wasn’t a lie. That is in fact what he plays. You (we) just don’t play it like he does

Logan, SG standard and Col Mustard like this.
  10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to deny that Angus Young and Tony Iommi are
    dynamic and dynamite performers. I came late to the party, and
    checked them out after I bought my first SG. Belatedly, I think
    they are pretty cool.

I'm not trying to deny that these two monstrously famous performers
    might have caused more SGs to be sold and played than any other.
    Each has toured the world, supported by millions of adoring fans.
    ...who may have gone out and bought Gibson or Epiphone SGs and
    played them with sincerity and heart. ...which is part of the soul of
    Metal IMHO.

I'm just saying that they had no effect on me.

Artists I associate the SG with in recent times are:
    Derek Trucks, Alabama Shakes, Lenny Kravitz, Samantha Fish,
    Madonna, oh and Mick Jagger
    Mick 1969.jpg
    Mick Jagger 3.jpg Mick Jagger SG 2_jurgen-lorenzen.jpg Mick Jagger with SG recent.jpg
    I know, it's only rock an roll but I like it, like it, yes I do...

SG standard likes this.
  11. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Hey Col. you missed this classic Stones shot:
    [​IMG]

Keith's SG Custom:
    [​IMG]

12. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

I can definitely get the Angus sound and the Iommi sound from my SG and I love it and have no problem being identified by it. My next fave tone is SRV and I can't get close to that with my SG. I get close to SRV with my cheap Yamaha and two of my there strats. I had to buy 8 or 9 pedals to get me there. Frist electric was an SG copy and I didn't know it. 2nd one was a great Ibanez LP copy. Then on to strats and a tele, all good. I think I have my own tone playihg my acoustics simply because I can't sound like Chet or Jimmy on acoustics. Just have fun kids and get along.

13. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Opportunity? Interesting take on this. But it is not an opportunity that Gibson is selling us, it is a lie that Gibson is selling us. The marketing line that Gibson takes is a lie.

The underlying message of a Gibson ad featuring Angus is that YOU can play like Angus, just buy his style guitar. If that were not the real message of the ad, then why not have a picture of the drummer in the ad and not Angus?

We have been bamboozled, hoodwinked, had. We buy our SGs thinking we could be Angus (or Derek Trucks or Clapton or Santana or whatever star Gibson advertised). Gibson has led us astray. I DO NOT SOUND LIKE ANGUS! I was bamboozled, hoodwinked, took, led astray! And so were you!

14. geetaruke

geetaruke New Member

I agree.

Gibson has misled me.

F Gibson.

Dave likes this.
  15. donepearce

Well, now we have discovered that marketing and advertising are about aspiration, not reality, what can we do? All those night shifts buying useless junk from shopping channels can't possibly be at an end, surely?

16. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I didn't buy an SG because I wanted to play the same guitar as someone else. I bought an SG in the pointy guitar era of the 80s because it was the only 'name brand' guitar I could afford, a 25 year old SG.

I learned to love SGs from how they feel and how they sound. It was a marriage of convenience that blossomed into true love.

Col Mustard likes this.
  17. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Let's fight the fight!
    See you at the barricades, my man.

18. Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote Member

I’m pretty sure Angus and Tony put custom pickups in their guitars, Tony Iommi had p90s also....I think they were multiple thousand dollar pickups....so to be a rock god will cost more than a $900 guitar. Custom pickups, talent and decades of experience and practice are required...

19. donepearce

Multi-thousand? Every pickup is the same - a magnet and some wire. There is no reason for a price to go over $100, even for a one-off.

Dave likes this.
  20. Todd Westfall

Todd Westfall New Member

As a child of 12, I bought my first copy of Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore. On the back cover, lower left-hand corner is a picture of Steve Marriot playing a white SG. I assume that was Frampton's Custom. Right there and then I fell in love with the SG. Jerry Garcia playing his 1968 SG Standard in 1969 into 1970 sealed the deal for me.

SG standard likes this.