Zero fret adjustable nut

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Robert Morris, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Robert Morris

Robert Morris Member

Just wanted some opinions on these adjustable nuts. I bought a Les Paul junior that should be here Thursday that has one. Seems like it would be a good idea to be able to adjust the nut height rather than having to cut a new one. I see a lot of people replace them with bone. The junior is a 2015 in yellow with all the case candy and ohsc. All stock except for Grover tuners (orig G-Force system included). It seems like people don’t like these juniors, but for $660. Shipped I couldn’t resist. I’ll post pics when it arrives. Thanks

papagayo and Chubbles like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of this technology. I have 3 gibsons 1 sg standard hp and two lp studio hp models.

The very early hp models used a brass zero fret but that was quickly replaced by titanium. If yours come with brass gibson will replace free.

I wont buy a gibson that doesnt have one but hate the robotuners!

930F6E50-CAF6-4654-B91C-02F66C309724.jpeg

3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Heres a pic of my lp studio hp tribute with the zero fret ...

C25C03BD-EC52-4425-B201-1B70A425C055.jpeg

4. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

I think its amazing. If your nut height is bad you can just raise or lower it meaning even idiots like myself can do it without having to take the guitar to a luthier. That being said, I know the looks of it aren't exactly everyones cup of tea. I happen to love the way the brass one on my 2015 Standard looks

5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Adjustable nut is great, I use this TUSQ on my 2015 SG, awesome

[​IMG]

Robert Morris and PixMix like this.
  6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Just have an actual zero fret, the same as all the others. That way you don't have to worry about height - it just gets levelled exactly the same as every other fret. The nut can then do the simple job of string spacing. That is what I did with my custom Tele.

7. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

First of all, the Les Paul Junior is a classic design that has lots of fans, and that always
    has had lots of fans. That's why they are still making them... people buy them and play
    some awesome music on them. Congratulations on making an excellent choice of guitar.

Gibson's original idea for the design was an "entry level" guitar that would get new
    players hooked on Gibson and they would buy a full blown Les Paul later, for bigger money.

This marketeering strategy worked, and Gibson fans are mostly loyal. But lots of excellent
    guitar players decided that the simplicity of the "entry level" guitar made a lot of sense
    ...keep it simple, stupid... Play that with a punk vibe... repeat PRN...

The LP Junior is the opposite of the guitar that has too many options and features
    to be practical. Kind of like the Fender Precision Bass. Years ago
    simple guitars and basses were dissed as "one trick ponies" by the bells and whistles
    crowd. But now, with all of the modeling features available to the player, and with all the
    improvements in the modeling technology, the simple guitar or bass comes into its own
    and gives up very little. Stomp a pedal and add new dimensions to your tone. *grins

The Gibson 2015 guitar fiasco came about because they were too arrogant to offer
    their cool innovations as options. They were like, Love it or Shove it.
    They made the 2015s with a slightly wider fingerboard
    and the zero fret nut, and the robot tuners. AND the 2015 price increase, which absolutely
    killed them. So the 2015 models were roundly rejected by players on many fora, and
    for mostly bogus reasons, driven by the closed minds of the most outspoken OPs.

Me, I thought the wider neck was interesting (it was a very small increase, which actually
    works very well)... and I've always been intrigued by the robot tuner concept, although
    not intrigued enough to buy one. AND I thought the zero fret nut was a great idea, and
    an excellent innovation. Gibson's mistake with these was to make the stock part out of
    brass, which was too soft to stand up to rock an roll. So they wore out too quickly and
    acquired a bad reputation. Gibson ate crow, and came up with a replacement part made
    of titanium which works great, and they offered these to anyone who had purchased one
    of the 2015s new. By the time they got their act together on this, replacement nuts had
    been developed by tusq (as shown above) and players had begun taking their Gibsons
    to Luthiers, who usually prefer to work with bone. And for good reasons.

So the buyer of a 2015 Gibson now has a lot of choices for improving their guitars.
    Buy one on the used market, and that unplugs the PRICE INCREASE...
    Get a tusq nut and it's easy to install and you get all the advantages and none of the
    drawbacks... cool. The zero fret arrangement has a lot of advantages.
    If you have a decent set of tuners to replace the durn robot and you got your '15
    for a decent price, you are gold IMHO.

8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]