Zoom H!, H2, or something else?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Super fuzz, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Super fuzz

Super fuzz Member

Hi everyone. I've been poking around the internet for a couple of weeks trying to decide on the best way to record my guitar amp.

Here is what I think I know: I can place some sort of mic in front of the cab, run that to some sort of audio interface, and then finally into my computer to record. Is that just about the gist of it?

Or, I could get a Zoom H1, H2, or whatever, which saves the recording as a wav or mp3 on an internal memory card and save that file to my computer.

Recording with the Zoom, or some equivalent, seems like the easiest option to me at this point, but most people seem to use the other option. What am I missing here?

I should point out that I am not looking to use any form of modelling. I want to record the sound coming out of the speaker cabinet.

2. Notes69

Notes69 Active Member

My band mate records every session with a zoom.(sorry, can't remember the model).
    He sets it up, does a quick mic check and away we go.

We listen to it on the way home, than he burns a CD from it. It sounds really good. We have thousands of hours of recording. (Many of which I would like destroyed)

Sorry I don't have specifics, but it seems very simple, sounds great, and he got it used for a good price on ebay. If he didn't have one, I'd now get one.

zisme likes this.
  3. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i record a lot of my band's practice sessions and gigs with a zoom q2hd. it's a video recorder, but i really only use it for the audio - which i extract with audacity. the sound quality is great. the microphone has a built-in attenuator that prevents clipping, so high volume is no issue. it drains batteries like crazy though, so i always use the usb cord with a power adapter.

i have also used it to mic my amps at home for rough reference clips. it's not the most sophisticated method for home recording, but it does the trick in a bind.

there are all kinds of mic and d/i interface routes you could go for home recording. i haven't had the time or the motivation to dive into that stuff yet.

but for recording a live practice/performance, the zoom handy recorders are a great option

4. Super fuzz

Super fuzz Member

Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure how for down this path I really wanna go at this point, so I think a Zoom H1 or something similar is the direction I am heading.

Guitar is only a hobby for me, but sometimes I want to record something and share with friends. There are also those times when I feel like my playing is going nowhere and I want to be able to listen to some old recordings and say to myself "Geez, at least I don't suck like that anymore!"

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

That right there is reason enough to get one.

But then what if ...

6. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

I'd use a Shure SM57, small mixer and a USB interface - but I've been spoiled by playing with PA gear when I was younger :smile:

For the price, the Zoom recorders look pretty good and it's self contained too. Maybe find a store that would let you record some guitar on one and check the playback quality is what you'd be happy with?

Good luck on the search for a recorder!

Bob

7. Super fuzz

Super fuzz Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. I ordered a used Zoom H2 online. It was a little cheaper than a new H1. It should get here later this week. I'll report back here after I've had a few days to try it out.

I won't rule out a setup like Scootermuppet described at some point in the future, but I think (hope) the Zoom will fit my needs for the moment.

8. Super fuzz

Super fuzz Member

Hi everyone. I've used the H2 for a few days now and I think it does a great job of capturing the sound of my amp. Now, if only I could get my fingers to make the sounds I wanna hear! :rofl:

Seriously though, it was eye opening for me to hear my own playing, both the good and the bad. I think it will make me a much better guitar player.

I'll probably go all in on a better setup (mics, audio interface, etc.) at some point, but for now I'm pretty happy with it.

Scootermuppet and zisme like this.
  9. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

If you want to sound better, get the talent pack plug in.:D

A coworker borrowed my older H4 and went out on sick leave a couple of days later never to return. Thing is, I don't really miss it. Too complicated to use and the orange and black screen kinda sucked.

I have been leaning towards an H2 my self as well as the H5 and there is another brand which I cant remember that has a touch screen which I kinda liked better than the Zoom stuff.

Wish I was more help. I guess I'm in the same boat as you are.:(

Scootermuppet likes this.
  10. Scootermuppet

We use a Rode NT-1 (USB Condenser mic) at work for video voice over narration, so I will borrow it and see if that does the trick for cab recording - they're surpringly reasonably priced too, around £130 new, and £85 is used....

No interface needed, it just plugs in to a USB port!

11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

This is my pedal board. Works wonders.

[​IMG]
    That, or get the all in one TB-4

[​IMG]

Scootermuppet likes this.
  12. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

I asked my music teacher about the TB-4 and he mumbled some nonsense about practicing more. I said what? Why would I do that? Needless to say I'm looking for a new music teacher that has a clue........

We all know about Mr. JImi using the Arbiter Fuzz Face but a little known fact is that he used a predecssor of the TB-4 called the Talent Tater. It never caught on because people were put off by the name and Tater Electronics went out of business.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  13. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

Pulled the trigger on the H-5 today. I really like that the transport control is buttons instead of menu items and the general ease of use compared to the H-2.

My goal is to be able to record tracks and import them into a DAW app and then record more tracks, import them and I think but I'm not sure, that I can use quantization to clean up the timing.

My thought is that you should be able to import as many tracks as you want from the 2 track H-5 and be able to edit them individually before mix down with the included software. Is this doable?

It comes with Cubase LE and WaveLab LE that you download and I'm trying to figure out what each of those programs do and what their limitations are.

Definitely baby step here..........

14. Scootermuppet

You should be able to use the H5 as an audio interface & mic and record with it direct in to your DAW (Cubase LE should be fine) would save transferring files...?

Unless you are recording away from the computer, then you could transfer the files.

There should be an audio interface mode on it, hopefully the manual will tell all :smile:

15. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

I'm probably over thinking this some. I saw the interface setting and somehow assumed that if it didn't save to the H-5 any sound settings on the H-5 would be lost if you went straight into Cubase.

Something else that has me baffled is how do you record in MP3 instead of wave files? All the manual did for figuring this out just confused the hell out of me.

16. Scootermuppet

Good question, not familiar enough with the H5 I'm afraid...

I'm pretty sure wav files are standard for recording on the H5, and importing in to a DAW...

Once you've recorded several tracks and mixed them, you'll u can export the final mix as an mp3...?