‘61 and ‘62 Custom shop reissues. Differences?

One-Wan

Reaction score
Gday folks.
I’m on the hunt for a ‘61 custom shop SG Les Paul Standard. While I’ve been researching these I’ve seen some ‘62 reissues come up too. From what I’ve seen ‘61 has the thin 60’s taper and the ‘ 62 has the more classic ‘50’s C shape neck. Is that right?

To add confusion, I’m enquiringly about a ‘61 CS RI locally and the owner says it has a 50’s C shaped (fuller) neck?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers, Scott.

Didds

Reaction score
You do mean a reissue right? If not, good luck finding one here in Australia. They'd all be in museums!

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Yes he means reissues. Reverb has a lot of SG’s from memory. Could find some info from ones on sale.

One-Wan

Reaction score
Yeah I mean reissues. Reverb only adds to the confusion. I’ve seen both on there with contradicting specs.

Cheers, Scott.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
No two necks feel exactly the same because the final sanding at the factory is done by hand. For example, I have two SG that are same year and model with the chunkier SG Rounded profile, but have a different feel to the shoulder of the neck carve.

In the past I wanted the neck profiles on my guitars to be identical, but it took some time for me to realize that I needed to quit comparing them to each other and appreciate each guitar for what it is. The hand adapts to different necks without thinking about it.

I'm not suggesting to search for SG with the chunkier SG Rounded profile if you prefer the Slim Taper. But even after narrowing it down to one or the other profile, it's still a good idea to try before you buy.

Many online postings of used guitars do not include the neck profile description and when you do ask for it, the seller either doesn't know or guesses the "incorrect" one.

Last edited:

Latest posts