‘61 Reissue Temptation

Greg Connor

Reaction score
I noticed a used 61 Reissue for sale locally. I REALLY don’t need another guitar, but it’s such a pretty thing, I need to at least try to justify it.

What are the differences between a ‘61 Reissue and a Standard?
57 Classic PICKUPS vs 490’s. What else?

papagayo

Reaction score
Somebody made a good thread called "Standard vs '61 Ri".
Bodies are different (bevels) , neck profile is slim taper on the '61 RI, etc...

kongssund

Reaction score
I can`t find any good reasons to tell you "not to buy it". Sorry. It seems by all calculations, the only logical thing is to buy it :smile:

Norton

Reaction score
big difference in neck profiles.

1 piece body on nearly every year of the 61 reissue. but the neck, body bevels, abr1 and pickups are the big ones.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Early years have ABR-1.
Later years have Nashville.

I’m indifferent about type of bridge, bevels, wider headstock, etc.

Neck profile/shape is deciding factor for me when choosing a guitar.

Had a 2009 SG '61 RI in the past and could not get along with the thin neck that was flat on the backside.

Last edited:

Norton

Reaction score
Interesting. I would have never described the "generic average" 61 reissue profile as Flat

I've modeled necks from a '62 reissue. profiler gauges and molds etc. They feel wide and thin but there weren't any flat spots on the spine. Nothing like the epiphone D shape.

To me that profile is kind of magic. Different strokes for different folks.

And more guitars. they're all good for something.

Greg Connor

Reaction score
This ‘61 Reissue was made in 2011. It’s fun to think about providing a new home, but I have 4 SGs already, no reissues though.

Beery Swine

Reaction score
I noticed a used 61 Reissue for sale locally. I REALLY don’t need another guitar, but it’s such a pretty thing, I need to at least try to justify it.

What are the differences between a ‘61 Reissue and a Standard?
57 Classic PICKUPS vs 490’s. What else?
I have no advice on what you should do in terms of a guitar purchase, since you say you really don't need another one, and I can't tell you the differences between the pickups, but as the new proud owner of a used 2007 '61 SG, I can tell you that the '57s are absolutely amazing. I really, REALLY didn't expect to like these pups as much as my PRS McCarty pickups, but damned if that's not my first impression after about an hour's play. I might even like them more, idk, I'll have to do a lot of testing.
About 7 years ago I played another guitar at a shop with '57s, an Epi LP Tribute, and was similarly blown away with the tone. I couldn't remember exactly what they sounded like, but I DEFINITELY remember the feeling I had while playing that guitar. Like, wow, is there any style of music these pups don't sound great for? Finally, I now have the chance to test this out at my leisure.
YOU WILL LOVE THOSE PICKUPS

Greg Connor

Reaction score
The ‘57s would be the main reason to buy the Reissue. I have a Kirk Douglas SG with three 57s. Every time I play the guitar I’m reminded how great they sound
full

Greg Connor

Reaction score
Great idea! I’ve thought about doing that for quite a while. It certainly would be cheaper.

By the way, my SG Special is a Walnut gloss finish. The same color as the SG I had as a kid.

Latest posts