“New” Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Aug 19, 2021.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

“Tony Iommi's iconic riffs, heavy tones, and massively influential albums created the blueprint for heavy metal and many other genres to follow. His career, like the man himself, is universally loved and revered. And while his innovative tuning and playing styles were a major part of his monstrous tones, a heavily-modified 1964 Gibson SG was at the center of it all. Now Gibson USA has made a guitar based on the iconic original that launched countless heavy riffs, with a mahogany body, bound mahogany neck with a rounded profile, Indian rosewood fretboard with 22 frets, a Graph Tech® nut, Grover® Rotomatic® tuners with contemporary style buttons, and chrome-covered P-90 pickups. A reproduction of Tony's "Monkey" sticker is included in the case. A left-handed version is also available."
    $2399

[​IMG]

AC 30, fos1, Mwltsg and 1 other person like this.
  2. pancake81

Love the man love the riffs. Don’t know enough about the guitar to really comment. If I recall there was a Custom Shop model a few years back that fetch $10’s of thousands of dollars.

this seems perhaps to be the USA line version. Must have been good demand for the model to release a second USA line.

interesting with the Angus model they released three versions at once. A USA model, a CS VOS and a CS aged and signed. It’s great to see some more models released for those fans that are begging for one. Two issues there of course l. Production numbers / availability, and cost.

This one has a estimated retail price of $2399 US. Still pricey

ruster1, lawrev and Rusty Chops like this.
  3. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

Did the CS have Celtic cross inlays up the fingerboard?
    Vague remembrance

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

No, and neither did the original "Monkey" SG Special. The cross inlays were only used on his SG Standards later on.

PermissionToLand and Rusty Chops like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

I'd trade my cherry SG Classic in for one of those regular production Iommi SG Specials, but the neck binding tint is a deal breaker.

Not sure what tint that neck binding is pictured below, but it's the same tint they have been using for a long time now, except for the 2017-18 models. It's not just the regular production guitars, but also on the CS models. It really clashes with the nut and finish. Very distracting to the point I've have to pass on many guitars that were otherwise perfect.

[​IMG]

Had a '63 and '69 SG Special in the past and the binding was not like that pictured above. Neither are the SG Classics, yet all the SG Standards from the same era of the SG Classics (mid 2000's) have that same binding as above.

Pictured below, 2004 and 2006 SG Classics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  6. MR D

MR D Active Member

These should sell massively.GIBSON is great at smelling $$$$$.The $20,000.00+ Custom Shop 'MONKEY''s sold out quickly, Cha-Ching !

IDK tho....Think I'd rather put my own stamp on my own SG Standard. Then again, these days investing in Guitars could be a better bet than watching $$$ lose value sitting in a Bank Account. HHMMM.....

7. pancake81

Depending on what productions are, this could be a great investment. If the keep it under 500 it would be a winner. I can’t tell if Iommi personally Signed the guitars or if it’s silk screen.

lawrev likes this.
  8. pancake81

There are thousands of the original Angus Young Sig, the one with the lyre. They have over doubled in price. $4500 for a well played one.

9. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

The signature looks like either a silk screen or decal to me. If Iommi's hands touched these guitars, I bet they'd be priced a little closer to that $20K mark from the previous Custom Shop version.

10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Already added to the Iommi SG wiki page:

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Tony_Iommi_Signature_Models

Almost certainly a silk screen. Hand-signing is generally for Custom Shop models.

I wouldn't consider any guitar an investment. It's very rare and unpredictable what may actually increase in value beyond that of inflation (something many don't consider). The CS model was priced at $20k so I can't imagine anyone would pay more than that when a real '60s SG can be had for less. Whereas this USA model likely won't be rare enough to appreciate in value, and is already priced fairly high at $1,000 more than a regular USA SG Special.

Anybody asking that price is out of their mind. Reverb's price guide put those models at $1,700 - $2,400:

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/736-gibson-angus-young-sg-2005-cherry

11. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

$2399 US

:rofl:

12. fos1

fos1 Active Member

I would definitely like to have one. Don't care much about investments, I would just like one to play.

JimH likes this.
  13. pancake81

Should have stated I am referring to Canadian dollars. But given your numbers provided those are off what folks are currently asking for AND paying. If you find an example of one going for $1700-2000 US, post it up.

for what ever reason they seem scarce to even locate these days. I check reverb weekly, And there might only be 1-2 angus models on there. One being the CS with a $46,000 tag.

This is currently the only AY original model listed.

Gibson SG Angus Young Signature (First Model Issued)
    https://reverb.com/item/43390444-gi...are&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=43390444

14. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Reverb's price guide is an average of all selling prices on their website. What you've posted is an asking price. That's also a listing in Spain, and we know that American guitars sell for a premium outside the contiguous Americas/Canada.

That said, I found a more comprehensive price guide covering the full production run of the first AY signature and the average prices are higher, although still not near $5,000.

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-angus-young-sg-2000-2009

While the first page with the most recent sales is around $3,000 on average, as recently as 2020 you can see several selling for around $1,800 in "very good" to "excellent" condition. Yeah, you can point out the one sucker who paid $5,900 for one, but that doesn't reflect the real value; it's an outlier. On the flip side, one sold for $1,100 in 2016 in "excellent" condition and another for $1,335 in 2019 in "good" condition. Those are outliers in the other direction.

Asking prices will always be higher on average than the real value though, as it's in sellers' interest to do so. My thing is; the more you play into that and treat their asking prices as if they are the actual or reasonable value of the instrument, the more it artificially inflates prices.

Ironically, they aren't really that rare; they were regular production USA models for nearly a decade straight. They also aren't that special; they're just a Standard with a vibrola and darker cherry finish (and those weird Angus pickups that are nothing like what he uses). But people really hold on to them because (IMO) those small changes do make for a very handsome result and it's got Angus' star power attached. But they were already pretty pricey for what you got right out of the gate. They cost more than a '61 RI with none of that guitar's major upgrades except a '57 classic in the neck and the vibrola. I'd say a fair price for them IMO is around what they sold for new; $1,800-2,000. But markets are rarely logical. The demand is high and people hang on to them, so I don't think it's that unreasonable going up to $2,500. Beyond that, you're in used Custom Shop territory. Obviously some people are willing to pay $3,000 and upwards, but frankly IMO they are suckers. That's literally the territory of a real vintage 1969 SG which these are only half-assedly mimicking.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  15. JimH

JimH New Member

Does anyone know if a regular lightning bolt wraparound bridge would be a drop-in replacement for that adjustable thing these are shipping with?

16. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

IDK why T.I. only dragged 'OLD BOY' out for one song, one particular night ('04/5 Jones Beach?) but 'OLD BOY' sounded so much better/heavier than the sorta Candy Apple Red SG Custom(?) he played the rest of the show with. I just did not get why he didn't play the entire show with OLD-BOY.I was so close to OLD BOY before hand/during, If I had lost my mind temporarily, I could have picked it up......but did not.

The sorta Candy Apple red SG T.I. played the entire show with was one of the sharpest guitars I've ever seen (really an "I am not worthy" type) but OLD BOY, as Beat To **** looking as it is, was WOW so much heavier sounding, it wasn't even close, IMO.....when T.I.plugged 'OLD BOY' in for the encore 'Black Sabbath' the Compressor(?) started ringing immediately and it took half the song to correct the ringing...This one particular sorta Candy Apple Red SG had 'Tony Iommi' written in script on the headstock, and imma pretty sure it is not a Jay-Dee SG, but a GIBSON Custom SG, BUT IDK 4 sure...... and the last time I looked at Sabbath's website I did not see it, its been a while and the photo's there are not the greatest up close shots.

Anyone else seen this sorta Candy Apple red SG? a Jay-Dee or is it a GIBSON CUSTOM ? Year? Specs.? ya just cant miss the signature.

pancake81 likes this.
  17. cerebral gasket

1963 SG Special that I had in the past.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  18. pancake81

What you don’t realize if what a special treat you got to see “Old Boy” live. In 2015 this is what he had to say about his beloved guitar, and the fact that it will no longer come on the road with him again.

19. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

The original Gibson Custom Shop run from 2000-2003 was released in Ebony and Wine Red. Are you referring to one of those? The specs can be found here:
    https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Tony_Iommi_Signature_Models

I know that Tony has received a few "New" Old Boys from Jaydee in the past few years, to step in for the retired original. It probably wasn't one of these though, if it sounded so different.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  20. Jumpin Joe

Jumpin Joe Member

OH, I knew what I was looking at as soon as I saw it in the stand just behind the Laney Amps. IF T.I. ever tours with it again remains to be seen and as far as people have heard T.I. isn't planning on touring any more anyway. I have close up shots of the Guitar T.I. played on the farewell tour..... and if I can get this website to upload it, I will...IIRC, it was a Black SG Standard w/Cross In-Lays...
    BUT I tell ya, 'OLD BOY', IMO, just MIGHT be the heaviest sounding SG (or maybe even the heaviest sounding GIBSON period!) I have ever heard and after that show I had a chance to say something directly to Tony himself, but I clammed up as the hired help isn't suppossed to talk to the 'STARS', FFS if I had to do it again...UGH !
    as to why Tony Iommi only dragged 'OLD BOY' out for that one song, beats the **** out of me...BUT it sounded , well, HOLY **** AWESOME !.