“New” Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Aug 19, 2021.

1. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yo Mr Gasket, Thanks to the close up pics above, IDK 4 sure but are the height adjustment screws the screws w/Philipps head between the A & D, G & B pole pieces? if that isn't them IDK where they are

2. MR D

MR D Active Member

CG, I saw your comments about the SG Classic being your favourite, so considering buying one as I'ver never played one. REVERB's offering's are close to double what they went for new ($950 all-in?) @ $1400 + Tax + Shipping.....seems a bit steep, not outrageous, but at those prices I might just wait, see if GIBSON issues a new one...If I do get one, the only think I might change is the TM Buttons as those make it look like a Melody Maker.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yes.

[​IMG]

4. cerebral gasket

After spending some time playing the Iommi SG Special, the SG Classics are still my favorite ones to play. They feel thicker at the horns when resting against the chest while playing. The Iommi SG Special feels thin. Maybe I just prefer chunky guitars all the way around.

[​IMG]

Not a fan of those stock tuner buttons on the SG Classic. I've changed the tuners out on mine to the Grover 135N which are a direct replacement, but with keystone buttons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  5. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Hey D.,
    Yeah, the aftermarket on the aught Classics is starting to climb. I was lucky to find mine on Reverb for about $850 a couple of years ago. I doubt Gibson USA is going to revisit the line anytime soon, so if you want a USA just keep hunting on Reverb for someone who is motivated to sell, it happens. Also, look for people who have the "make an offer" button. Someone who lists for $1200, might come down to $1000, but again it depends on how motivated to seller is.

On the other hand, Epiphone has a current line of the worn finish Classics in production right now. Epiphone's reputation is pretty good right now, so you could get a solid guitar and maybe just upgrade the pickups?

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPI9YL50/SG-Classic-Worn-P-90s/Worn-Cherry

Uh oh, 60s slim taper neck...won't get cg's stamp of approval there.

6. cerebral gasket

I saw an SG Classic for sale locally where someone routed it for Humbuckers. Looks so clean with bound neck and dots, blank headstock with logo only. That's one of the reasons I have always preferred SG Specials, minimal aesthetics with a chunky rounded neck.

[​IMG]

papagayo and GuitarJedi like this.
  7. MR D

MR D Active Member

WOW, the SG CLASSIC has the Iommi 'Monkey' SG beat? HOLY $#!T !!! Coming from you CG that is high praise ! I was actually thinking of getting a 'Monkey' myself....you guys are all getting them and reporting that they are outstanding, so, I figure, they have to be the $#!T ! I'm headin out to a Guitar Center in a few, if they've got either a used 'Classic' or a 'Monkey' its comin home with me !

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. MR D

MR D Active Member

Right, Slim-Tapers, oh well.....I do not mind them so much actually, if the rest of the guitar is what I'm after. when I do get one I make sure the Relief is open enough to not Kink up the binding.....say .004" @ 9th Fret.....
    Yeah, you can never tell what GIBSON is going to do next...it might be a decade and half before the SG Classic comes around.

9. cerebral gasket

The Iommi SG Special is based on a 1964 SG Special with small guard, so those have the body taper to a thinner profile at the horns.

The SG Classic is based on a late 1960's SG Special with batwing, so the body is thicker at the horns on those.

I enjoy playing both guitars, but gravitate towards the SG Classic.

Highly doubtful they will reissue the SG Classic. If they did, it would be ideal if it had a lightning bar wraparound bridge instead of TOM and tailpiece. That just looks cluttered on that guitar. It functions fine, but a lightning wraparound does the same job and makes for a cleaner appearance IMO.

10. MR D

MR D Active Member

WOWO ! Necks with dots AND Bindings ! U kno, those are the little things they get me every time (Ebony Board, then I am really, Holy Shizzle, jelly !)....not drastic departures from the tried and true...just something a li'l different to make the guitar a bit on the really Cool to the Coolest side of things... The Black one looks like the dog-eared P-90 but cant be sure as its kinda hard to tell w/the Black on Black.
    Really Cool lookin tho, bet the slay !Turn it up !! Hot-Dang !
    When GIBSON says 'Compensated' do they mean the 'Saddles' ? I realize they aren't saddles but the ridges on the top of the bar. I figure they are there so as to not have to mount the Stop-Bar/Bridge on an angle ? IDK, but I bet you do CG, yes ?

11. cerebral gasket

https://www.everythingsg.com/threads/wraparound-tailpiece-questions.38166/

12. cerebral gasket

After spending more time playing the new fiddle, I think i've come to the conclusion that I don’t care for the Badass clone bridge.

Something about it just feels off.

Maybe it’s the pre-notched saddles. They are all the same size. The treble strings sit too low in the saddles. Makes it more difficult for subtle palm muting.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

A luthier could deepen the bass saddle grooves for you.

14. cerebral gasket

I’m thinking maybe have all the saddles replaced and re-notched for the correct string size would help.

Other than the bridge, it’s a really nice guitar and I enjoy playing it.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  15. DKTallica

DKTallica New Member

Good review. The p90s say iommi p90 on them when he takes them out. Also the run a bit hotter. I am convinced they are not standard Gibson p90s based on how mine sounds. So this makes sense. The neck and the p90 sound is why I love this guitar. I love a fat neck. And as a lefty it’s hard to find an sg special with a fat neck. Legit exactly what I’ve been looking for.

16. cerebral gasket

The P-90's on these are indeed hot.
    Very crunchy and articulate when tuned to C#.
    "Into the Void" sounds awesome on this guitar.

17. DKTallica

DKTallica New Member

Any iommi SG owners measure output on the pickups? I am noticing the neck seems a bit more powerful than bridge. I mean I am living at the neck. Switching to bridge with both at max volume almost seems a step down in output.

18. cerebral gasket

Neck: 7.95 k
    Bridge: 7.99 k

DCR is not an indicator of pup output.

Have you tried adjusting the pup height and/or pole piece screws?

19. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Active Member

I just got a replacement, the first one had some bad QC stuff. But this one is an amazing guitar, terrific sounding and some really cool grain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JimH, AC 30, PermissionToLand and 3 others like this.
  20. cerebral gasket

^
    I really like the grain on that one!

SGBreadfan likes this.