“New” Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Spiral

Spiral Active Member

That's a great looking guitar.

I'm 50/50 on the monkey sticker. With or without it, it's badass.

An Abiding Dude and pancake81 like this.
  2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I agree. Without the sticker it’s just a “bad ass” (pun intended) SG. With the sticker it dedicated signature mode

An Abiding Dude likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    Chunky rounded neck and the neck binding does not appear to be pink from what I can see in the photos. It actually looks like a proper aged cream color. I cannot tolerate pink neck binding.

The Leo Quan Badass style bridge is awesome too. Some folks don't like that bridge, but I had no problems with the one on my 1969 SG Special in the past.

I think your post may have convinced me to order one for myself.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  4. pancake81

Friggin Boom!! Keep us posted

5. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Some more detail shots. As you can see they set the pickups with the pole pieces way extended from the body of the pickup cover. I don't have a multimeter to take readings, but they definitely run hot. Now that I've had a chance to play it through an amp at a decent volume, the lower strings do tend to get splatty/farty played clean. Of course it is not really noticeable when you run overdrive or distortion. I'm thinking I'll have my luthier lower the poles to try and tame that or maybe just lower the pickup height a bit. I'm hoping that the tool marks at the nut can be buffed out with some #0000 steel wool and cleared up with some fretboard conditioner. Another QC problem I've found is the neck volume control essentially doesn't work. You turn it all the way down and the volume sounds like it is at 7 or 8. The Bridge volume control works fine. So with both volume knobs turned to zero the bridge is silent, the middle position is silent, but the neck position is still live. Ah, Gibson, I thought we were past this kind of stuff with the new regime in place.
    IMG_0583.jpeg IMG_0584.jpeg IMG_0585.jpeg IMG_0586.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  6. cerebral gasket

I’m so stoked that binding is actually a bone or cream color and not pink. A chunky rounded neck on an SG Special with P-90’s and wraparound is what I have been waiting for.

pancake81 and Rusty Chops like this.
  7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    pancake81 likes this.
  8. pancake81

@Thedude
    i liked your post but not because I think that’s great workmanship. Super sorry to hear there are some sub par attributes. In today’s times with today’s prices we expect more. Perfection is unachievable , but that doesn’t mean we cant come close.

I am wondering if the pole pieces are similar to what Iommi has or if that is truly part of HIS sound on HIS guitar that Gibson thought it was crucial to replicate…?

The volume pot not functioning is the kicker to me. Do pots come bad in our current age. Maybe…? Should electronics (pots etc) be run through their own QC before Gibson receives a metric ton of them in a container. But that should be double checked through Gibsons own QC when completing the inspection on each individual guitar.

9. An Abiding Dude

I took it to my luthier yesterday for a set up. Lowered the pole pieces as much as the pickups would allow (and for some reason there wasn't a terrible amount of adjustment room) and it really cleaned up the tone when playing clean. The volume pot was good, someone forgot to ground it. My guitar doc took out his trusty soldering iron and fixed it in a jiffy. Cleaned the glue off at the nut and now she a beaut with fully functioning controls.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

Got a new fiddle today.

[​IMG]

11. pancake81

Ha!! The fiddle comment has never been more appropriate. What’s you initial thoughts CG?

12. cerebral gasket

The SG Classics were my favorite version of the SG Special until now.

Now this one is my favorite.

The Iommi SG Special blurs the line between a USA and CS model. They did a really nice job on this one. It plays perfect right out of the box. The neck profile is exactly how I hoped it would be. Rounded with just the right amount of girth to it to fill the hand without causing fatigue from extended playing sessions.

Every detail on this one is really nice the way they put it together.

I really like the Grover tuners with Schaller style buttons, the Leo Quan Badass bridge without the set screws sticking out the backside, the Witch Hat knobs without pointers, chrome pup covers with the funky rings. The whole ensemble of parts looks really clean because they modelled it after a modified guitar, but built it real clean without extra screw and post holes or any pretentious relicing.

Rusty Chops, skelt101 and pancake81 like this.
  13. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

That's how I have the P90s set up in my Special. :dude:

14. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

What pickup do you plan to put in the bridge position, cg? IIRC, you prefer humbuckers there... I'm curious about the Mojotone Quiet Coils:
    https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-56-Quiet-Coil-P-90-Soapbar-Pickup
    https://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Hot-Quiet-Coil-P-90-Soapbar-Pickup

15. cerebral gasket

I like the Kinman Hx Nasty 90 Heavy in the bridge on my SG Classics, so I was planning on installing one with a chrome cover in the bridge position of the Iommi SG Special so that it retains the stock appearance.

Now that I have the guitar in hand, I changed my mind and plan to leave this one bone stock. It's the nicest Gibson I've ever had. The stock P-90's are really hot and sound great to my ears. It's such a treat to play.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Rusty Chops likes this.
  16. cerebral gasket

Same here.
    I set my neck position like that.
    They sound more articulate, less boomy at the neck.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  17. An Abiding Dude

Congrats, CG. It is a great feeling guitar and felt the same way about my Classic. Something about those fat necks, but I also dig the '61s as well. How was the QC on your baby?

Rusty Chops and cerebral gasket like this.
  18. cerebral gasket

I could not be any happier with the QC on mine.

When I went to the store to pick it up, it was still in the case packed inside the factory sealed box that was packed inside another box.

Had them open it up before I left to inspect and was blown away at how nice it was.

Got it home and plugged it in. Tuned it up and the intonation was spot on out of the box.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  19. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

WooHOO!

20. cerebral gasket