“New” Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Aug 19, 2021.

1. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Nice piece of mahogany Cerebral gasket , the bridge look different on the standard version,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stevie C. and cerebral gasket like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yes, the pickups and rings are different too.

There will always be some details that are different between the USA and CS models to justify the price difference. I could not be any happier with my USA model. The pup rings and chrome covers are really the only features that associate this guitar with Iommi.

Other than that, it's just a reissue of a 1964 SG Special. The bridge, tuners, knobs were common modifications back in the day.

Stevie C. likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

I can always spot a vintage 1961-71 SG Special right away by the 12th fret dot spacing. The vintage ones have the dots spaced farther away from each other. They are closer to the binding compared to modern SG Classics or Specials.

I was surprised that with the 2021 Iommi SG Special they used the thin binding and moved the dots a little closer to the binding like the originals. It's not exactly the same, but thought it was cool that they made an effort to reproduce that detail.

[​IMG]

pancake81 and Stevie C. like this.
  4. papagayo

I think that skelt101' s SG Special is an awesome P90 SG, very good idea

Temp 47709 1.JPG

5. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

I agree! :cheers:

6. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Damn, you lucked out on the wood grain lottery!

7. papagayo

I think he choosed his SG

8. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

Does the bridge just have hidden adj screws instead of the kind that stick out?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  9. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

yeah!, that’s a beautiful grain!

10. An Abiding Dude

I noticed that too. It is difficult to discern but the holes are threaded, but the screws (in mine at least) were not pre-installed at the factory and in my initial search I didn't find any in my case candy. Maybe they're hiding in the corner of the interior pocket and I just haven'y found it yet? Any other new owners find their bridge adjustment screws?

Stevie C. likes this.
  11. cerebral gasket

Same here.
    Holes are threaded, but no set screws installed.

The bridge posts are installed so that the bridge is parallel to the pup, same as the 1963-71 SG Specials with the lightning bar wraparound that were often swapped out for a Leo Quan Badass.

Never understood why the original Leo Quan Badass bridge had those extra long screws installed. They could have used short set screws similar to the stock lightning bar wraparound.

The more I think about it, the Leo Quan Badass style bridge on the 2021 SG Special looks very similar to the one on the 1969 SG Special that I had back in the late 1980's. Not sure why the screws were even needed back then unless the bridge posts were not installed at correct location and the saddles ran out of travel.

In 2021, there is no reason for bridge posts to be at the wrong location with the bodies being milled on CNC machines. Pickup cavities and holes are all drilled by CNC machines.

Since the necks are set by hand, there is room for error, so maybe that's why the threaded holes are still part of the modern bridge design in case extra adjustment is needed.

But if the neck is set that far off to where the intonation cannot be dialed in with the saddles alone, the guitar should not be allowed past final QC.

We had a thread here not too long ago about an SG Junior that could not be intonated.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Stevie C. likes this.
  12. An Abiding Dude

It's just weird that they didn't include the set screws when it is a feature of this bridge. My intonation is absolutely fine, but as you can see the "G" saddle is maxed out in one direction. Would the intonation screws necessarily give me more intonation "wiggle" room if the set screw could pull the saddle backwards?
    IMG_0592.jpeg

13. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

Yes, the set screw would give you more room. Or you could flip the saddle around.

14. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

This is a quote in the description from the Gibson site:
    A reproduction of Tony's "Monkey" sticker is included in the case, along with two longer intonation adjustment screws in case you need additional adjustment range.
    They aren’t anywhere to be found in my case either..
    I just sent an email to Musicians Friend and Gibson.

15. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Intonation is pretty much a "yes" or "no" proposition. It is either set correctly, or it isn't. If your guitar intonates correctly, there would be nothing to be gained by moving the bridge further back and then re-adjusting the saddles. I would probably switch the saddle around first like skell101 says before I used the screws to back the bridge up, as I think the bridge would be more stable when fully seated.

16. An Abiding Dude

I was scrolling through Reverb and someone was already reselling the Iommi SG for $2,700. But the interesting part is he wrote this:

"In typical Gibson fashion these 2021 Tony Iommi SG Special Monkey’s were shipped and sold out before Gibson even announced the model or put it on their web site. They sold out just like the Lukas Nelson LP Junior from 2020 and I was told by a Gibson rep that there is no intention of doing another run of these so dealers that claim they have them for pre-order most likely wont get them. Gibson built only 200 of these for the entire world and they sold out quick once guys found out about them and realized what they actually were."

I would love to believe I got on the ground floor of a collector's item, but somehow I think Gibson has planned a production run far greater that 200. He is correct (at this point) that both GC and Sweetwater are sold out and have offered preorders only.

I think I smell bullshit and this guy is just trying to sell his guitar at as much of a premium as possible by hyping its collectability. Has anyone else heard anything that would give creedence to what this guy is saying?

17. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

I can’t imagine 200 either, but we’ll see..
    Interestingly, Gibson’s website also says “Out of Stock” on these now too…

18. cerebral gasket

I saw the listing.
    The neck is listed as the wrong profile.
    It's not a Slim Taper neck.
    It's not a baseball bat either, just a perfect rounded neck.

19. An Abiding Dude

Okay, but have you heard anything about this version of the Iommi SG being a limited run, CG?

20. cerebral gasket

Have not heard of it being a limited run, but you never know.