“New” Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Aug 19, 2021.

1. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Does anyone know if Gibson has done this before, release an artist's model but leave it obscure/open-ended as to whether the production run is limited? I would imagine that there is a huge surge in buying when the model comes out and then a steady tapering off. I guess they'll make them until it ceases to be profitable and then move on to the next one.

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Limited runs are almost always advertised as such. To the best of my knowledge anyway. Given this is the USA line, I would think they will keep them in production for a period, 1-2 years maybe? Like most USA lines, they probably don’t have a production target. When the next year comes they look at sales and determine if they keep it going.

The custom shop models almost always have a predetermined production number. This is for a few reasons I think. Marketing, shop time, and identification of the unit.

Looking at the Angus models, the custom shop was limited to 200 VOS and 50 Murphy aged.

The USA line however produced an unknown number, however reasonable to say it far exceeded the custom shop numbers. The interesting thing is, the USA line and the VOS model went up relative in price to each other after they were sold out or discontinued. I would say about 80-100% from original purchase price.

The Aged version sky rocketed to 300-400 %, but let’s keep in mind that’s only 50 guitars. They are not being sold or traded very often, and those that are buying them are collectors and have deep pockets.

I would wager that this model will follow a similar model. Including the price increase after production stops. It’s not instant of course, the Angus model took about 10 years for prices to get where they are. I would suggest it’s reasonable to say that this guitar will fetch North of $5,000 (Canadian) or $4,000 US in years to come.

The best part is, it’s a beauty of a guitar. I kind of want one!

Lastly, in regards to the out of stock, I think that is just the reality of people swooping up the first batch. With Covid, production could be slower and it may take time for Gibson to keep up with the demand. In the mean time, if your one of the lucky ones to have one just enjoy it and share the photos!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  3. pancake81

Just going through all of the major retailers, they all state something along the lines of “order now and we will ship direct when it arrives” or “accepting orders” / “accepting pre orders”.

Sweet water, L&M, and all these other big names wouldn’t go that route without confidence. I wager we will see many of these beautiful guitars, which I think is fantastic! If you want the super rare bird, spend the $20,000 plus I guess. This is too good to hold back on for folks. Gibson is a business, and when you get a home run that has a lot of demand, and in return profit, you don’t just shut the tap off

4. An Abiding Dude

Yeah I kinda knew the seller on Reverb was probably just doing his best P.T. Barnum to sell his guitar. It was just a fun, interesting piece of gossip. And I know SG owners gossip like fishwives, so...

5. MR D

MR D Active Member

Dude, the GIBSON web-site's picture of the Monkey guitar doesn't have the screws in the bridge. IDK why they aren't pictured and I have stopped trying to figure out why GIBSON does anything. BUT, I would want them available to me if I wanted to put them in the guitar, seeing as T.I. had them on the guitar. The GIBSON web-site also doesn't say what type of bridge is on the Guitar or what it is actually constructed with, BUT it does say the adjustment screws are included for 'additional adjustment range'.
    Let us know if GIBSON gets these screws out to you, they should do it immediately to honour their word to customers. In the past they have always honoured their word to me, and pretty quiclkly too.

Stevie C. likes this.
  6. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

Iommi SG 1.jpg Iommi SG 3.jpg Iommi SG 2.jpg Here's my new Iommi SG, complete with correctly oriented Monkey decal installed!![​IMG]

7. pancake81

I filled out the “Contact me when available” info on Sweetwater and they sent me this:

I got the message that you asked to be informed about when we get the Gibson Tony Iommi “Monkey” SG Special.

My suggestion is, don’t wait until I have one in stock!

I will most likely be sold out by that time to other customers who have preordered this product now. I suggest that you do the same and place your order today so that I can reserve one for you when I get them.

There is no risk to do this because I don’t charge your credit card until the product is here and ready to ship.

Would you like me to put your name on one?

Alternatively, you can place your order online through this link and I will reserve one for you...

Gibson Tony Iommi "Monkey" SG Special - Vintage Cherry | Sweetwater

If you would like, we can go over alternatives that might fit your needs as well!

Jim Ridings
    Sales Engineer, Sweetwater
    Call or Text: (260) 217-4515
    Office: (800) 222-4700 x3977

8. pancake81

So it’s interesting. Still no info on limited run etc, but I think it’s just a case of demand is really strong. Unless they keep this model in production for 5 plus years they were for sure be sought after

An Abiding Dude likes this.
  9. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

Musician's Friend still shows a Lefty in stock at the moment..

10. An Abiding Dude

11. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

On eBay, a seller named "creative-cuts". Apparently he made the decal for the St.Moritz Monkey SG as well.
    Very nice quality.

12. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

13. An Abiding Dude

I just emailed Gibson. I'll let you know what they say.

pancake81 likes this.
  14. An Abiding Dude

Drum roll, please. Regarding the bridge adjustment screws Gibson customer service said:

"Hi,

Congrats on your new guitar! These should be in the case. If not, please send me the guitar’s serial number and your address information and I will have them sent to you. Thanks!"

Double checked the case pocket and the plastic baggie with the baby picture, QC checklist and manual. Bupkis, nada, zilch. So, looks like I'll be sending an email. I'll give an update on how long it takes to get here if you guys are interested.

15. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

I emailed them on Sunday, and still haven't got a reply.... grr
    I'm on hold on the phone right now..

16. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

Just got off the phone with Gibson.. They said I should receive them in 7-14 days..

An Abiding Dude likes this.
  17. pancake81

Response from Sweetwater when they reached out to Gibson. If it does stay at 1000, this will be an extremely valuable guitar

Gibson has not shared the total production goal on this guitar. My best guess is they will do 1000 or so total, but that is only a guess at this point.
    Jim Ridings
    Sales Engineer, Sweetwater

18. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, the Iommi SG Special is already extremely valuable to me.

It doesn't need any additional time to become more valuable in the future. The fact that I enjoy playing this guitar now in the present makes it priceless.

Been waiting a long time for a non-vintage SG Special with thick rounded neck, P-90's, wraparound bridge. Could not be any happier with this guitar.

19. An Abiding Dude

Just out of curiosity, cg, did you find your bridge adjustments screws when you unpacked your Special?

20. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I did not find any bridge adjustment screws.

Maybe I should run down to the hardware store and get some extra long ones like on the Leo Quan Badass that was on my 1969 SG Special back in the day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021