“New” Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Aug 19, 2021.

1. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

I suppose that's one option if you don't want through the hassle of getting Gibson to cough 'em up. I'm getting the sense that nobody got these adjustment screws. I think the culprit is the QC checklist which is generic and doesn't specify including this part, so the person inspecting/packing the guitar doesn't have a reminder to include the screws.

2. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I am torn myself. I really don’t need another guitar, and certainly not another SG. But it is such a unique guitar, and to know I could play it and enjoy it for years to come and sell it risk free is pretty damn tempting!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The new fiddle reminds me of my 1969 SG Special because it has the same bridge and tuners.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    pancake81 likes this.
  4. An Abiding Dude

I feel your conflict, p81. I definitely did not need another guitar, but I've been chasing Iommi for the last couple of years, mainly to having a dedicated SG that I would keep in C# tuning to play all those post-Paranoid album songs. I finally picked up a mid to late aughts Epiphone Iommi signature (with the little cross inlays that only go to the 12th fret and the Iommi signature pickups) used on Reverb and its a nice guitar at a more than reasonable price. I thought I was done, but this came around and I was like Gollum and the ring, I shouldn't need it, but me wants it! The big guitar stores make it too easy with lines of credit you can pay off from two to four years depending on the promotion. A hundred bucks a month for two years, no interest? I can swing that! I also came to a decision that the SG would become an aesthetic choice for public performance in the same sense of Angus and Iommi as dedicated player of different version of the same instrument. One in standard, one in E-flat, one in open tuning for slide or Stones tunes, etc. but all SGs!

5. cerebral gasket

Iommi SG Special
    Tipton SG Special
    Townshend SG Special

6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I didn' t noticed the tuners, Grover with Schaller style buttons, nice.

7. An Abiding Dude

8. cerebral gasket

I was thinking the batwing version, but reissue it with rounded neck instead of slim taper.

9. joseph07081

joseph07081 Active Member

I have been chasing a way to get an Iommi SG. I have the newer Epiphone SG that came out in 2015, but I still can’t get the Monkey out of my head. This will be my last shot to get one while I can afford it. I will be placing my order today.

Stevie C. likes this.
  10. semka

semka Member

GC has them in stock as of this evening...

joseph07081 likes this.
  11. joseph07081

Guitar Center and Musicians Friends were showing some in stock, not sure if that is true, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger and ordered from Guitar Center. Used some creative financing and will be thinning my herd drastically to pay for this. My previous post was from my phone in the dentist's office waiting room, so it was kind of brief. I figure this is the last chance I will have to obtain one of these, so I am going for it.

12. joseph07081

I just ordered one, I hope they do not run out before they fill my order.

Stevie C. likes this.
  13. cerebral gasket

Busted the high E string on the SG today.
    Gives me an excuse to measure the neck.
    It's the same thickness as my 2004 SG Classic.
    I knew it felt perfect the day I got it.

2004 SG Classic (ebony)

1st fret thickness: 0.845"
    12th fret thickness: 1.00"

2006 SG Classic (cherry)

1st fret thickness: 0.825"
    12th fret thickness: 0.975"

2021 Tony Iommi SG Special

1st fret thickness: 0.845"
    12th fret thickness: 1.00"

14. DKTallica

DKTallica New Member

Funny. My high E busted a week after I got mine. I friggin love this guitar. So I just recently purchased a new Strat and for whatever reason was looking on guitar centers site a few weeks back for what they had in lefties. Had no idea this was coming out and when I saw it I think it had released that day or the next. Called my guy at guitar center (yeah I have a gear sickness) and he said he’d order one to the store for me to try out. I had no intention to keep but wow. The P90s in this growl like nothing I’ve heard. Plugged it in to a 71 vribro champ and it was amazing. I have to keep it. I like thick necks and don’t have a p90 guitar (until now). This is also my first Sg. So super stoked. Guy said GC only had 5 lefties nationwide. And that was the first day or so they were offered. I feel damn lucky to have this.

Stevie C. and cerebral gasket like this.
  15. cerebral gasket

Congrats on your first SG.
    You could not have picked a better SG as your first one. I love SG Specials with a thick neck, P-90's, wraparound bridge. They have not produced one with those specs in a long time.

DKTallica likes this.
  16. cerebral gasket

Just busted the high E string again right after re-stringing it. Tuned it up to pitch, then needed to slacken the strings to adjust the bridge height and when tuned up it busted the string. Must be a burr on the saddle.

I noticed the saddles are pre-notched all to the same size. Usually they string the guitar and once the string spacing is set, they hit each string over the saddle with a mallet.

17. DKTallica

DKTallica New Member

I know I should learn how, but I know nothing about setups. Always take it to a local shop in town to a guy who’s awesome at it. I’m like cole trickle. I race the cars. Know nothing about the engines.

Go Nigel Go and cerebral gasket like this.
  18. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

That's probably for the best if you don't know how to do it, as it is possible to really make a mess of it if you do things incorrectly or get your steps out of order. It is something you can learn over time though, and if you are interested in learning about it, you might find your tech willing to teach you some basics while he sets up your axe for you. Just learning to set the bridge height, pickup adjustment, and intonation can open up a world of possibilities for you. Not to mention you can learn to spot problems that can be addressed early, even if you don't want to do it yourself.

DKTallica likes this.
  19. joseph07081

I just got a tracking number for my SG from Guitar Center. I ordered it Next Day delivery so hopefully, it shows up tomorrow. I am so stoked.

20. DKTallica

DKTallica New Member

Well I hope you get it tomorrow. And make sure to look for those screws. Hot topic on this thread. Mine did not have them. So I’m gonna reach out to Gibson. I’m ocd with complete untouched case candy.

I’ve been playing nonstop Leslie West songs since I got mine.

joseph07081 likes this.