“New” Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Aug 19, 2021.

1. GuitarJedi

GuitarJedi New Member

The guitar center rep told me the only stock available is through stores which is odd. That goes for MF as well. So there is no guarantee I will get an unopened one. I called and asked for a non floor model.

2. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

Here's a weird one. This guy is already selling his Monkey SG for $5 off the list price.

https://reverb.com/item/44232111-gibson-tony-iommi-sg-special-2021-monkey-decal-included

Why buy a guitar if you're just going to immediately sell it at a $200 loss? Of course, if he was lucky enough to buy from Gibson directly he may be only losing $5, but still. Why not keep it for a while and see if it appreciates? I'm guessing the guy just wanted to try it with no intention of falling in love with it. If he got it from a major retailer though, he could've got a 100% refund without the hassle of shipping it himself. Huh, people baffle me.

In other news, the fellow from Gibson emailed me and said my intonation screws were on their way. So...yay.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

We don’t know the circumstances of why the guitar was not returned for a full refund. Maybe the time period to return it expired.

At least the seller is doing the right thing by selling it for less than the original purchase price and not being a dick like people who flip guitars for profit.

Never understood why people think used guitars should be sold for the same price or higher than what they paid for them when new.

Once a guitar is played, it’s a used guitar. Makes no difference to me how limited the production run is or if it is a vintage guitar, I don’t believe in paying more for a used item than what it cost when new.

No different than driving a new car off the lot. As soon as it leaves the dealership, the value depreciates.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    PermissionToLand and GuitarJedi like this.
  4. semka

semka Member

My friend's guitar was delivered. It came in single box, unclear if it was sealed or not because the shipping label was strategically placed over security tape. The guitar itself is in a good shape, no visible signs of use, but... no "Monkey" sticker in the box! And no adjusting screws either...

cerebral gasket and joseph07081 like this.
  5. joseph07081

joseph07081 Active Member

I thought my Monkey sticker was missing, but I found it folded into the checklist. I am missing the screws though.

6. MR D

MR D Active Member

WOW, thats not good. You bought a Monkey SG and it should have the screws. Every picture I have seen of T.I. playing his 'Monkey' guitar, those screws are in it.

GuitarJedi and Stevie C. like this.
  7. cerebral gasket

I'm not worried about the screws.
    They aren't needed.

joseph07081 likes this.
  8. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

The Les Paul has been going for a long time :rofl:

9. joseph07081

joseph07081 Active Member

I agree, but I am not too worried about it. I sent an email to Gibson support about it, so we will see if they take care of it. If not, a trip to the hardware store can fix this pretty quick. Mine does not need them, but it would be nice to have them to make the package complete. I am just enjoying the guitar as it is.

10. MR D

MR D Active Member

C.B., I kinda figure that too. What makes a Guitar worth more after it is purchased/played? IDK...but some people think a GIBSON '66 SG Standard is worth $8-$10 G's and up these days , I just don't. IDK what they went for new in '66 ($350?) BUT the price is whatever the market will bear ? I would really like to get my stock 2017 SG Standard next to a '66 SG Standard and play them acoustic and through the same rig...and see what difference there is, if any. I had a '79 SG Standard & it did not sound as good to my ears as my '17. It just didn't. I sold the '79 immediately and had previously thought I would never sell it.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  11. MR D

MR D Active Member

Good, glad to hear your enjoying playing that Bad-ASS. The screws should not be to difficult to find either. Metric or Standard, that is the question. Where the bridge was made would indicate that...I think.
    I have yet to look at the Monkey specs, does it have regular GIBSON P-90's ? Gibson did make a Tony Iommi pickup and from what I have heard they are BLAZING ! I've never seen one and IDK whether its a Humbucker or a P-90 but the original 'Monkey' had P-90's IIRC.

Stevie C. likes this.
  12. DKTallica

DKTallica New Member

Does anyone have another P90 Gibson? I’m curious if this is just how the Gibson stock p90s sound or if the iommi Sg has something different. Because they really are something special IMO.

13. skelt101

skelt101 Well-Known Member

Everything written indicates they are just “regular” P90s in the Monkey. (Certainly not a bad thing!). The Iommi signature pickup is a humbucker that is based on the bridge pickup in the Old Boy guitar. I’ve never had the opportunity to a/b them, but have heard the Gibson pickups sound dull in comparison to the Jaydee version. Not sure if he still posts here, but @SG Lou had both and vastly preferred the Jaydee.

14. cerebral gasket

I have three other Gibsons with P-90’s and a custom built SG with P-90’s. Also had a ‘63 and ‘69 SG Special in the past with P-90’s.

The Iommi SG Special is the best sounding Gibson to my ears that I currently have.

The Badass style bridge does not have any markings underneath to identify it when I removed it the other day to replace the strings.

I wouldn’t sweat the screws missing from the bridge as it intonates just fine without them.

joseph07081, pancake81 and Stevie C. like this.
  15. An Abiding Dude

Hey! Got my screws from Gibson! And they were attached to a brand-new replacement bridge! Score!

IMG_0597.jpeg

16. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

Holy crap! That's awesome!! I wish mine came that fast!

17. cerebral gasket

Wow! They used the same extra long screws just like on the original Leo Quan Badass that was installed on my 1969 SG Special. Did they request to send the other bridge back as an RMA?

18. An Abiding Dude

Nope, just an envelope with the bridge in it. No paperwork or receipt or the like.

19. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Holy smokes, that’s amazing. Above and beyond really!!

20. An Abiding Dude

So, you have to figure that the bridge probably comes like this and the person at Gibson who installs the bridge takes the screws out and then doesn't bother to put them back in. There is probably a box just full of these screws sitting in the factory. Poor, little orphans.

Stevie C. likes this.