“New” Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, Aug 19, 2021.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Just because the screws come with the bridge, doesn't necessarily mean they are needed, especially on a new guitar where the bridge posts were drilled with a CNC machine.

They probably decided that leaving the screws out makes for a cleaner looking build since they are not needed for this application. We have much newer technology today compared to the 1960's.

A CNC machine can consistently drill the bridge post holes exactly where they need to be in order to properly intonate the guitar by adjusting the saddles without the need for any other additional adjustment screws.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Go Nigel Go likes this.
  2. semka

semka Member

Well, they have metal covers so they probably should sound slightly different.

3. cerebral gasket

The metal covers may attenuate the higher frequencies which would explain why the screws are raised so high on the pickups to compensate for any loss of said higher frequencies.

While DCR is not always an indicator of the output of a pup, both bridge and neck pups on mine measured 8 kΩ.

The pups do hum cancel in middle position.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  4. An Abiding Dude

An Abiding Dude Active Member

You're probably right, cg. Just nice to have a little extra wiggle room if you happen to need it. If they wanted to make it really clean they could create interior screws with no head, instead have a hex opening in the top of the body of the screw and use an allen-wrench.

Go Nigel Go and cerebral gasket like this.
  5. cerebral gasket

Agreed.
    That's how 50's and 60's wraparound bridges were done, with a short Allen set screw. No need for all that extra length and a big clunky head on the end.

[​IMG]

Go Nigel Go likes this.
  6. semka

semka Member

But that was probably the "look" Tony was going after, not necessarily the functionality...

7. cerebral gasket

I discovered there is no taper on the bridge pup volume pot between 3 and 4. The taper on the neck pup volume pot is fine. I'm guessing it's probably not part of the final inspection to check the taper of the pots.

8. cerebral gasket

Every Badass bridge that I have seen has those extra long round head screws. Maybe the designers of the Badass bridge (Glen Quan and Leo Malliaras) decided to use those type of screws for aesthetic reasons or maybe that's all they had on hand at the time.

Most people who purchased and installed Badass bridges just left the original screws in place instead of replacing them with less conspicuous looking ones. My 1969 SG Special from the past had a Badass bridge with those same style screws.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

That's a killer lookin piece of wood!

10. MR D

MR D Active Member

Congratulations on the new 'Monkey'.
    I just looked at the GIBSON website and the pics they have up, the ones I saw, do not have the screws in the Stop-Bar/Bridge. I did not find the picture they had up previously with Tony Iommi holding the new USA Line 'Monkey' SG. IDK, I cant bring myself to get a guitar that is supposed to represent one just like T.I.'s.....as I am not Left-Handed. I passed on the recent Hendrix Signature Flying V (OMG that is BAD-A$$$$) for that reason as well.
    The Jay-Dee 'The OLD BOY' is the T.I. SG I thought was the baddest sounding.....Jay-Dee is offering an 'OLD BOY' for a pretty reasonabale price >$5G's (?)....definite maybe.....

BTW, TNX 2 U, I just watched 'The Big Lebowski' for the 1st time....I had never seen it and did not quite get the ending w/the idiots in the parking lot (I realized Donny got shot/had a heart attack(?) and died)....the 'SHUT THE **** UP DONNY' was hilarious. I used to have some drinks with the one guy way back, not Flea-bag, one w/black hair and accent.
    L.A. .....LOL !

11. An Abiding Dude

The Jaydees are reasonably priced, but I think it's about a three year waiting period because they're so back ordered and not a manufacturing behemoth like Gibson. The Monkey is a very nice guitar though, if you ever find yourself so inclined.

As for Lebowski, welcome to the club. It just gets funnier on repeat viewings because you are able to understand and follow the plot better. The Coen Brothers deliberately made it a bit messy plot-wise to mimic Raymond Chandler, who wrote the Philip Marlowe novels and who, along with Dashiell Hammett, Mickey Spillane and Ross MacDonald, pioneered the hardboiled P.I. genre. If you've ever seen movies like "The Big Sleep" or "The Long Goodbye," imagine instead of Philip Marlowe, the biggest slacker in L.A. is thrust into the story. That's The Big Lebowski in a nutshell.

12. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

Musicians Friend is showing more in stock today.

cerebral gasket and GuitarJedi like this.
  13. MR D

MR D Active Member

Yes, I saw those. I wish they'd get a FLYING V I could buy or at least have a HSCase so I could buy one of the few B-2 Flying 'V's they have. But, of course, they don't have a Hard Shell Case that will fit a V....and I asked Gibson too, and they don't either.

14. Stevie C.

Stevie C. New Member

My screws finally came today. They sent four screws for some reason instead of two, but no bridge which is fine.

15. joseph07081

joseph07081 Active Member

I received an email from UPS that a package from Gibson is coming my way. Although I don't need them and they are easy enough to find at a hardware store if I did need them, it is nice to see Gibson sending them out.

GuitarJedi likes this.
  16. DKTallica

DKTallica New Member

Got my screws today. Just the 2. Not gonna lie. I was REALLY hoping for a bridge as well! Previous poster got lucky with that one!

So anyone know if these are gonna be limited? Increase in value? I plan to keep mine but part of me does think it’s kinda cool to be playing an appreciating piece of gear. Tis why I also try and go vintage with amps.

GuitarJedi likes this.
  17. An Abiding Dude

The stock photos on Gibson's website show the bridge being screw-less, but the ones on GC or MF show it with the screws. I have no idea why they sent me a whole replacement bridge, but I'm not complaining either. You'd think it'd be a small detail to put the screws in at the factory. This has to be a bit of a hassle for whoever it in charge of mailing out the screws to Monkey owners that actually care about having the screws.

18. semka

semka Member

No word on those being limited, but it's likely to become a collector's item at some point if judging by the values of other signature SGs. These do have some unique combination of features (and I am not talking about the monkey sticker here) that might be appealing to collectors.

GuitarJedi likes this.
  19. cerebral gasket

This is the first SG Special that I have ever seen with P-90's that were level with the strings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

papagayo likes this.
  20. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You can order better sized screws Stainless steel flat end hexagonal hollow head screws

https://www.bricovis.fr/produit-vis...-creuse-bout-plat-inox-a4-din-913-sthcplata4/

cerebral gasket likes this.