'16 SG Std T

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by hdvades, Aug 1, 2020.

1. hdvades

hdvades New Member

So I had a '16 Faded SG T. Really liked it and the neck profile too. Was leary of the smaller cavity/PCB but never had any issues. Was in a bind and unfortunately had to sell it.
    There is a local used '16 SG Std T with the pcb stuff for a decent price. A lot cheaper than the similar new ones that now have conventional wiring.
    I imagine down the road if I wanted I could repace the innards with conventional stuff right?
    Save for a new one or jump on it?
    TIA for comments/opinions.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

If you liked the original one, go for the '16. FWIW I have four Gibsons with the pcb and have had no issues with them nor a desire to swap for conventional wiring.

hdvades, arcticsg and cerebral gasket like this.
  3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

2016 Standard is nice SG. 490R/498T pups and a fat neck. A definite rock monster.

I love mine. :smile:

[​IMG]

4. hdvades

hdvades New Member

^^^Agree with both for same reasons.^^^
    Going jump on the '16.

5. catstudioguitars

catstudioguitars Member

I have a 2016 Standard and it is great. One of the best modern SGs I have played. Great neck profile, top one or two of all neck profiles I own. Medium-chunky.

When I bought it, it has Seymour Duncan 59s in it. Then I played it with vintage Gibson Tim Shaw PAFs for a while.Now I have a 490t (stock,alnico2) /490r (alnico IV mod) in it because I wanted potted pickups.

498/490 is a good set. Very usable.

hdvades likes this.
  6. OldDog

OldDog Member

I have a '16 Standard T with the PCB. I really like how this guitar feels, plays, and sounds...and I'm not very good. If I ever do have a problem with the PCB, I can fix it one way or the other. The only thing that can't be fixed is death. Don't worry, be happy.

7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

No problem with the PCB. I did have a pot go bad in my 2017 Standard and I decided to chuck it and put a new wiring harness in but sound-wise no issues.

chilipeppermaniac and arcticsg like this.
  8. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Yup. My SGJ from 2014 has PCB. and great pickups. Just play it until something breaks. Then worry

9. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

Absolutely you can. I replaced mine with individual components in same manner they always did before circuit boards

10. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Member

I too have a 2016 Gibson SG Standard. I put Lindy Fralin Pure Vintage PAF humbucker set in it. Love the playability, light weight and bound next puts it over the top in feel not having fret sprout as a result

koaguilds likes this.
  11. Bloke

Bloke New Member

I've also got a 2016 SG Standard T. Absolutely brilliant guitar. Neck feels great and the 498T in the bridge roars.

arcticsg likes this.
  12. Dave_11

Dave_11 New Member

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all of the faded/sgj/tribute/etc permutations... Are you saying that this model has a smaller control cavity that won't fit a standard wiring harness, if one chose to re-wire?