1961 Gibson SG Reissue Sideways Vibrola

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by malcolm77, Apr 12, 2021.

1. malcolm77

malcolm77 New Member

Hi. Just bought a new SG with sideways vibrola. After bringing it home I noticed the vibrola arm when folded in rests on the input jack forcing me to pull the arm up to connect the jack. Anyone know if the arm can be adjusted out of the way? Thanks

2. Pat H

Pat H New Member

I as well just got one a month ago with the same problem. I loosened the vibrola springs a bit until the handle cleared the jack. I just ordered the block kit from mojoaxe as it was next to impossible to stay in tune with use.

3. edselman

edselman Member

Someone stated in another thread that there are adjustment nuts under the cover.

4. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

I sent mine back because of that exact problem.ICFBI and brought the axe to an authorized GIBSON svc center: Joe said 'Send it back', so I reluctantly did.....then someone here stated recently that there is a very easy fix. Fuckin' "OUCH", yes? IDR what the 'fix' is but it is said to be an easy one ! its in a thread around here somewhere.

CONGRATS on that axe.If it is like the one I wish I hadn't sent back, itssa keeper......if its the Black w/Gold H'ware and 3 '57's........ itssa a MONSTER !!!

I ended up w/'19 'Original' w/Maestro & 2 '57's and while its not as COOL looking, it SCREEEMS now that I dialed it in. IDK if its me, but, sometimes those Slim-Taper necks need to have the Relief set as near to dead straight as possible (.003" @ 8th Fret, but be careful to not kink/twist neck binding/frets etc..and, especially if its new and the neck hasn't 'set'/stabilized yet , just keep an eye on the relief to avoid any possible twist/upbow) to get the Li'l BAD-A$$ to 'RING' as they all do.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021