1961 SG Standard build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Silvertone, May 19, 2020.

1. Reuben

Reuben New Member

I'm pretty much finished with my model and the previews look great. The only challenge is doing the neck pocket. I have a few necks to work with but I will have to adapt the to the pocket I wind up cutting. Are you making your own necks? I can do it but may have to do a two part neck based on my working length of my CNC's table... It's no fun doing a cut and hitting the limit switches in the middle of cutting large block.

I use and ONSRUD 57 1/4 inch end mill for rough cuts and a 1/4" RN for the finish.. I agree, if the step over is small (I used about 10%) it is virtually ready for finish sanding...

Reuben

I'm going to do a three pickup design

2. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

Yeah - I do necks on my CNC machine as well. I find the necks on an SG fairly simple as they are just like LP JR necks. You don't have to worry about the shoulders or the fret board sitting on the body. Those early ones are fragile but I'm not gigging and I am pretty careful.

Here is a neck and a couple of bodies I cut a while back.
    IMG_6004.JPG

Cheers Peter.

3. chris z

chris z New Member

my 61 has a compound fingerboard, would you like a carefull diagram of my guitar?

4. Silvertone

Silvertone Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I've PM'd you. Originally, AFAIK, those should have been 12", or some say 10", radiused boards. I'll have to have a discussion with my "mentor". I have a friend that is very knowledgeable about those vintage guitars.

I would love to hear if anyone else had heard of a compound radius on these early guitars. I'm assuming it's original? Has it had a refret?

Cheers Peter.

5. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

In this video (at 10:25) he finds the frets have been either played or leveled into a compound radius over the years on a 1992 SG.

I'd imagine it's either a result of playing and work being done over the years, and/or less precise methods used back in the day when building.

6. chris z

chris z New Member

The binding along the neck is parallel and there is no sign of reshaping of the fingerboard at all, the inlay is smooth only because i cleaned it up by gently fine sanding, otherwise would still see the belt sanding lines.it has been refeted twice, once by Augie LoPrinzi, and me, i was there both times.from the original wides to typical martin frets to now 90x50's, modern gibson size.chris(gold flake) z

7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

That's some awesome, awesome stuff you make there.