1965 SG Special with 900xxx Serial?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by csy5fr, Mar 5, 2021.

1. csy5fr

csy5fr New Member

Hi there,

I have an offer to buy a SG Special which is said to be built in 1965. Everything is right, as far as I can assess. Small Pickguard, Big Knobs, Hardware, Neck Joint etc. What puzzles me, is the serial number which is #900XXX which rather indicates a 1968-1969. I know, that the spread of serials in that era of Gibson is quite wide, but I have never seen a 1965 SG with a 900xxx serial. I have to admit, I haven't seen the pot stamps yet, which may reveal the truth. Maybe it is one of the last small pickguard ones from 1967...?
    Any suggestions?

Cheers

Christian

2. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I think '66 was the transitional year from small to large guard although I've never seen a '66 with a large guard. I have a '67 Special with early '67 pot codes and it has the large pick guard. I would wait to see the dates on the pots before putting too much faith into the serial number. And post some pics if you end up with it!

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Serial numbers are effectively useless for dating a '60s SG. Gibson was jumping all over the place back then. If anything, they contribute more to misinformation spreading around because sellers mis-identify constantly and insist they are right because of the serial number. The last of the small pickguards shipped in mid-1966.

This is the info you should be focusing on:

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Dating

4. csy5fr

csy5fr New Member

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

In 1965, the nut width was changed from 1-11/16 to 1-9/16. You have to look at the sum of all the features. Some years are transitional years where some features overlap from the previous year.

6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Heel design checks out for 1965. Ain't no way on earth that's any newer than early '66.