1967 gibson sg advice

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Birdsfabulous, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Birdsfabulous

Birdsfabulous New Member

Hello all. I bought this 67 gibson sg a while back. Love it. Plays fantastic and stays in tune even with the vibrola. Its a refinish--im guessing a sanding of the old nitro and a quick respray of clear and a rewire. Has grovers but all original hardware/plastics/pickups. Just the pots and wiring has been replaced. Cts 500k looks like but they used square green poly caps -1 02 or .22 and 1 .427 ( something like this -- i will look when i get home) i see that the wired the caps from the lug of the pot directly to the body of the same pot instead of bridging between the 2 and i want this fixed. I feel like i should just gut it and start over. My question is would you track down some 66/67 wiring in tact or just buy some rs guitar works style kit and throw it in. Really looking for opinions here. Trying to lood pics but might have to resize

Attached Files:

2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I would wire it myself.
    No overpriced pre-fab harness.
    Cost of pots, caps, wire is inexpensive.

Vintage or modern makes no difference.
    I would use modern components.

rotorhead likes this.
  4. Birdsfabulous

Birdsfabulous New Member

Thanka for the reply guys. Gonna try to poat pics now. Maybe i can reaize them

5. Birdsfabulous

Birdsfabulous New Member

6. Birdsfabulous

Birdsfabulous New Member

20201113_185015_resized_1.jpg 20201113_185015_resized_1.jpg 20201113_184933_resized_1.jpg 20201113_185015_resized_1.jpg 20201113_184933_resized_1.jpg 20201113_184933_resized_1.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Birdsfabulous

Birdsfabulous New Member

8. Birdsfabulous

Birdsfabulous New Member

As you can see the caps are wired directly to the tone pots-- not from volume to tone at all. Guitar still sounds amazing but i want it right and figured this would be a great place for advice since people here have probably seen it all. I have no idea who did this work but makes me want to gut it and start fresh even though the pots are probably just fine

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

10. Birdsfabulous

Birdsfabulous New Member

Clean work

cerebral gasket likes this.
  11. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Well, since you want opinions, if it sounds good it is good. First option; leave it. Second option; get new pots and wire and redo it. The second option will make no difference except giving you peace of mind. Same with vintage stuff. If it makes you happy to know it's all vintage, go for it. But there will be no difference in sound. Expensive harnesses are a scam. A cap is a cap.

12. Birdsfabulous

Birdsfabulous New Member

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. General concensus seems to be not to worry about sourcing the vintage stuff im not too concerned with resale value since i dont plan on selling it and since it has been refinished it already has a strike against it anyhow. I may just wire what i have properly and see how i like it. Thqnks again

13. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Best option.

14. jk67SG

jk67SG Member

I have a '67 Standard I bought in early '68, so I know it's all original. I can get you photos of the control cavity if you like; the first thing I notice is that apparently the shielding was removed from the control cavity, maybe when it was re-finished, although I don't know why that would have been done.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020