1967 Gibson SG Junior converted to a Standard

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Tim Gall, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Tim Gall

Tim Gall New Member

I purchased a broken and modified SG junior that I converted into a standard. I was able to obtain a correct Fretboard and headstock overlay from a Les Paul. I had to take off the original fretboard anyway because the truss rod was broken and needed replaced. I also found two more 1966 pots on reverb to match the current 2 in the guitar. The other parts are from MojoAxe and the pickups are from Brandonwoundpickups.com The guitar came out great and sounds incredible. What are your opinions on the project? Should I have turned it back into a Junior or do you like the upgrade?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nice!
    Batwing SG are my favorite.
    I like the fact that you installed a stop bar tailpiece instead of a Maestro Vibrola.

3. Pointyfan

Pointyfan Member

That's an absolutely amazing bit of work. It was so far gone, why not make it a Standard. And, it looks like your overlay came pre-broken, so you don't have to worry about that now! Fantastic work, you should be proud! :cheers:

4. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Nice work! nothing wrong with that kind of transformation!

5. Tim Gall

Tim Gall New Member

Yes the headstock overlay was already broken so it took some work to get it smoothed out after gluing it on, but I got the overlay and the fretboard for $100 so I didn't mind the extra work. It was quite challenging to get the fretboard width sanded down to match the neck and leave room for the new binding but somehow I fiddled my way through it. I had some guidance from the famous LAY's Guitar shop here in Akron, Ohio that really helped me out. I can't express how friendly and helpful and knowledgeable they are about vintage guitars. I have them set up all of my guitars. After all they did work on the 59 Burst Les Paul for Joe Walsh that ended up as Jimmy Page's Number 1 guitar. Please check them out at www.laysguitar.com They also have a great selection of guitars for sale.

6. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Active Member

Great work. I wouldn’t change anything

7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Wow thats amazing, without a doubt you did the right thing. Congrats on a job well done! :yesway:

8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Very cool and well executed. How did you handle the broken headstock? Did you refinish the back side?

9. Tim Gall

Tim Gall New Member

10. Tim Gall

Tim Gall New Member

Yes I had to add finish to the back of the headstock. I added a lot of black to the cherry nitro to cover up the new wood and blend it in to the old finish. You can still see the original serial number but you have to look pretty hard to see it all.

11. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

well i guess if u like Standards... :p
    i would have converted it to a Special instead, at least the original P90 will still be used.

12. Tim Gall

Tim Gall New Member

20200103_141206 3.jpg 20200103_141206 3.jpg I probably would have kept it as a Junior if I didn't already have a Les Paul Jr.

13. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

Great job.

I'm usually not a fan of conversions - off-centre seam fake bursts are my pet hate:mad:.

But a Junior that's as far gone as yours is absolutely a fine candidate for Standard or Special treatment and that's a really nice piece of work:smile:.