1968 SG Special in the UK says Hi

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Zoot, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Zoot

Zoot New Member

Hello from the UK

Just got my 1968 Gibson SG Special back out of storage (been stored for about 5 years), need to clean it up and looking to get the original vibrola short tremelo back on it which is still have but think i need to get a new wraparound bridge. Would like to get something that looks very original. Just trying to figure out if i need slots in the bridge. Definitly need some new screws but i think i saw someone posting the correct screw info on the forum.

I got the guitar back in the eighties for £200 and was sold to me as a Gibson SG Special Custom but i think the 'custom' part was it had been wired for stereo which i have since rewired back to normal. The guy really didn't want to sell it but he had a kid on the way and needed the money.

I have included a pic with my 80's telecaster contemporary which is my regular player.

Main info I am after atm is any recommendations on cleaning and I definitely need a good case. Interested in the Gator GW-SG-BROWN Deluxe Electric Guitar or the TKL PRODUCTS TKL7826 but they are both difficult to get in the UK.

Thanks for any advice

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. John J

John J Active Member

Very nice and Hello.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Nice!
    My first SG was a 1969 SG Special that I purchased second hand back in the 1980's and previous owner had installed a Leo Quan Badass bridge just like yours.

Zoot likes this.
  4. Zoot

Zoot New Member

is that what it is, tbh i never real knew.

5. Zoot

Zoot New Member

first thing sorted out, got a gator case for my SG, pretty snug fit hardly any movement due to the top horn holding it in place.

I had emailed Gator and they said they had some over in the UK, gave me links to a couple of companies to order them from.

Got it a few days later. very pleased

case3.jpg

case2.jpg case.jpg

Gahr and cerebral gasket like this.
  6. Zoot

Zoot New Member

Stage 2 of fixing up my 68 special. Gibson fretboard conditioner, size #6 1 inch stainless screws and new piece of felt for fixing the short vibrola back on. New set of .008 strings. All went well, the screws were nice and tight and the vibrola feels very well attached. I have ended up with a bit of fret buzz around the 12th fret but the action is very low atm and i dont think the vibrola is sitting quite right. Will give it a few days to settle down before i adjust.

Attached Files:

Gahr likes this.
  7. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

At some point you should get hold of a couple of short set screws to replace those huge things hanging out the back of the bridge. But so far - looking great.

DJGranite and Zoot like this.
  8. Zoot

Zoot New Member

thanks, yeah they are really ugly lol. if i dont change the bridge then I will get replacements. just going to see how well it plays overtime.

weird thing I am getting is a very slight buzz through the amp for just half a second when i use the tremelo. seems to be when the fan part (i think its called that) dips below the strings then comes back up to touch them.

9. donepearce

THat's all about how the strings and associated metalwork are grounded. Normally there would be a short wire from the control cavity up to one of the bushings for the bridge posts. The wire gets squashed between the bush and the wood of the body. Something isn't right in that department

Zoot likes this.
  10. Zoot

Zoot New Member

yeah. i dont think i generally have a buzzing issue so i guess the earth connection is there, might just put a temporary wire from the bridge to the tremelo to see if that cures the issue.

Where does the earth connect to, back of the pots, jack lead socket?

11. donepearce

Not sure, but if you look in the cavity it will be a single insulated wire going through a hole in the general direction of the bridge.

Zoot likes this.