1968 SG Standard - Putting it back - sort of

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by avs3259, Apr 11, 2005.

1. avs3259

avs3259 New Member

I recently acquired a 1968 SG Standard (s/n 955588). There are some things that need correcting.

a) has Grover Rotomatics- the big ones. I've never liked these pegs because the knob set screws have a tendency to work loose after which they slip like crazy. I have a complete set of original double ring Kluson Deluxe pegs from a '67 Standard that I used to own. The peg holes were enlarged to accommodate the Grovers. Allparts and Stew-Mac both sell reducer bushings (10mm Grover hole back to stock). Question: do I need the hex style or the round style bushings?

b) The tunomatic bridge has saddles that require complete removal of the adjusting screw in order to remove the saddle, i.e. these saddles won't fall out. My '67 had the older style with the retaining wire: remove the wire and they will all fall out. Which style was used in 1968?

c) is there anyone out there who has replaced the tunamatic/stop tail piece/"vibrola" with an old style, i.e. angled, smooth surface wraptail? This is the setup on 1953-54 Les Pauls and assorted old Juniors and Specials. In this case the stud holes should fall completely under the large Type 2 pick-guard, which would make putting it back to stock pretty easy.

Thanks.

-avs

2. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

my '68 falls off....

(listens in intently to see if avs is talking about the lyre tail-piece as a replacement and is curious if it can't just be added on to the origional vibrola

3. avs3259

avs3259 New Member

I have a complete '67 Lyre Vibrola assembly which I won't put back on unless I were putting the guitar up for sale. I'm thinking wrap-tail, i.e. an angled stop tail piece which also functions as the bridge (no tunamatic). The original single and double cut Les Paul Juniors and Specials were all set up this way as well as some early SG Juniors and Specials, and of course 1953-54 Les Pauls; and currently '54 Les Paul R4 Historics, and '54 Les Paul R4 Historic Oxbloods (the Jeff Beck guitar). If installed correctly they will intone just fine and they give improved toneality and increased sustain (see ToneQuest Report 2003 Custom Shop issue; review of '54 Les Paul R4 Historic Gold Top with Humbuckers- free).

-avs

4. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Welcome AVS....

I too have a 68 SG Std, fitted with Grovers.

Re: (a) above, I believe that you need the plain round bushes... maybe soemone will confirm this.

(b) The standard bridge that year was the Tuneamatic with the nylon saddles - as seen on my Standard... and they fall off!!

(c) I wouldn't do this to a 68! But if you want to, tyou will need to enlarge the stud holes, fit inserts for the stop bar and might have to enlarge the holes on the pickguard. It would require a bit of tidying up to return to original - if that's what you are thinking? My feeling would be to leave it alone. If you really insist on the mod, go try out the Mod on a less venerable SG!

Just my two pence wiorth....

[​IMG]

5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG avs3259! :D :D :D

6. avs3259

avs3259 New Member

Very clean '68 Strange Brew.

You are correct on the bushing style (round). I was looking at the bushings sets at allparts.com and it would appear that the hex bushings are meant for either Grover or Schaller "vintage style" keys (have caps that look like Klusons). These keys use a threaded housing just like the Rotomatics. The original stock Gibsons are round.

The bridge mod would definitely devalue the guitar (even if put back to stock). Although somewhat dinged up, this guitar has no cracks or breaks anywhere. It has no major issues outside of the enlarged peg holes and the presence of a small switch in the controls area that isn't going to be around too long.

I'm starting to think the bridge might be a Gotoh. I'm going to check the underside for a name or model.

I couldn't be the only one out there with Grovers with caps that loosen up. Back in the '60s I recall having the same problems with Rotomatics on both a '53 Les Paul and a '67 SG Standard. Eventually the set screws get striped. Other than getting rid of these pegs is there a fix?