1968 vintage tuner button removal- broken shaft

Terrence

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I'm looking for some luthier advice please.
I need to change a tulip tuner button on my Gibson 1968 SG standard.

I accidently snapped off a tuning peg. I managed to source another vintage replacement tuner, but the button was a different shade to the rest of my aged, tobacco coloured tuner buttons.

I have removed my original tulip button from the broken shaft. Now I want to remove the button from my replacement tuner and fix on my original tulip button in its place.

Can anyone offer any tips on the best/strongest glue to use to bind the button to the shaft peg please?

And also any general tips on the best method?

Thanks heaps guys!

Terrence

Reaction score
P
The buttons are not glued on. They are fitted by heating the metal shaft and pushing it into the button.
Presumably it's a similar process to remove the tulip button?

I was thinking... heat the shaft and then pull the button upwards with some rubber jaw plyers?

3bolt79

Reaction score
If you want to change the color to look like smoke, try and drop the button in a cup of coffee overnight.

Terrence

Reaction score
Just a quick update....

I changed the button over and it works a dream, so all the original buttons and tuners are back together on my SG again after 20 years.

Went straight forward.
•Opened a spare vintage kluson tuner up and removed the shaft.
•Heated the shaft. Pulled the button off. •Pushed original button onto new shaft.
•Fitted new shaft with original button into original kluson tuner casing.
•Held upside down in vice and injected Stew Mac 10 glue inside the button to fill up any gaps.
•Once dry, installed onto guitar and re-strung it.

Thanks for you help! 👍

DrBGood

Reaction score
Just a quick update....

I changed the button over and it works a dream, so all the original buttons and tuners are back together on my SG again after 20 years.

Went straight forward.
•Opened a spare vintage kluson tuner up and removed the shaft.
•Heated the shaft. Pulled the button off. •Pushed original button onto new shaft.
•Fitted new shaft with original button into original kluson tuner casing.
•Held upside down in vice and injected Stew Mac 10 glue inside the button to fill up any gaps.
•Once dry, installed onto guitar and re-strung it.

Thanks for you help! 👍
Do we get to see that marvel ? Come on ...

Latest posts