1970 mach 1 mustang restoration photo journal

oldrockfan

Reaction score
Thought I would start a thread to document my new muscle car project. For those that don't remember my last muscle car restoration, it was a numbers matching S code 1969 mustang coupe. It took me about a year to do the full restoration on it.

69coupe16-1.jpg

The new project is a 1970 mach 1 mustang. I loved the look of mach 1 mustangs back in the day and have wanted to get one but just can't afford most of them. Well after months of checking the craigs list adds in a 500 mile radius of my home, I finally found what I was looking for. The car is a real mach 1 and came from a farmers barn where it had sat for years untouched. The car is pretty rough but the good news is the frame is not all rusted out and the price was definately right. It came with a 351 cleveland which was out of the car sitting on a pallet under a tarp. The engine will require work although it does turn over so hopefully will be an fairly easy rebuild. I am looking forward to working on this over the winter and hope to get it running by spring.

2011-12-05132508.jpg

2011-12-04192153.jpg

2011-12-04192121.jpg

2011-12-04221556.jpg

2011-12-04221611.jpg

oldrockfan

Reaction score
decided to start out with the interior which is going to need alot of work. The floorpans and seating perches were all usable but had a ton of rust and a few small holes. To keep my cost down, small holes were jb welded while larger holes were patched with sheet metal and mig welded in place. Then the entire floor was worked over with the angle grinder with a wire brush to get the rust out. Several hours later, most of the worst rust was off and the floor was vacuumed out prior to a coat of POR 15 rust converting paint sealer.

Next step will be to follow up with sound deadening undercoating to make sure the floor is properly treated and to give it a quieter ride.

2011-12-07102504.jpg

oldrockfan

Reaction score
and a pic of the floorpan after laying down the undercoating and smoothing things out. Floorboard is now ready for padding and carpet. Now time to start working on the interior trim pieces which are really rough with alot of cracks and holes. Since i have to keep the cost down, instead of buying new pieces, I will be patching them with jb weld and fiberglass.

2011-12-07130635.jpg

iblive

Reaction score
So, you going for the stock Mach 1 look or might you be going in a Boss 302 direction? The Boss was always one of my favorite Mustangs.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I am also a big fan of the boss mustangs but I am going to stick to the stock mach 1 look on this one. The big debate right now is what color to go with. I am going with an all black interior but am still undecided about the external color. I have it narrowed down to 3 colors: white with black hood stripes, black with white hood stipes or silver with black hood stripes.

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/12/29/00/05/1970_ford_mustang_mach_1-pic-5511.jpeg
black

http://www.mustangreview.com/images/70mach1_left.jpg
white

http://image.carcraft.com/f/9242361/116_0612_06_z+1970_mustang_mach_1+front_view.jpg
silver

iblive

Reaction score
My opinion: If you're going with the black interior the two lighter colors may offer up a nice contrast.... but for just color.... I kinda liked the darker one best.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
I'm kinda leaning towards the silver with black stripes although I've never mixed or painted a car in silver metallic so have zero experience with it. I've done lots of white and it is very easy but I did that on the last one. Black is tough because it really shows any blems in the bodywork and this car will require alot and my bodywork skill is kinda average. So black is probably out and since I did white before, silver might be fun. Just have to talk to the paint shop (sherwin williams auto) and see what they say about mixing and shooting silver metallic.

mdubya

Reaction score
I am partial to yellow with black stripes.

You're choices are very, very elegant and understated though.

Cool car! :Droolin:

Now I am going to have to go watch Gone in 60 Seconds (original) and Bullitt. ;)

oldrockfan

Reaction score
Re color: Yellow with black stripes is also a nice color. I knew a guy in high school that had a 1969 mach 1 with that exact color scheme and it was a nice car. I didn't want to risk going with the "give me a ticket" colors so that ruled out yellow and red.

Re movies: both great movies but that bullit was a fantastic movie. Probably my all time favorite muscle car movie. Were you aware that we restored an old charger as my son's first car?

IMAGE_040.jpg

John J

Reaction score
Very cool ORF. I haven't been on here for a week or so and didn't see this until now.
I know what you're going through with all the grinding/wire brushing/patching. It's alot of grunt work but the end result is rewarding. I knew you had the other car for sale and were looking for another. I'm glad you found one. Very cool.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
Yep I have already totally worn out a wire brush and had to replace a wheel on my angle grinder. I still have tons more rust removal to go but the weird thing is I actually enjoy doing that part of the project. There is a strange satisfaction to take old rusty metal that is 40+ years old and restore it to usable form. I have been making slow but steady progress on the car this week. Here is a pic of the engine compartement getting all cleaned up and painted.

2011-12-11170850.jpg

engine compartment getting all prepped to accept the engine

2011-12-11170911.jpg

patched up the original grill and roughed out the front end to test fit it. Lots of metal straightening to go yet

Zeppelin Rules

Reaction score
That's awesome!

I feel like this thing is going to end up being a total labour of love ;D

Personally I've always been rather partial to the dark dark green exterior.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
My 69 mustang back in high school was green with the dark green interior. I liked the interior but was not a big fan of the green exterior color. I am just about decided on the silver and black for this one with black interior. Black on the interior makes life easy since I can use krylon paint for plastic on existing parts and save some serious money on the restoration.

Just a quick update, I did some work on the passenger front fender and the headlight bucket. After alot of hammering, grinding and sanding, I got the front fender worked back into decent shape and a couple coats of primer laid down on the fender and finish coat on the headlight bucket.

2011-12-13170636.jpg

John J

Reaction score
Good for you ORF. I would like another car project but I can't afford one. Heck I can't afford the car I own now.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
money is tight here too. I am trying my best to restore the original parts whenever possible for this one so I keep my overall cost down. I am lucky that I already have a nice miller mig welder and most all of the tools I need to restore old muscle cars so most of it is just lots of labor. Today I must have spent 3 hours hammering out bent up sheet metal on the front valance and brace. It is slow going but you can start to see I am making some progress.

2011-12-16161820.jpg

John J

Reaction score
The front valance on most of the 60s cars got pretty beat up. they're also small and weird shaped. Fun to work on. Luckily the bumper tends to hide them. The windshield cowl/valance panel is a real treat. All those louvers that get bent up. Sanding one of those to get ready for paint will drive you nuts.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
on those cowl valances, sandblasting can be a huge time saver. Unfortunately, I don't have one so it will be breaking out the sandpaper for me. Isn't hard to do by hand, just takes a long time. I don't mind though, I actually really enjoy restoring old cars. Sounds crazy but I actually look forward to weekends so I can work on the car.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
got the drivers side front fender hammered out, sanded and primed. Also got the lower valance hammered out as good as I could and put a coat of primer on it. Then got the drivers side headlight bucket torn down, cleaned up and painted. Took me pretty much all day to get it all done so will have to let all the painted parts cure overnight and then tomorrow, I can re-assemble it all and see how the front end is shaping up.

If the front end looks ok, it will be time to get back to the interior. I have carpet to install and am going to try to use the existing seat frames and foam and just replace the vinyl on the original bucket seats.

2011-12-17164816.jpg

looks scary today but after I blow down all the sanding dust and re-assemble, should look better. Lower valance was really hard to hammer out

oldrockfan

Reaction score
got the drivers side fender and headlight assembly re-installed today. Also got the grill with the sport lights and the lower valance back on and doesn't look too bad. The valance isn't perfectly straight but you should have seen what it looked like when I was started. All bent up and twists all over it. Still some work to do on it before it will be ready to shoot paint but it is starting to look more like a mach 1 now.

I also pulled the cowl cover and sanded it down and shot a primer coat on it. Once it dries, I will put it back on and move to the interior to do some work on that.

2011-12-18153735.jpg

2011-12-18170358.jpg

oldrockfan

Reaction score
Since I am off work from Christmas till after the 1st, I have had some extra free time to work on the mustang. Here is a list of the things I have got done since last time:
1. cut out bad drivers side door hinge and replaced it with new hinge and bushings to cure a bad sagging problem.
2. pulled off the old ratty door panels and got new aftermarket panels. To keep cost down, I am re-using the pony emblems, aluminum accent panels and the original door lights. I buffed them out and test fitted a panel athough I won't install them formally until I get the rust holes fixed in the lower door section.
3. Repaired the tired old window regulators which now roll up and down easily.
4. Cleaned off all the old headliner and batting from the roof. Rust treated the roof and installed new batting. Still need to install the headliner but thats a 2 person job so gonna have to get a buddy to help with that part.
5. PUlled the ratty old bucket seats out and removed the old vinyl. Treated the rust and added foam as needed and installed new OEM vinyl. One of the seat tracks was totally rusted out so I had to get a doner seat bottom from a junked 69 to use and seats came out looking pretty good.
6. Since the rear seat never gets used and the original was not too bad, i decided to save some money and just clean up the original rear seat and dye it black. Not perfect but should work.

So thats what I got done this week. Still tons to do but slowly making progress.

2011-12-27163608.jpg

test fit of the new door panel

2011-12-30130727.jpg

Installing the batting so I am ready for the headliner

2011-12-30134851.jpg

the newly rebuilt bucket seats

2011-12-30152328.jpg

the rear seat top already dyed and the bottom still original

2011-12-30153215.jpg

first coat of dye on the bottom and I ran out of dye so will have to finish up tomorrow

Latest posts