The headliner is another fun job. When I put the one in my 66 I spent alot of time doing it. When I got done I thought to myself "it looks like crap". About two weeks later I looked up at it and it looked perfect. Go figure.
Got the headliner started but didn't have time to finish so will have to do the final stretching and gluing tomorrow. A trick I use to install headliners is to use metal clips to hold it in place and get it all lined up properly and trimmed.
headliner insulation being glued in place
view of the front of the headliner. Looks grey in pic but actually it is black
view of the back of the headliner, sides still need to be trimmed to fit
I am watching this project with envy!!!
The 'stangs were my favourite muscle car of all time. Here in Australia, they are pretty rare now. Am anticipating the end result, and in my minds eye, it looks awesome!!!
We have had a very mild winter so far which gets no complaints from me. Nice to be able to work out in the garage in winter without having to spend a ton of money heating it. Course payback is in summer when it is over 100 for weeks in a row ;D
[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=21998.msg263701#msg263701 date=1325517393]
Course payback is in summer when it is over 100 for weeks in a row ;D
Have a friend from HS that I've hooked up with again via Facebook. Lives in the Dallas area. I lost count of how many 100+ days in a row he had. I just know I never complained about a couple days in a row it was over 90 here.
Looking forward to the continuing saga (and photos) of your new build. Can hardly wait for the finished deal.
Those clips help alot. Don't they ORF. What I had problems with on the last one I did was along the sewn seam. I couldn't get it as smooth as I wanted. After a couple weeks it smoothed out real nice on it's own. Like I said before. Go figure.
The part I always have trouble with is the corners. The rest isn't that tough if you take your time but I never can get it stretched out properly in the corners. Hopefully it will settle in after a few days in the sun but even if it doesn't, it looks 100 times better than it did.
Next step was the carpet. Got it roughed in around the shifter and will let it sit overnight to settle in before I do the trimming and then I can put the seats back in. Every day gets me a little bit closer to finishing the project. ;D
got alot done on the mustang today. The interior actually looks pretty good to me now but you guys take a look and tell me what you think. The front buckets are recovered aftermarket vinyl. The bottom I picked from a junked 69 mustang worked fine and now that it is installed, you can't tell the difference. The back seat is the original brown one which I dyed black. The seat bottom has a split in the middle seam but I dyed the foam under it so it doesn't really show up so I think I am done with the rear seat for now and just need to fab up a top for the package tray so I can install a couple speakers I saved from my last mustang.
Next step is to get the used dash I bought off ebay installed. It has a little crack in it but was cheap and looks alot better than the one that was in the car so will work for now since I am on a tight budget.
Very nice ORF! I have to check out other parts of the forum more often, totaly missed this till now! It looks to be coming along nicely. I have a soft spot for '69-'70 Stangs as my older brother has a '69 Mach 1 with a 428CJ/Toploader combo. It is need of a resto along the same lines as you are performing on this car.
got the motor fired up on the stand for the first time today!!! Just a few quick test runs to make sure everything is working properly before I start the long installation process but really pumped up to hear it roar to life. The Hedman performance series long tube headers sound great and the holley street dominator aluminum intake with the holley 650 doublepumper seem to be a good match for this motor. Can't wait to get it in the Mach 1 and get it back on the road.
so thought it was time to do another update on the mustang. Since last time, I have replaced the front disc brake calipers and trued up the existing rotors, repacked and adjusted the wheel bearings, rebuilt and installed the bendix brake booster and master cylinder. Oh and the big thing is I finally got the 351cleveland installed!
There are still alot more things to do before I can get it out on the road but it is definately getting closer now.
pic of the engine compartment with the brake booster and master cylinder installed
Lookin good ORF! Good carb choice, I run the same on a mild 360 AMC and I love it. I hear a lot of negative Holley comments all the time, but I have mine dialed in to where I check it in the spring and never touch it till I park it in the fall. That car is going to be sweet to cruise around in.