1970 mach 1 mustang restoration photo journal

oldrockfan

Reaction score
Some guys just never get into the whole car thing David. My two boys are the perfect example... Raised them the exact same and yet my older son never had any interest in old cars while my younger son just picked up on it like a duck to water. Just yesterday, my younger son came over at lunchtime and he had to go to the garage and check out my progress on the mustang. I show it to my older son and all he says is when can he drive it :)

I will say though that working on old cars is alot like working on old guitars. It isn't so much that the end result ends up better than just buying a new one... it is the satisfaction of taking something old and ugly and restoring it that brings alot of satisfaction. Plus it is a great way to spend time just hanging out with friends. I would rather spend a day out in the garage with a friend or two working on an old car over watching tv any time.

Tony M

Reaction score
I never got into the "car" thing but I do understand it.
We are restoring a 104 year old house to it's original glory.
It's been a work in progress for many years but as we see
the results of each project it is very gratifying indeed.

iblive

Reaction score
My two sons never really got into the car thing either. With my oldest kid, cars are just a means to get from point A to point B. My youngest is at least interested in cars... just newer ones.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
thought I would post an update to this old mustang thread. With us moving out to the country and all... I haven't had time to work on the mustang yet. I expect that will change now though since I am just finishing up with my new workshop that I designed and built from scratch!!! It has taken me a few months to scrape together the money to buy the supplies but I've just about finished up my workshop. I have the exterior done except for some trim pieces and the interior wiring is pulled. I still have to buy and install the main line to hook up the power but that should happen next week. The shop is 24x31 so gives me plenty of room to work on my cars. Soon as I get the power up and running, I plan on moving everything over from storage to the new space and getting busy working on my 1970 mach 1 mustang.

2013-01-21152245_zps4e151758.jpg

there is the workshop in all its glory with my dog keeping an eye on things.

Tobacco Worm

Reaction score
Man o' man....That has to be a great feeling to be that close to having your shop done. Benches, lights. compressor and lines ready I presume? I know the bond one gets from doing one from the ground up. Had a few when I was younger and made some coin (Had three jobs too) but it was worth it. Enjoy the new shop!

Shinny side up!

Wade

frankd

Reaction score
Thats some nice work gotta vote for silver n black maybe just a shade darker
than the silver ya posted so many red and black rods out there.
no matter the color anyway ya go its gonna be nice I really liked the white n black you have very nice .
frankd

deMelo

Reaction score
Wow, ORF, I still hadn't seen this topic!!!

Very cool, partner!

I am a Ford aficionado, love vintage cars especially Mustangs!

oldrockfan

Reaction score
thanks guys, I pick up the trim pieces for the exterior friday and I still need to buy the main electrical line that gets buried and ties the shop into my main breaker. Man... copper is expensive these days. That line is going to set me back about a hundred and thats just for a 25 foot piece of 4 wire #6.

I already have all the outlets installed where I want them and have two fluorescent shop lights ready to go. Still need to do the sheetrock which won't exactly be fun but since it is a shop... at least I don't have to worry to much about appearance and can just throw it up. I have a rolling tool box and lots of tools already but am going to have to build a couple of workbenches on the cheap. I plan on setting up one small workbench to use for working on guitars, amps, guns, etc. I have a Gibson LP special faded that I have been wanting to re-finish so looking forward to doing that as well as working on the mustang.

I've never had a real workshop so plan to take full advantage of it and turn it into a real year-round man cave! I even built it with a window so I can add an old window AC unit that I've had for years to get some cooling in the summer! :dude:

Biddlin

Reaction score
"Man... copper is expensive these days."
So expensive, most of the street lamps in my neighbourhood are missing their wiring.:squint:
These days I have to choose between twisting a wrench or playing guitar, but before I got old and my savings got bushwhacked , I built up a '96 that made 410 bhp on a dyno . A ton of fun !
Biddlin ;>)/

deMelo

Reaction score
BTW I can't think of a better fit: Ford + Gibson/Epi + Jack Daniel's (even better if the first two are vintage)...

I never really had the chance to lay my hands on a vintage Ford model to restore or own, but I'm just crazy about them, and all but one, my own cars have been Ford models, though modern ones. I will always be driving a Ford :)

When I get the chance and the spare cash, I definitely will look for a Mustang or even a 70s Maverick to restore and cuddle :p

oldrockfan

Reaction score
My brother had one of the maverick grabbers back in the day and with the V8, it didn't do bad at all. I still like the body style of the mustangs the best though. Just something about them that just says classy!

iblive

Reaction score
Maverick Grabber.... A friend in HS had one of those too, although his had the 300CID inline six in it. Fun car.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
those inline 6 grabbers were pretty decent runners too. I remember guys who had them at my school and with a manual tranny, they could burn some rubber when asked although not quite as easy as the V8 equpped ones. Remember the colors on those grabbers? My brothers was the blue but a guy in my school had the orange one and I always thought it looked cool.

iblive

Reaction score
those inline 6 grabbers were pretty decent runners too. I remember guys who had them at my school and with a manual tranny, they could burn some rubber when asked although not quite as easy as the V8 equpped ones. Remember the colors on those grabbers? My brothers was the blue but a guy in my school had the orange one and I always thought it looked cool.

My friends was that Grabber Green. Oh, the stories that car could tell. I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out and any foul deeds that may have taken place.

oldrockfan

Reaction score
just a quick update to say I finally got some time and scraped up the cash to work on my mach 1 mustang. Laid down 2 basecoats and 2 clearcoats so far. Now have to let it cure for a week and then time to start wetsanding the clear down and see if it is good enough or if I need to lay down a couple more coats. I have to say this was my first attempt and painting a car with acrylic enamel... I am old school and used to painting with lacquer which was so nice. The acrylic is not nearly as easy to use for me so this paint job will be very average looking for sure but still kinda excited to finally get the time and money to work on finishing up the ole mach 1!

R.A.F.

Reaction score
:applause: Now this is good taste for cars! Good luck with your project man, I'm glad to see these machines being brought back to life.
Hopefully someday I'll have my own muscle car :fingersx:

deMelo

Reaction score
Very nice!!!! I wish I lived nearby and could check it out in person!

oldrockfan

Reaction score
thanks guys! The one thing I like as much as guitars is old muscle cars. I love all the old American cars from the 60s 70s. They were just cool in a way that modern cars can't touch.

Rowdymoon

Reaction score
just a quick update to say I finally got some time and scraped up the cash to work on my mach 1 mustang. Laid down 2 basecoats and 2 clearcoats so far. Now have to let it cure for a week and then time to start wetsanding the clear down and see if it is good enough or if I need to lay down a couple more coats. I have to say this was my first attempt and painting a car with acrylic enamel... I am old school and used to painting with lacquer which was so nice. The acrylic is not nearly as easy to use for me so this paint job will be very average looking for sure but still kinda excited to finally get the time and money to work on finishing up the ole mach 1!

I know what you mean .I used to refinish furniture (havent done it for a couple of years now) for a living and do the odd car, I am like you when it comes to spraying, I am old school alcohol/oil based...for my house, ya, 100% acrylic on my walls..lol....I found I had to rethink how I approched the job at times ( blast etc ) but it worked out..trial and error at times lol....I am not a Ford fan at all but she's looking good so far...:thumb:

sniff, now I am missing my 73 chevelle SS and my 71 oldsmobile..ahh spring and youth..

Latest posts